Atlanta Ga

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thamesvalidude

Super Freak
Reaction score
OK guys. Having lived in England for nearly 40 of my 46 years, but having spent my early years and most of my vacations in SoCal, my wife is finally considering a move to Atlanta Ga. She is VERY, VERY ENGLISH and not so keen, but her company (red and white canned/ bottled soft drink..Atlanta based...you know the one) is making her a huge offer.
I am desperate to get back to the States, but my kids are very private school, very English and terribly posh (I know, my principles were destroyed long ago:eek: ) and we are NOT christians, while everyone there seem like real God botherers.
Should we do this? just so I can get more sunshine? get home much easier? pay only $3 for gas instead of $8 and get my Sideshow figures much quicker. (Plus American girls seem to love my voice etc.)
Or do we stay in the English rain????????????????

opinions please!

I know quite a few people who live in Atlanta, GA or in it's outlying areas.

1 is Hindu
1 is Agnostic
Several are Atheist
1 is Pagan

I've heard from some of them that they have come across some really preachy fundamentalist and Bapist Christians but not to a huge extent where it wanted to make them high tail it out of GA all together. Atlanta seems to be a pretty diverse city (and of course is a rather large city) with lots to do and see. Public transportation doesn't seem half bad either. The weather seems to be ok as well...it will snow some winters (but not a whole lot) and the summers can get pretty hot and humid.

Oh and you'll have one of the biggest fantasy/Sci-fi conventions right at your doorstop (Dragon Con).

I've only visted Atlanta once and didn't really like it myself (I'm a SoCal gal that likes being close to the Pacific ocean and likes nice weather almost year round, plus I'm not a big city fan) but the people I know who live there do like/love it and wouldn't leave it.

I actually know two people who work for the Coca Cola company as well right there in Atlanta (they enjoy their jobs there very much).

I'm sure a native Atlantian will come along to give more detailed accounts of Atlanta and GA itself. Just my two cents of what little I've seen and heard of Atlanta.

Good luck with this possible big change for y'alls future. :)

This is what I have heard from my Uncle who moved to Atlanta. He wants to move back to SoCal very much, but this is pretty much what he says (this is going to be phrased candidly): the road to hell starts with Atlanta. Nothing against people who live there, I haven't been there personally. Just from what I have heard, the weather, land and geography are not that great, majority of people are religious (which isn't a bad thing per say, but shoving it down your throat is), and a couple of other things that he has told me (can't remember them off the top of my head). Some pluses he told me that the cost of living is much lower than he was used to. People in america seems to love english accents (I know I do), gas is cheaper plus you would get SS a lot faster. But does that outweigh the Cons, up to you mate.

P.S. Please don't bite my head off for this, it isn't my opinion. I just thought that I should give an honest answer to someone who was new to Atlanta to someone who might possibly move there. Maybe he has a biased opinion of Atlanta, it's possibly.

P.P.S. I would recommend visiting during the summer to test the climates, it is VERY different than anywhere I've ever been.

Last edited:
I live in Atlanta, or the suburbs of Atlanta. I have traveled everywhere and have always come back to here. It's the New York of the south. In America you'll have Christians everywhere considering it makes up almost 80% of our countries religion. However you won't have people throwing it down your throat here. I've lived here all my life and have never been approached by one person trying to even discuss religion with me. Hell, I've only had one Jehovah's witness come to my door. That shouldn't even factor into the equation. The weather is fine here. Hot when it's supposed to be and cold when it's supposed to be, with the occasional wacky day here or there. In my opinion, if I had to live anywhere in the south, I wouldn't live anywhere but here. The only negative is the traffic, but living in any city that's going to be bad.

I used to live in Athens Ga ( about 45mins away ) for 13 years atl traffic sucks as you will soon find out.

I've visited Atlanta a lot and used to live in the South. It's no worse than any big American city. Not as much culture as LA, but at least it's not Alabama or Mississippi.

I live in Atlanta and have to say the traffic is awful, the weather is strange and incredibly unpredictable, but it's still a great city, and a wonderful place to live.

Darklord Dave said:
I've visited Atlanta a lot and used to live in the South. It's no worse than any big American city. Not as much culture as LA, but at least it's not Alabama or Mississippi.

Alabama, eh? hmmmmm, don't know what you mean by that Dave, I'll assume it's an insult.

One thing about Atlanta, the interstates/highways/roads were not set up for their population...plan on spending ALOT of time in the car. I'm not sure how much time you spend in traffic in the UK though. You watch too much t.v....or believe too much t.v. if you think everyone is Bible-beaters.

I wouldn't imagine that it's all that religious. You'd probably have more trouble with telemarketers than people trying to shove religion down your throat. As far as being English with the accent and everything though, that's not an issue, it's actually kind of sophisticated. Although if you place your kids in public school they might be bullied because of it, but then again, public schools in the US isn't that great anyway so you might want to look into a private school or something. I live in Texas so I couldn't say about weather though.

If traffic is your only gauge of quality of life, then SoCal is not the place to live either. Expressway is an oxymoron out here.

And I meant no offense to any Mississippians or Alabamians at all. I just don't think either state has a metropolis the equivalent of Atlanta.

here's what i think is important-- how do you feel about moving the kids out of a private school to public american schools?? (or private U.S.) seriously, i hate to shame our education system but he whole world craps on it so why try to deny it. next would be is the extra money really worth it?? and there are many small towns surrounding the atlanta area. my sister lives up there with her family and they live about 20-30 minutes outside of ATL and its a great community they live in. **one thing that ticks me off is the difference in the price of houses. here in my area my house is roughly worth 225k, up in my sisters area that much money would get me a house twice as big and with a yard 3 times bigger than what i have. which is great if you are in the market up there, but since im down here in florida it kills me seeing what i could have a little further up north.:monkey2

Thanks for the input guys. I guess the Christian evangelical bit I could live with as long as my kids don't get victimised for not being mainstream. The quality of education may be a problem...the private sector over here is very, very good. Traffic wouldn't be a shock, I find SoCal and the Thames valley pretty similar in congestion terms.
I guess it comes down to my wife and her English sensibilities...........and prising her from her mom...........:lol

I'll keep you updated.....

I live in ATL and no one throws religion down your throat! If you take offense to someone saying "I'm Christian" than that's your own fault, but it isn't some gun-totting, racist, God shoving hillbilly jamboree, nor is the surrounding are. I'm not saying anyone said it was, but for the record.

I lived in Chicago my whole life and moved here, and the weather rules compared to -0 degrees one day (or at all) to 65 above the next like Chi Town (not bashing Chicago, but if you live there you know.)

Traffic, it sucks. Worse than Chicago, but whatever, there's worse things.

I like it, I'm not saying MORE than Chicago, but about the same, just different.

Sorry about the earlier statement, I just hate when f*****s think anywhere in the South is some racist, God forcing, hillbilly jamboree. It may not be as "open minded" as some want, but it's not some ignorant hell hole. I've met more racists, ignorant jags and closed minded anti-God pushers (you know the, "You believe in a god, you're an idiot how!" types of punks who can't just keep it to themselves) in Chicago than any one in ATL.

ALSO Atlanta's surrounding area is full of Asian (Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai and Chinese very diverse) markets and restaurants, honestly as much if not MORE than I've seen in Chicago, as well as lots of Latino markets and restaurants too. Lots of different people moving into the area, and it's growing increasingly.

I SAY COME ON DOWN!\

ALSO, for American education, certain counties in the ATL area offer some of the best in the nation.

True, some of my best friends and the best students I know come from Atlanta. For some reason I've always known a lot of people from there, and all I can say is that they are good, hard-working people who are extremely friendly and good-natured. To be fair though, I tend to see the best in everything, so my opinion might be a little more sunny than most people's (what can I say--I'm a people-loving optimist!).

I say first see what's best as far as keeping your family strong and happy, and then go with that. Keeping the family strong through the process is a more important issue than sun and gas prices!

PosterBoyKelly said:
I live in ATL and no one throws religion down your throat! If you take offense to someone saying "I'm Christian" than that's your own fault, but it isn't some gun-totting, racist, God shoving hillbilly jamboree, nor is the surrounding are. I'm not saying anyone said it was, but for the record.

Thanks posterboy, the only time I was ever in Atlanta on business I was driven to my hotel by a fundamentalist moslem taxi driver who rammed radical Islam down my throat for most of the journey (not what i was expecting).:confused:
I am very diplomatic in person, so I guess we will survive and my wife has lots of work friends (who all say extensive graces before meals so we'll just have to behave ourselves:D ).

Captain Aldeggon said:
I say first see what's best as far as keeping your family strong and happy, and then go with that. Keeping the family strong through the process is a more important issue than sun and gas prices!

Thanks Captain...that's our problem. My wife is not keen on the move on a personal level but is professionally tempted, my daughter (14) started at a new school in September and is absolutely loving it, so her opinion has changed dramatically over the last few months. Me and my boy (9) would love the move..especially given the reassurances by guys like Dave, posterboy etc that we will not be shot for not saying Grace:D
In fact I can't get my boy off his Madden NFL xbox 360 game..he's already a Falcon fan. (my bro will kill him...still a Raider after all these years)
So now I guess it's down to lots of family discussion and just how comfortable those gloopy drink guys can make us....

As for gas prices my main car is a Range Rover.......at £4.50 a gallon, current exchage rate: $7.89 gas prices are important:lol

thamesvalidude said:
Thanks posterboy, the only time I was ever in Atlanta on business I was driven to my hotel by a fundamentalist moslem taxi driver who rammed radical Islam down my throat for most of the journey (not what i was expecting).:confused:
I am very diplomatic in person, so I guess we will survive and my wife has lots of work friends (who all say extensive graces before meals so we'll just have to behave ourselves:D ).

Well I never said there weren't radical Islamic cab drivers.

Just kidding that's an educational and frightening cab ride.

I moved to Atlanta five years ago and I will say for the record that I have no complaints, except for traffic and the humidity during the summer. As far as religious fundamentalists, I really haven't bumped into many. In fact, hardly at all. In the inner city, it is very culturally diverse and the subway/train system is not too bad.

Darklord Dave said:
If traffic is your only gauge of quality of life, then SoCal is not the place to live either. Expressway is an oxymoron out here.

And I meant no offense to any Mississippians or Alabamians at all. I just don't think either state has a metropolis the equivalent of Atlanta.

i know, i was kidding. :)

Back