Bag End Environment - from Weta

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The limited edition version is one that will benefit from being displayed on a "lazy Susan"...

I'll most likely pick up an open edition later on, down the road. I'm not too keen on the tiny detailing of the interior, especially for double the price.

Whoever does not buy this piece at this price is a retard.

Actually, I would say the opposite is true, esp. in regard to the open edition piece. Traditional speaking LOTR environments have not done very well with the majority selling for significantly less than retail. I highly doubt a less desirable version of Bag End with an open ES is going to even remotely retain it's retail value. And after recently paying a grand total of $150 for the Mines of Moria, Helm's Deep, The Golden Hall, Amon Hen, and Weathertop I can tell you there is no way I would ever consider paying $125 for the regular version.

Actually, I would say the opposite is true, esp. in regard to the open edition piece. Traditional speaking LOTR environments have not done very well with the majority selling for significantly less than retail. I highly doubt a less desirable version of Bag End with an open ES is going to even remotely retain it's retail value. And after recently paying a grand total of $150 for the Mines of Moria, Helm's Deep, The Golden Hall, Amon Hen, and Weathertop I can tell you there is no way I would ever consider paying $125 for the regular version.

:lecture QTF... and this is coming from someone that has the LE on order :D

I as actually referring to the CE, which I think might go up in value by a couple hundred bucks give or take once Hobbit fever hits full stride. But yeah, I completely agree with you in that having an open edition will definitely hurt the grailability of this piece. If the CE was given an ES of 111 and the OE was actually limited to an ES of 1000, then I could most definitely see it reaching Stone Trolls or even Orthanc prices. And the open edition, whether it will still be available or not, will probably hold steady at $125 (plus or minus). We have to consider that this is Bag End after all, and arguably the most iconic of all LOTR environments. Lesser environments such as the Golden Hall are not fair comparisons IMO. But then again the SSW Gandalf the Grey statue was an open edition, which did not gain significant value, and he's probably the most iconic LOTR character there is. :duh

Either way I'm just very thankful that it's being made and that I have the opportunity to buy it at what I consider a fair price. I won't be collecting this piece because of perceived future value, but because I genuinely want this as part of my humble collection. ;)

I as actually referring to the CE, which I think might go up in value by a couple hundred bucks give or take once Hobbit fever hits full stride. But yeah, I completely agree with you in that having an open edition will definitely hurt the grailability of this piece. If the CE was given an ES of 111 and the OE was actually limited to an ES of 1000, then I could most definitely see it reaching Stone Trolls or even Orthanc prices. And the open edition, whether it will still be available or not, will probably hold steady at $125 (plus or minus). We have to consider that this is Bag End after all, and arguably the most iconic of all LOTR environments. Lesser environments such as the Golden Hall are not fair comparisons IMO. But then again the SSW Gandalf the Grey statue was an open edition, which did not gain significant value, and he's probably the most iconic LOTR character there is. :duh

Either way I'm just very thankful that it's being made and that I have the opportunity to buy it at what I consider a fair price. I won't be collecting this piece because of perceived future value, but because I genuinely want this as part of my humble collection. ;)

The CE, which I have on order, could very well appreciate in value, but who really knows for sure. :dunno The price isn't bad, but I was expecting a much lower ES, and no, having several thousand open editions floating around isn't going to help matters.

And while I don't buy any of my collectibles based on a perceived secondary value, I must admit I do prefer they at least retain their retail value as opposed to watching them drop in value by as much as 75%. :(

While you guys are worry about the ES, I was more worried about the high delivery cost they charge. The S&H was about 33% of the cost of the item.

No joke! :horror

So I wonder if any of you guys have experience in ordering something from Weta. I had to flame them here, but my gut feelings tells me that they are not as established as SS in their ordering system. I have written twice to them and they have responsed that better packaging will increase their cost. Gosh! They are not even using UPS, does NZ post really charge that much??

My last experience from them was not a very good one: My Numenorean shield box was badly damage and they response was that they have no control over postal handing. With 26.57 NZD of S&H for a 35USD item, they are suggesting that they couldn't put more bubble (or peanut) to protect the item.

Damage.jpg

So now I am very concern about the delivery of Argonath and Bag End.

If there are any NZ boardmembers, will you share your experience about the postal service in NZ?

For Bag End,
5.9" x 11.8" x 7.1" (H x W x D)
Weight:4lbs (1.8 Kg)

(Interestingly, there is a significant weight difference between the 2 editions)

For Argonath
Dimensions:6.3" x 11" x 7.5" (H x W x D)
16 cm x 28 cm x 19 cm
Weight:6.6lbs (3 Kg)

Weta have charged me 86.85 NZD (approx 60 USD) for delivery to Singapore.

The closest approximation of a SSW LOTR product which I am familiar with is the Mines of Moria with the following dimensions:-

Product Size:7.5" H (190.5mm) x 7.5" W (190.5mm) x 12" D (304.8mm)*
Est. Shipping Weight:10.00 lbs (4.54 kg)*

I wonder if that takes 60USD for shipping then?

Any insights... please share.:eek:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that GTB....i can't really comment as they have a warehouse in the UK and shipping for me is very cheap.
Do they ship to you from NZ? Forgive me, i'm usually very good with geography but is Singapore closer to NZ or the US?

Okie, lets take a look at this:-

free-vector-world-map.jpg

Arrow indicates where Singapore is.... so how far can it be???

I know at one stage, shipping to Singapore was coming from the US warehouse and not the NZ one.

Only recently has this been changed and the postage costs dropped by a large amount, from what I hear.

As a comparison, the shipping cost for my Bag End CE, is $55NZD, which as far as international airmail postage goes, isn't too bad for how things are now days.

I ordered the OE of this but I'm thinking of canceling. SS has announced/hinted at so many things that I really want (GTG PF, Jack Sparrow PF, Jason Voorhees statue, Spiderman LSB, LOTR maquettes, Carnage CQ, etc.) that I would rather use my $$ for those instead. I've GOT to win that lottery!:banghead

Alot of that stuff won't be shipping or charged to you for a while yet though, and Bag End will be shipping this summer.
But, the open edition will be available for a long long time so if that's the one you want you'll be able to pick it up next year if needs be.

C'mon man, it's Bag End! Every LOTR fan should have one! Made by the people who designed it for the film, with critical input from John Howe, Alan Lee and the art department! You need this in your life! :banana

Back