1/6 Bandai stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I'll get these. Not too bad for the price, but no way to be compared to the HT.

Did anyone expect HT level quality for the price? I am seriously wondering what the expectations for these were?

Oh I was. Bandai's Star Wars Spaceship models are second to none. They're extremely accurate and for that sort of thing, on the same level as Hot Toys.
I own the 1:12 R2-D2 & BB-8 droids, and a couple of their 1:12 Halo figures and they're all extremely accurate. Bandai also makes the S.H. Figuarts figures and they're considered to be on the same level of HT for 1:12 figures. They lack some realism, but that's kind of acceptable for a 1:12 scaled figure.
If a company is going to bother to make a model, they should strive for accuracy and realism. Here this feels like a big version of the 1:12 figures which might be expected, but if you're going to make a larger model, why not take advantage of the size and engineer it better and more realistic looking. Hot Toys makes their Stormtroopers in the exact same way as the Bandai stuff, they're cast in plastic, removed from their sprues, cut off points are sanded down, they're glued together, painted, and assembled onto the figure body. Here, the steps after casting are DIY, and Bandai engineers their models to have different colors cast as separate pieces in color so there's no painting needed. Yeah Bandai doesn't have an internal body with clothing, that just means the joints are engineered into the armor pieces which I don't think should make them any less realistic to HT all that much (other than lack of clothing). I don't see why Bandai couldn't just recreate the same level of realism and accuracy as Hot Toys, other than just not trying.

I wish Hot Toys would just release a budget version of their ANH Stormtrooper. Cast all the plastic for the armor, accessories, and body but keep them on the sprues and I wouldn't even mind that they're unpainted. Make the basic jump suit and throw it into a bag. Include waterslide decals if needed. Print clear instructions and put all of this into a non-fancy HT SW branded box. Sell it for $80.
If you think that's unheard of, Hot Toy's Aliens Colonial Marines were sold as model kits. The plastic body was removed from the sprues and partially assembled, and the armor and accessories were pre-assembled and painted. They did this as part of their license restrictions but I strongly feel there is a large market that would love DIY accurate and realistic 1:6 scale poseable Stormtrooper model kits.
Probably won't ever happen, HT makes more money selling completed figures for more than if they made DIY kits for less.

i'm pretty excited about these. I think people are missing what bandai kits are really about. Bandai's philosophy is to make kits that are simple to build but look great if you have no modeling skills, and look amazing if you do. plan on getting two of these guys to go with my hot toys vader. I'm glad they are making some 1/6 figures, since its so much more rewarding for me to build it and put some effort in rather than just unbox it and put it on a shelf. hopefully venturing into this scale means there's a few larger ships in the works.

i'm pretty excited about these. I think people are missing what bandai kits are really about. Bandai's philosophy is to make kits that are simple to build but look great if you have no modeling skills, and look amazing if you do. plan on getting two of these guys to go with my hot toys vader. I'm glad they are making some 1/6 figures, since its so much more rewarding for me to build it and put some effort in rather than just unbox it and put it on a shelf. hopefully venturing into this scale means there's a few larger ships in the works.

All I care about is how good the helmet (and to some degree the armor as well) sculpt looks. It's not looking great so far, but the lighting is very harsh, so I'm reserving judgement.

All I care about is how good the helmet (and to some degree the armor as well) sculpt looks. It's not looking great so far, but the lighting is very harsh, so I'm reserving judgement.

Seems to be the lighting to me. There are some more pictures out and in this one, the one in the back right looks pretty good to me. I think it's jsut the super bright lighting from directly above.

14440732_1479066425443010_6674676769376314247_n.jpg

Yeah, I really hope it's just the lighting. be awesome if these worked out as a viable low cost alternative.

They look like soft strips of plastic, and in this shot they look as though they've sprung out/detached from the sides:

14516513_1477954328887553_6107482581340044601_n.jpg

Party pooper.:monkey4

In other news, it also looks like someone sat on a TIE Interceptor.

Haha, I'll go see if someone did start a thread :)

Also interested what gun that Deathtrooper has in his hand. That is looking pretty devastating !

I might have a closer look at that X-Wing though. Looks nice. Wonder what scale.

Back