1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the 75 years of Batman, they issued a book called " Batmobile, the complete history" this month. I ordered it. It seems to be very detailed with beautiful pics. It could be a great tool of reference with official cars to see what is accurate and what is not and stop refering to wrong replicas.

:wink1:
This picture proves that the 89 Batmobile is silver. The 66 Batmobile is photographed in identical lighting and there is a clear difference between the obviously black 66 and the dark silver 89.

This picture proves that the 89 Batmobile is silver. The 66 Batmobile is photographed in identical lighting and there is a clear difference between the obviously black 66 and the dark silver 89.

unfortunately your are not correct. the 89 Batmobile was originally a matte black with a hit of green in the paint. None of the existing 89 Batmobiles have the original paint on them, although some people who own them restored the paint color close to what it was. So the one pictured in the book is not the original paint job, and its not silver either...

The 66 Batmobile has a deep black paint with a ton of clear coat over it. That's why it looks jet black.

You have a very large toy room.

Must be awesome. Back in a little while, going down to admire the display room. How many can really say that for a dedicated room?

Such an awesome piece displayed there as the biggest display attraction, Rex Mason. Nice place as well!

Isn't it frightening how some peoples eyes see things. That and the fact there's more than one shade of black. I think I'll order this book though.

Last edited:
According to Terry Ackland-Snow (Art director) on the 89 movie, the paint was a flip paint, which shone different hues depending on which way the light caught it. Taken from the Batmobile documentary, on the Dark Knight Rises extras. Also, in the book mentioned above (p54), they mention that it used 6 different layers of colours, so it wasn't a flat black.

Today was the day common sense prevailed and I came to the realization I will not own this amazing piece :(.

With a tumbler and a few other huge pieces in my collection I must content myself with just the DX08 & 09.

Congrats to everyone who has the space for it.

According to Terry Ackland-Snow (Art director) on the 89 movie, the paint was a flip paint, which shone different hues depending on which way the light caught it. Taken from the Batmobile documentary, on the Dark Knight Rises extras. Also, in the book mentioned above (p54), they mention that it used 6 different layers of colours, so it wasn't a flat black.
right, some used to call it a "beetle" color because it would look like many different colors depending on the lighting because they mixed the black with metallics, blues, greens etc...then they would wipe it down with some kind of clear coat to make it look shiny.

the 89 miniatures on set were painted purple to make them look dark black on-screen.

Yeah, I read through the thread and I think you ordered and cancelled this 3 times before biting the bullet? :lol

But seriously I'm out!

:lol :lol

Yeah I think I ordered it 3 times, cancelled the first two and eventually bought it on the third when it was released and there would be no going back. It was ridiculous. Glad now that I have it.

You'd be best now to stay away from this thread. Although that should be easier now that the hype period for this is gone.

Wouldn't it be a stinker if Hot Toys re-releases this with refinements… Truthfully I can't see it since they would have to create new moulds, correct? = Hitting their profits.

Wouldn't it be a stinker if Hot Toys re-releases this with refinements… Truthfully I can't see it since they would have to create new moulds, correct? = Hitting their profits.

They won't. Tumbler reissue was identical to the first.

If HT were to do another 89 car, I bet it will be in the 1/12 scale.

Don't tempt me Frodo!!!!!

For real though....I'd trade in my 1/6th car and figure for a 1/12th.

I know you all think I'm crazy, but I just think 6 inch scale is perfect.

This book is absolutely stunning. Arrived this morning but the Keaton car in this is the Returns version. There's aerials at very top of the ledge.

Back