Asmus Toys: Witch-king figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there different batches of this figure that have better bodies? I'm really tempted to get it, but hearing all the issues makes me hesitant...

I don't think there are batches, but the majority of bodies are probably fine. I know the one I got is. People can be hyper critical about bodies and think if it's not HT then it's not worth the injected molded plastic it's printed on.

That's a great point. I've only collected Hot Toys and one Enterbay (which I really disliked the body for), so I'm not too experienced with other types of figures.

I preordered Gandalf though because I couldn't resist. Now I'm looking hard at this fig because I think it would go great with Gandalf.

I'll think on it some more, but I'm more inclined to pull the trigger, thanks!

I don't think there are batches, but the majority of bodies are probably fine. I know the one I got is. People can be hyper critical about bodies and think if it's not HT then it's not worth the injected molded plastic it's printed on.

Make no mistake, the body is crap! That's why it's reinforced with electrical tape around many of the lower joints BUT there was some varying experiences with the tightness of the shoulder and elbow joints.

That being said, this is an outstanding figure and worth every penny. Is it Hot Toys quality? Well yeah, in some ways. But not so much in others. The diecast metal work on the weapons is outstanding. The paint apps on those parts and the armor are up to par and so is the cut and sew. The only thing this lacks is the body isn't the best but it's workable. The paint weathering could be a little better but it's very good for the price point and the packaging isn't HTs level but I doubt most folks really care about that as the box art is fairly well done.

If you are a LOTRs fan, it simply needs to be in your collection. Even it's weaker points are stronger than some of the offerings we got a few years ago from SSCs. So if you still like those, you'll love this!

Thanks for the insight Lee. The only trouble is I'm in Canada, so the only option is a little pricier ($210 after shipping, taxes and exchange). So it's really at Hot Toys price level at that point. Makes pulling the trigger harder...

I'll keep an eye on the figure, but I'm fairly certain when stock runs low, I'll end up giving in

Make no mistake, the body is crap! That's why it's reinforced with electrical tape around many of the lower joints BUT there was some varying experiences with the tightness of the shoulder and elbow joints.

That being said, this is an outstanding figure and worth every penny. Is it Hot Toys quality? Well yeah, in some ways. But not so much in others. The diecast metal work on the weapons is outstanding. The paint apps on those parts and the armor are up to par and so is the cut and sew. The only thing this lacks is the body isn't the best but it's workable. The paint weathering could be a little better but it's very good for the price point and the packaging isn't HTs level but I doubt most folks really care about that as the box art is fairly well done.

If you are a LOTRs fan, it simply needs to be in your collection. Even it's weaker points are stronger than some of the offerings we got a few years ago from SSCs. So if you still like those, you'll love this!

Fantastic pics Para. :clap

I love the movies but I have stayed away from collecting anything from the movies (bar the DVDs) but the Witch-King, Sauron, Balrog and Lurtz would be characters I would buy if I collected various pieces from the movies.

I'm seriously thinking about picking this guy up in the future.

Sauron in armor would be a monstrous piece. Too big for my display -- but I love the movie design.

I agree buddy.

I loved Sauron in FOTR and like you it would just be a pipe dream for me as well and that goes for Balrog too.

But I can see Lurtz getting made at some point so having the Witch-King and Lurtz would do me nicely.

I agree buddy.

I loved Sauron in FOTR and like you it would just be a pipe dream for me as well and that goes for Balrog too.

But I can see Lurtz getting made at some point so having the Witch-King and Lurtz would do me nicely.

I definitely want as many villains as Fellowship.

WK, Gothmog, Nazgul, Guritz, Mouth of Sauron... and eventually Saruman and Lurtz.

I definitely want as many villains as Fellowship.

WK, Gothmog, Nazgul, Guritz, Mouth of Sauron... and eventually Saruman and Lurtz.

Oh I forgot about Saruman. :slap I would maybe pick him up.

I really like the characters you mentioned WG but I probably would not pick up any of them or any of the 'good' guys from the movies. Witch-King and a hopefully released Lurtz would do me greatly.

Sauron and Balrog are all but a dream.

Mind you if I were to get a Saruman then I would probably get Gandalf (the Grey).

I missed out on the Premium Format Morgul Lord and am regretting that. While I've been looking for it I see this figure pop up more and more. From the pictures I've seen here it doesn't look half bad. Actually, it looks really good! The weak body does worry me, but my sixth scale Raiders Indy has a weak body and I've learned to work with it.

I am kind of on the fence- Polystone Statue Morgul Lord or Asmus Morgul Lord. I'm slowly leaning toward the latter. I can get it for about $240, free shipping. Would you guys say that's not an unreasonable price mark for this figure? It seems like a lot for a sixth scale, but based on the pictures it is a very well done piece.

Well after some thinking I finally pulled the trigger on this guy tonight. I doubt I'll ever have a Premium Format Morgul Lord in my collection so this was the next best thing. I was going to order it through Urban Samurai in Canada but they were out of stock. Luckily BBTS still had it available and with shipping I only had to shell out $3 more so no biggie.

Really looking forward to getting the Morgul Lord in my possession and futz with it. If the actual product is as good as the pictures make it look I'm sure I'll love it and it will be the first of many Asmus LOTR figures to join my collection. :)

wrH8JFy.jpg
After I water-treated mine.
He can hold his weapons very well, no problem with the joints. Its just hard to select a pose and leave him be ;P

Great pose Sankari!

Reminded me it was time to change up poses, so went similar... Man I need to water treat again, but just getting the arms to stay like this took like 20 minutes.

34231B3B-4AA8-48F3-B3C5-52AFFE96028C_zpsecdgacz9.jpg

Btw, Asmus, is a replacement body for the witch king still planned? Love that you guys are doing so many other great figures, but you did say we'd get the replacement body. I have been loving Witch king since I haven't touched him for months, but having tried to mess with him again, man, the body is almost unbearably bad. Particularly the wrist joints. Really hampers the possibilities of this amazing figure.

I have a feeling the replacement body has been tabled. It was a nice idea and would have been a great gesture but that might be their entire profit margin for the figure. Remember they said they made 2,000 of the WK and Gandalf dropped to only 1,000 and Gothmog 900 and Gurtiz 500. That's not a lot of units to shoulder the burden of 2,000 newly designed bodies. If they had originally planned doing more units of the other characters like 2,000 of Gandalf, that might have been why they originally thought they could do replacements.

Back