Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Banner has elements of that guy – we don’t really think of him as being as irresponsible as Tony Stark, but the mother****er tested gamma radiation on himself, with really terrible, way-worse-than-Tony-Stark results.
This is interesting. Banner, when he's not Hulk, seems fairly reasonable and in control of things in the Avengers movies, so it did seem a bit out of place for him to be convinced so easily to do something so crazy as to try and insert this new AI into Stark's robots. But it makes perfect sense when you think about his back story here :lol He's really not very responsible at all, and both he and Tony have absolutely no business doing all the crazy **** that they do, but. . .they're super geniuses, and no one calls them out on it really, so. . .

I would put the Amazing Spider-Man movies on the failed "dark and gritty list"
Really? I've never thought that at all. They don't seem much darker than the Raimi films to me. Peter cries a lot, and a few people important to him die, but that's nothing new. The tone wasn't "dark and gritastic" like Man of Steel or anything. I can imagine no world where Nolan would allow Foxx Electro or Giamatti Rhino into one of his movies :lol

Doyle clearly used that piece to air out some deep, personal grievances about society in general. I'd hate to have her unleash on me. :lol
If people can't or don't want to understand the Marvel movie universe as it is being played out as a standard 6-issue limited series with the peripheral tie-in titles, then that's their problem. The synergy of this thing is immense and impressive. The whole, when it is done, will definitely be much greater than the sum of its parts.

She keeps chiming in about how big a fan she is of "stupid" movies, like it gives her some kind of credibility. But from that piece she wrote, I get the feeling she simply loves the things she qualifies as "stupid" because it makes her feel smart to pick them apart. :dunno

Really? I've never thought that at all. They don't seem much darker than the Raimi films to me. Peter cries a lot, and a few people important to him die, but that's nothing new. The tone wasn't "dark and gritastic" like Man of Steel or anything. I can imagine no world where Nolan would allow Foxx Electro or Giamatti Rhino into one of his movies :lol

Well the first movie was definitely part of the "dark and gritty" group of superhero films, it was also a lot more grounded. The second tried copying Marvel and failed, but yea I deleted that from my post for that very reason :lol

MOS and TASM are a lot similar in tone and quality if you ask me, but I did think TASM was better than MOS. Both movies had a horrible executed scene in where the hero's guardian dies.

Besides MOS, what other "dark and gritty" superhero films have there been after TDK trilogy?

The first ASM and MOS were them, and we're marketed as such, both were disappointments.

MOS and TASM are a lot similar in tone and quality if you ask me, but I did think TASM was better than MOS. Both movies had a horrible executed scene in where the hero's guardian dies.
We'll agree to disagree on this one, then. I only saw Amazing Spider-Man once, so maybe I didn't analyze it enough to pick up on some of those things, but it didn't strike me as particularly dark at all, while in the case of Man of Steel (which I also only saw once) it struck me in the face like a sledge hammer.

This is interesting. Banner, when he's not Hulk, seems fairly reasonable and in control of things in the Avengers movies, so it did seem a bit out of place for him to be convinced so easily to do something so crazy as to try and insert this new AI into Stark's robots. But it makes perfect sense when you think about his back story here :lol He's really not very responsible at all, and both he and Tony have absolutely no business doing all the crazy **** that they do, but. . .they're super geniuses, and no one calls them out on it really, so. . .

I admit that a part of me is going to miss having Whedon work on these films. Based on TWS it doesn't seem like Disney could have picked a better replacement than the Russo Bros (*fingers crossed that they aren't one-hit wonders*) but Whedon has such a broad and deep understanding of so many Marvel characters, and can deconstruct them to make them both relatable and amusing, but always with reverence for the source material.

But according to the first hulk movie- if that's where this version is coming from- Banner was caught in a gamma Rays. He never willingly tested them on himself. That was the tv show.

We'll agree to disagree on this one, then. I only saw Amazing Spider-Man once, so maybe I didn't analyze it enough to pick up on some of those things, but it didn't strike me as particularly dark at all, while in the case of Man of Steel (which I also only saw once) it struck me in the face like a sledge hammer.

Spider-Man is a dark and gritty character, and the movies need to reflect that.

0fuuZLN.jpg

But according to the first hulk movie- if that's where this version is coming from- Banner was caught in a gamma Rays. He never willingly tested them on himself. That was the tv show.
Beginning of the Norton film--the version of Banner in the Avengers--shows his origin as essentially being the same as the TV show, not the Ang Lee movie.

https://vimeo.com/13912291

Spider-Man is a dark and gritty character, and the movies need to reflect that.

0fuuZLN.jpg
LOL Is that from those Spidey Super Stories comics? Can't believe this awesome looking nega-Spidey never made it to the "616" comics:

OCfhcop.jpg

Fair enough :lol

Pretty soon, Hellcat will be part of the Marvel Studios-verse as she has a role in Jessica Jones. It's not inconceivable that we will see that very scene play out in Avengers 3!

Captain America tried and he got a repulsor blast to the chest lol.

Doyle clearly used that piece to air out some deep, personal grievances about society in general. I'd hate to have her unleash on me. :lol
If people can't or don't want to understand the Marvel movie universe as it is being played out as a standard 6-issue limited series with the peripheral tie-in titles, then that's their problem. The synergy of this thing is immense and impressive. The whole, when it is done, will definitely be much greater than the sum of its parts.

She keeps chiming in about how big a fan she is of "stupid" movies, like it gives her some kind of credibility. But from that piece she wrote, I get the feeling she simply loves the things she qualifies as "stupid" because it makes her feel smart to pick them apart. :dunno

Very well said cilantro!

You know, it would've just been easier for her to ask Marvel for an extended cut instead of typing all that out. :lol

I admit that a part of me is going to miss having Whedon work on these films. Based on TWS it doesn't seem like Disney could have picked a better replacement than the Russo Bros (*fingers crossed that they aren't one-hit wonders*) but Whedon has such a broad and deep understanding of so many Marvel characters, and can deconstruct them to make them both relatable and amusing, but always with reverence for the source material.

This is why I don't buy into all the hate he gets, he's no dummy when it comes to story telling, character arcs and dialogue, he knows what the **** he's doing. :lol

This pefectly illustrates why I have trouble reading old comics haha

So much great art, and so so so so much terrible writing. :lol It often makes me wish someone would go back and rewrite things to fit in the same word balloons, but just sound better.

Pretty soon, Hellcat will be part of the Marvel Studios-verse as she has a role in Jessica Jones. It's not inconceivable that we will see that very scene play out in Avengers 3!

They'd have to clean up Hellcat's language, though.

Between Thanos dropping Drat bombs from his Thanos-coptor, and Hellcat's foul mouth, it'd be a struggle to get a PG-13 rating. Not to mention all the violence from the ground shaking.

Back