Australians

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the beach Thats 800 meters from my front door:D

IMGP2232.jpg

IMGP2233.jpg

IMGP2241.jpg

anywhere north of Sydney is great:D

How much time will you be spending in Australia?

Yeah, ya duffus. How are we supposed to plan an itinerary? Dates. :tap
You sound like you have all the right information, just not real confident about it.

What's the Cheapest way to travel? What's cheap these days? Trains and buses. Here in Melbourne there's a tram that circles through the city that's free. It does laps, so expect a wait. I'd just walk around. There's the Botanical gardens alongside the Yarra river. Melbourne Gaol where they hung Ned Kelly 130 years ago. The zoo, the aquarium, the museum, which backs onto an IMax. The Exhibition buildings might have something on. Plenty of pubs, live music, theatre, different cuisines. You might want to take a train to Belgrave, which takes you to Puffing Billy for a trip through the hills, onward over the Dandenong Ranges mountain, for a walk through the bush, you might be lucky to hear a Lyre bird, but it can be hard to tell because they're such good mimmickers. Wait for the chainsaw, thats a giveaway. There's an artist retreat there, an old bloke, who died not long ago, sort of a hermit. Walk through his garden and check out his sculptures. Over the mountain you might want to trek through the wine valleys, on your way to Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary.

Uluru is smack in the middle. Get in, get out. I think they still allow tourists to climb The Rock, but there's been steps made to try and stop it. Never been there myself, so I should shut up. Been to Brisbane, took in the Amusement Parks, Wet n Wild, WB Studios, Dreamworld and Sea World. Stayed in Surfers, Paradise that is, and enjoyed Ripley's Believe it or Not, the beaches, the tropical rain forest, animal sanctuaries etc. Tasmania is cool. I mean it's really cool, bring a jumper. Lots of different scenery all the time. Hobart is small, a ten minute drive and your deep in the country. Huon Valley has a Jet boat ride. A lot of history wherever you go really. Port Arthur is the site of the first penal colony, and there's some ruins which are particulary interesting. I went to one of those 'walk through the trees' places. A suspension walk through the upper canopy. There's a few caves to check out.

Where was I? Walk ya lazy coot, busses and trains.

New Zealand isn't far. You can check flights online to know how much and if it's within your budget. You'd want to spend two or three weeks, and you'd be rushing it even in a hire car.

Hotels can be expensive. Hostels sound like your best option. They're everyhwere, but funnily enough I never notice them.

Food. Get a counter meal at a pub. Be careful because the same meal can cost you more in the bistro, order at the bar.

So, all of this being said, what you need to know depends on how long you have. If you want to swim, go to Brisbane and head to Surfers, where the water's warm all the time. It's bloody bracing down south, but it can get hot, then it's just what you might need.

So what are a you coming here for exactly? And how long? It's the sex isn't it? Just prop in Sydney.

Last edited:
Creecher, thanks so much for the info!

I'm not 100% sure on the dates yet. Although it looks like I may be going alone, in which case the dates are entirely up to me. The plan was to go with one of my best friends, but it just doesn't look like she's going to be able to afford it. I've waited several years for this trip, had the money between my graduation gift from last year and the money I've saved, and I'm just tired of waiting for everyone else to get there ducks in a row. So, I may be going alone.

I certainly would walk to most of the areas I was going to, particularly in a big city. I would take a bus if the sites I was going to were far, or if I was going out into the bush, a train. Otherwise I'll be on foot.

I would love to hear a Lyrebird, or better yet - see one! However I know they're more often seen than heard. So I will definitely keep the Puffing Bully train station to the Dandenongs in mind. I love wildlife, birds in particular. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good bird shots while I'm visiting. Maybe even some of those annoying Kookaburras. :p

Yeah, I think I'll only spend maybe a full 24 hours in Uluru - fly in, spend a night for sunset pics at Uluru, and fly out.

As far as amusement parks go, I won't be doing those. I live in Orlando, theme park capital of the world. :monkey4 I'm more interested in the cities, the nature, and the food. I've considered going to Hobart, I think adding a flight within Australia (and Tasmania) is only $100, so I figured why the hell not? So that's definitely a possibility. New Zealand would be a quick trip, but like I said, I'd definitely be going back there for another vacation. I need to give New Zealand the attention it deserves. :naughty

Hostels, then? Done deal. Order at the bar? Check. Honestly, I could probably go for 2+ weeks. Ideally maybe 15-18 days. Three weeks, tops. As long as I'm staying in hostels most of the time, money won't be an issue.

I won't be swimming down South, it'll be too cold when I'm there! I might spend a day at the beach in Brisbane or something. Do you know anything about Cairns and the Barrier Reef? I'd love to visit there, but I know I can't do it all in one trip.

So, as of now, I'm thinking these will be my stops:

- Sydney (fly into, 3 days)
- Uluru (1-2 days)
- Brisbane (2 days)
- Cairns? (2-3 days)
- Hobart? (2 days)
- Sydney (2 days until flight home)

What do yo think?

Too rushed. I didn't realise you had so little time. It's the distance between everything that will eat up your time, even if you had a car. I'd be inclined to pick three places and cover more in each place. Brisbane would be a must. That's where all us Aussies go for our holidays.

Just a day or two in each place would mean you are constantly on the run to pack and get to your next destination. Better to arrive and take it as it comes. It's a holiday, so you really need to relax.

Don't know anything about Cairns or the Barrier Reef other than it's expensive and if you want to stay on one of the islands they only allow, sometimes only ten people at a time at some resorts.

It might be beneficial to leave Sydney shortly after you arrive, seeing as you're going to end up there at the end of your trip anyway. Use it as a buffer if you decide to spend more time at any other destination, but seeing as you've allocated yourself 5 days there, I know for sure it's just because of the sex. You're going to be needing more flights if you get three for free, and forget about New Zealand. You'll need some weeks for that as well.

That's really all I can add at this stage. Some other Aussies need to chime in now.

I made a mistake, the amount of time I gave at each destination was a minimum. I plan on being in Australia at least 2 weeks, but probably longer. And I won't be driving to each of these places, I'm flying. So that will take considerably less time. Does that make sense? The only really short part of the trip will be Uluru, because there is no reason to stay there more than a day or so.

Here's the IDEAL situation:

Sydney: 2 days
Uluru: 1 day
Brisbane: 3+ days
Cairns: 3+ days
Hobart: 3 days
Sydney: 2 days

And even that only totals to 14 days. If I was to eliminate Hobart, I could spend more time at another destination. Really I'd like to spend 4 days at each place, besides Uluru.

Alright Aussies, fill me in! :D And creech, thanks a ton for your help.

Hey Agen. Since you want to see the wildlife and especially birds, I suggest popping into Currumbin Bird Sanctuary on the Gold Coast.
Don't forget Australia Zoo just north of Brisbane, some of the crocks they have there are just massive!
Taronga Zoo in Sydney is a good day out, I was there about a year ago. And there is also a big zoo in Dubbo N.S.W. which I havn't been to but I've heard it's great.
I would go to Melbourne instead of Hobart to, it's more interesting. I'd hate to say it but I think you should maybe spend 2 days here in Brisbane instead of 3. Even though I love the place, there really isn't that much to see here.
You should try and fit 2 days on the Gold Coast as well.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Cedric about Hobart, unless you can line up a bus, or 'Rent a Wreck', travelling about can be difficult. As I mentioned earlier the distance between interesting places can be quite large, and therefore difficult sometimes. You may want to plan an itinerary with your travel agent, because, although your plans look good on paper, much of those 'days' you hope to spend at each place, will be eaten away with locating and relying on public transport, and any one flight means half your day or more is gone. You mentioned you had three free flights included in your package. I'd be inclined to advise you to stick to that. That short part of the trip, Uluru, will mean a flight in, an overnight stay, and a flight out, Two days gone. You don't want to be spending every second or third day stuck or frustrated in airports, and scrambling to get to your next destination, see something in a rush, and trying to stick to your itinerary. Make sure you have flexibility included in your package. I meant your holiday package.

I think Creecher and Cedric have given you plenty of food for thought.I would pick 3 different locations and enjoy the time in each place without trying to fit everything in. So big city Sydney which you fly in to.It's a pretty harbour city which I live in but much like many other cities you would of seen. Ayers Rock aka Uluru I have never been but it's a icon of OZ so you should shoot the sunset and go to somewhere tropical like Cairns for the rest of the trip. Grew up there 20 yrs of my life and it is beautiful during winter with blue sky everyday and it's not humid with the wet season finished. More backpackers and hostels than you can throw a rucksack at. Also higher chances of getting wildlife shots and also the bonus of going out to the great barrier reef. Melbourne and Hobart are fine if you want to freeze or have a thirst for Oz history but if you want to have fun in the sun than Cairns would be the place to go. Watch the locals they get rowdy when drunk. You should have no problem picking up whatever you require in Cairns rather than Sydney.

kentox and cedric72, thanks for that bit. Between you and Creecher, I have pretty much decided against going to Hobart and Melbourne. I will probably fly into Sydney, then to Uluru, then Cairns, then Brisbane, and then back home. I'll keep you posted on the itinerary though. I need to speak with a Qantas representative.

Be careful - if I love Australia. you might have a new immigrant within the next couple of years. :D

kentox and cedric72, thanks for that bit. Between you and Creecher, I have pretty much decided against going to Hobart and Melbourne. I will probably fly into Sydney, then to Uluru, then Cairns, then Brisbane, and then back home. I'll keep you posted on the itinerary though. I need to speak with a Qantas representative.

Be careful - if I love Australia. you might have a new immigrant within the next couple of years. :D

Bring me back a boomerang! :D

I think you'll have a great time doing Alice Springs, Cairns and Brisbane. See you again soon. Next time you might want to come by boat. It's way cheaper, and meals and accomodation are supplied for the first two years. Christmas island sounds so inviting doesn't it? Huh? Sorry, it's an in joke.
Bring me back a boomerang! :D
He may as well just leave it here, because you know it's going to be coming back. :lol

Actually, didn't one of the American indigenous tribes have a boomerang?

With all the wildlife here to photograph it would take you a life time to capture on film so you will want to come back. Plus once you see how warm our winters are you wont want to live anywhere else:D

Good to see that you have chosen wisely on your destinations.

Hey Agen. While you are in Brisbane you can visit Lone Pine Koala Santuary which is the suburb of Fig Tree Pocket. Voted as being one of the top 10 zoos in the world.
Ten minutes up the road you can take a venture up to Mt. Cootha, you can take a bus or whatever to get up there. Once you're up there you can get an excellent view of our city and it's surrounding suburbs. The Botanical Gardens are situated at the bottom, a great place to check out our Australian flora.
There's also a planatarium there. I don't know if it's still open or not, been a while since I've been there.
I don't know how much it costs, but you can also climb The Story Bridge in the city to get a good view of the river and it's surroundings.
If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Hey mate well if u r coming to Brisbane why not come visit?
Whats the point of having all these contacts in Australia if no one offers u a place to stay :)
Drop us a line.

Wow, as an Aussie the last places I would want to visit are Sydney and Brisbane. That's just me I guess being from Melbourne.

To me Sydney is a busier dirtier Melbourne and Brisbane is just boring. Either go to the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast or Cairns (a litle more expensive)

Also if you are interested in Australian wildlife stay away from Zoo's with their lions and tigers and bears oh my, and stick with sanctuaries.

Also are you looking at beaches, outback or city living?

Back