1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys. I know you're gonna hate me for this post. Like, REALLY hate me. But I have to get this off my chest.

I don't want my Batmobile anymore.

I got it cause it was such an insanely sick deal....just too good to pass up. $260 brand new...."second production run" so supposedly all the kinks worked out....and FREE shipping right to my door.

And I unboxed it and it was immaculate and just SOOOOOO big, bigger than I imagined. It was breathtaking. I bought a table to display it on, despite this horrible nagging feeling that I'd made a huge mistake.

Well, a few months have gone by and I have to come clean. The honeymoon is over. It doesn't even "wow" me anymore. It's just....THERE...taking up all that room.

I seriously doubt I'd be broken up at all if I got rid of it. But there's one huge snag. I'm in Japan. Who in the hell is gonna wanna pay the shipping to get this beast from Japan to whereever they are in the world? I have NO idea how many hundreds of dollars that would likely cost. Ugh.

Not only that...I unscrewed all the fasteners holding it in. I mean, I still have the box and the shipping box and all the packing material, but I'm not sure I could get it packed up as nicely as the factory did to safely travel around the world. There's a chance it could end up looking like crap for whatever kind soul wanted to relieve me of it.

I could try to sell it locally I guess....but it looks like it's still available brand new for just about what I paid for it...so I doubt anyone would want mine.

I'm not trying to be an a$$hole either....I know how much so many of you had to invest to get this piece, and here I got it so cheap but now I simply can't/don't want to accomodate it in my tiny apartment.

It's gorgeous. It really is. But it's just too big. I'm actually perfectly happy with my 1/18th Hot Wheels version and should have just left it at that but NOOOOO....I just HAD to go for the big one.

(Not the first time I did this either...I have a Fortress Maximus reissue sitting unused in my closet....and I was THIS close to getting the HT ED 209 for $200...glad I resisted that one.)

So yeah fellow freaks.....I really don't think I want this Batmobile anymore. What should I do??

Guys. I know you're gonna hate me for this post. Like, REALLY hate me. But I have to get this off my chest.

I don't want my Batmobile anymore.

I got it cause it was such an insanely sick deal....just too good to pass up. $260 brand new...."second production run" so supposedly all the kinks worked out....and FREE shipping right to my door.

And I unboxed it and it was immaculate and just SOOOOOO big, bigger than I imagined. It was breathtaking. I bought a table to display it on, despite this horrible nagging feeling that I'd made a huge mistake.

Well, a few months have gone by and I have to come clean. The honeymoon is over. It doesn't even "wow" me anymore. It's just....THERE...taking up all that room.

I seriously doubt I'd be broken up at all if I got rid of it. But there's one huge snag. I'm in Japan. Who in the hell is gonna wanna pay the shipping to get this beast from Japan to whereever they are in the world? I have NO idea how many hundreds of dollars that would likely cost. Ugh.

Not only that...I unscrewed all the fasteners holding it in. I mean, I still have the box and the shipping box and all the packing material, but I'm not sure I could get it packed up as nicely as the factory did to safely travel around the world. There's a chance it could end up looking like crap for whatever kind soul wanted to relieve me of it.

I could try to sell it locally I guess....but it looks like it's still available brand new for just about what I paid for it...so I doubt anyone would want mine.

I'm not trying to be an a$$hole either....I know how much so many of you had to invest to get this piece, and here I got it so cheap but now I simply can't/don't want to accomodate it in my tiny apartment.

It's gorgeous. It really is. But it's just too big. I'm actually perfectly happy with my 1/18th Hot Wheels version and should have just left it at that but NOOOOO....I just HAD to go for the big one.

(Not the first time I did this either...I have a Fortress Maximus reissue sitting unused in my closet....and I was THIS close to getting the HT ED 209 for $200...glad I resisted that one.)

So yeah fellow freaks.....I really don't think I want this Batmobile anymore. What should I do??

I totally feel you here. I lost the wow factor on this too. It's happened with every bat vehicle I have bought but this one surprised me the most. I just can't shake how toy like it looks rather than like a high end collectible. I think it's the paint on it. It also felt a little too long like it's slightly out of scale. It feels like blasphemy because of how much I love this movie and the figures but the Batmobile just lost its luster and took up so much room so I sold it locally. If you can sell yours locally I'd say do it, especially since you paid so little for it. So far I don't miss it at all and I'm happy to have some space back.

Last edited:
I feel the same way about 98% of my collection, big to small, especially Hot Toys. I'm starting to see it's all crap.

As for the Batmobile, if I only paid $260, I'd just keep it and try to enjoy it. At that price, that's about what figures go for. There's no need to get all neurotic about it, think of those that paid . . . $650+ and got it in not so great of shape, or hell, feel the same way you do. Keep it and I guarantee that there will be some days where you sit back and think, "man, what a cool piece".

Last edited:
I'm still mad for it... It depends how much you love burton movies... for me, batmobile is the most important piece in my collection.

But DiFabio says, I look at my HotToys (despite Batman and Terminator) and I'm starting to regret...

Considering I'm a more casual Batman fan than others here you'd think that would have happened to me of anyone. Hasn't though, still get a kick out of seeing my 89mobile.

No buyer's regret from me. I only paid $260 for mine as well, but I get a huge kick out of seeing it everyday in my office/Batcave. I think it looks very much like a high end collectable on the table I have it displayed on, especially with my detolfs behind it and my glass shelves behind that. It really helps add to the gallery look I'm going for. I never thought I'd be able to get it, and I love it way more than I thought I would.

If I had to sell off my collection, I'm pretty sure I'd keep all my '89 Batman Hot Toys above everything else.

I only paid $260 for mine as well,

Gosh dang! Where are you guys getting these for $260?!?! I am about to enter the market for one of these and if I could find one for that sort of price I would be ecstatic! Any leads anyone? I'm in Indiana. I am planning on hitting up the "Want to buy/trade" section soon, as well.. have a piece or two that might get me closer to this guy for cheaper.

Gosh dang! Where are you guys getting these for $260?!?! I am about to enter the market for one of these and if I could find one for that sort of price I would be ecstatic! Any leads anyone? I'm in Indiana. I am planning on hitting up the "Want to buy/trade" section soon, as well.. have a piece or two that might get me closer to this guy for cheaper.

That was a one time price mistake deal plus other discounts that have nothing to do with the cost, that price is laughably low. Even cars with damage/imperfections sell $500+ shipped normally.

That was a one time price mistake deal plus other discounts that have nothing to do with the cost, that price is laughably low. Even cars with damage/imperfections sell $500+ shipped normally.

Yeah I know that low would be unheard of regularly. I will try my luck on the Commerce forums... Plus there's always the BBTS discounted ones, which I may spring for.

I'm stuck with one because it's huge and there's no way to sell it honestly. I actually don't mind the batmobile but I have no room for it. I saw it the day it got delivered and never again

I had a whole wall in a small (but dedicated) room that it could go along. Space wasn't a concern really. I can see how it happens though, you buy into other people's hype, you hope that your worries about space will fade away when you get it - they don't - perhaps after that criticisms seep in about a 'toylike' appearance and so on, and you're then thinking about selling it and how to go about that.

I still have to sell my Tumbler. Gonna have to be local. Wonder what I could ask for it from an average joe who maybe isn't a collector but wouldn't mind having a novelty item in their place. What kind of price tag would I not be laughed out of it by someone who isn't familiar with high-end toys...

I feel the same way about 98% of my collection, big to small, especially Hot Toys. I'm starting to see it's all crap.

As for the Batmobile, if I only paid $260, I'd just keep it and try to enjoy it. At that price, that's about what figures go for. There's no need to get all neurotic about it, think of those that paid . . . $650+ and got it in not so great of shape, or hell, feel the same way you do. Keep it and I guarantee that there will be some days where you sit back and think, "man, what a cool piece".

DiFabio, I find your comments very interesting as I often struggle with the very nature of our hobby. On one hand, I am a diehard collector from my early youth, but I sometimes wonder why do I invest so much time and money in stuff that will deteriorate and decompose down the road. I find it ironic that I take good care of these toys, only to realize that in the end, it will go to someone else or simply get thrown out. Intellectually, I understand the futility of this hobby, but my heart often over rides reasoning for the sheer emotional (albeit temporary) joy these things bring...

Well this thread got really depressing! :)

I get all these sentiments though. It's why my collection never really stays the same for long, stuff is exciting to get, enjoyable for a while, then stops being as enjoyable. Only a few pieces have that true staying power for me. I've sold almost all my Hot Toys except for the Avengers, which I'm mostly keeping because of the effort I put into getting them and that I feel they will continue to climb in value. They are also awesome, but not quite as awesome as the day I got them. I feel the same about some of my statues, but those I tend to be more picky with buying than Hot Toys so I appreciate the ones I have more. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't look at a few of my statues and go "wow". But sentimentality plays a big role in this stuff as well and I don't just mean attachment to a character. The how and why of acquiring a piece plays a big part in the longevity of enjoyment.

My Bowen Thanos Museum Statue is a good example. I love Thanos, always have, but if I'm being honest, he is a far less important character to me than MANY others. I just love his style and look, really. Held a charm for me growing up. But this is one of my favorite pieces, if not my favorite piece, because my lady gave it to me for Xmas. It was a total shock, I never thought she'd spend that kind of money on a collectible for me. She thinks my collection is ridiculous, but she noted that I had mentioned it at the comic store the one time I took her and I was floored when I opened it on christmas. My family was there and all looked at me like I was insane. This piece will never lose it's luster and that is a big reason why.

Space though... man it's a B. My feeling is generally that once I don't have space for something, it's gone. If other stuff takes precedence and has me putting it in the closet, I tend to just up and sell it. I hate having expensive things whose only purpose is to be looked at sitting in a box.

As to the thought that we spend a lot of money on these strictly material objects, I have made a decision to stop going buck wild, be more judicious and instead spend money on experiences. I want to travel more and spend my money on memories. I often look at my collection and think "I'm staring at a month I could have spent in Italy" or something to that effect. Yet other times I think hey, I can keep all this stuff, experiences are transient. But truly it's the other way around, these toys are transient and immaterial.

That said, I do love this hobby and my collection, I just need to make sure to check myself once in a while. And if one of you batmobile regretters wants to sell me theirs for $260, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. OK, maybe a little more than $260. :)

Last edited:
I'd sell mine at cost ($260) plus shipping.....BUT!! Seeing as how I live in Japan, I doubt that would work out well for anyone!!

For me the key is to be very selective. I try to only buy figures that wow me, and I figure out where I'm going to display them before I buy. The idea of buying a figure and keeping it in its box undisplayed is completely foreign to me. My first action figures were Megos when i was a little kid and so for me action figures are supposed to be handled and posed. I pose figures to create little action scenarios on the shelf, than a month or so later I might switch them up. . I also do a bit of kitbashing to get my figures looking exactly the way I want them. I put a Christopher Reeve head on my Cavill Superman figure, I'm using a Scarecrow head on top of a Dead End Joker body to make a great Arkham Inmate Scarecrow (and I gave him Sideshow Harley's needle to use as a weapon), I added longer leg pegs to Keaton Batman to increase his height, and I'm using the Kumik Chloe Moretz head on my Play Toy Hit Girl figure. Doing this kind of stuff keeps the hobby fresh and exciting for me.

For me the key is to be very selective. I try to only buy figures that wow me, and I figure out where I'm going to display them before I buy. The idea of buying a figure and keeping it in its box undisplayed is completely foreign to me. My first action figures were Megos when i was a little kid and so for me action figures are supposed to be handled and posed. I pose figures to create little action scenarios on the shelf, than a month or so later I might switch them up. . I also do a bit of kitbashing to get my figures looking exactly the way I want them. I put a Christopher Reeve head on my Cavill Superman figure, I'm using a Scarecrow head on top of a Dead End Joker body to make a great Arkham Inmate Scarecrow (and I gave him Sideshow Harley's needle to use as a weapon), I added longer leg pegs to Keaton Batman to increase his height, and I'm using the Kumik Chloe Moretz head on my Play Toy Hit Girl figure. Doing this kind of stuff keeps the hobby fresh and exciting for me.

I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. I'm very new to this hobby (just started collecting this past March) and quickly found that if I'm not very selective, I'd go bankrupt. While I don't yet know where I'm going to display my figures (I have an unassembled Detolf sitting in our office @ home), I find that if I'm not careful, I'd just as easily have 9-10 Detolfs full of these items.

I was really casting about for what the 'theme' of my collection would be - then realized that what got me into this hobby in the first place was seeing a picture of the Hot Toys Raiden. The 'wow factor' just hit me and I put in a preorder. I've been really only buying items that 'wow' me since then (though I've strayed - occasionally :)).

Back