Asmus Toys: Nazgûl

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What?! The horse can't hold a pose without the stand?

Although I never considered it, I haven't seen a picture of the horse without the stand. Have we?

I would hope it could stand on its own in a non-motion pose. I also hope it can support the weight of the Nazgul on its back in a simple standing pose without the stand.

So my Nazgul and Steed arrived today. Nazgul's right foot is loose as the ball doesn't seem to fit in the socket well. Tried heating it up and having another go but still doesn't "click" into place so to speak and if you move it it falls out again.

I have the same issue with the lack of numbering on the certificate. I guess none of them were numbered?

Kinda disappointed by the lack of stability with the horse. I wanted to put him in a regular standing pose with the rider on top but no can do without the stand. And even with the stand I'm not sure how much I trust it :/

Now here's the kicker...mine doesn't have the exclusive sword! Just a big ol' empty sword slot in the box!!! I'll send them an email and I'm sure it will get sorted out asap. It's just annoying that I even have to do that.

Now that sounds like a lot of negativity and you would think that means I'm unhappy with the set, but honestly I love it! Once I give it the water treatment and and a bit of futzing I'll be posing this as a centre piece right on my big oak desk in the office. The rider sitting ontop of the horse just screams BADASS!

Yes there are a few things here and there that are annoying but overall I'm happy I purchased this set.

I will keep supporting Asmus with every single LOTR figure they release. I just hope they continue to improve with each one and really get ontop of the QC so they don't have to rectify to many issues after release.

Although I never considered it, I haven't seen a picture of the horse without the stand. Have we?

I would hope it could stand on its own in a non-motion pose. I also hope it can support the weight of the Nazgul on its back in a simple standing pose without the stand.

That's all I wanted or expected, a regular 4-on-the-floor neutral pose like CanadianBrandon has described. I'm going to unbox mine tonight and see what happens.

Guys, after talking to Asmus, they said they were going to send me the broken parts, so after talking to an Asmus person on facebook, we decided it would be cheaper to just send me the parts instead of replacing the whole thing. I didn't want to replace the whole thing as well, because its the first collectible that I've gotten as a gift from my girlfriend, it means a lot to me, and I had promised her I wouldn't sell or or give it away. So I decided to go ahead and customize mine to my liking...

10917744_10155199318145157_357082226_n.jpg10934183_10155199341235157_1045199825_n.jpg10934448_10155199353685157_557165935_n.jpg10943225_10155199379795157_1997215228_n.jpg

About the broken foot , I'm using the right foot from the Witch King , While I wait for another one, and I glued the horse's leg myself with epoxy glue

I gave him a new shroud, repainted the saddle , repainted the armor, gave him more metal glints and rust, gave the horse some gashes and blood on one side ( because I wanted the option to show him clean, so I just have to switch him to the other side, and he's clean.) Tried to make the Nazgul more to my liking according to the movie scenes...

you would think that means I'm unhappy with the set, but honestly I love it!

That's just crazy talk. With all those problems? And can the horse really not stand on its own?

Seriously though, glad you like it. I have no idea what I'll think of mine... but I'm still keeping my order.... so far.

I'm going to unbox mine tonight and see what happens.

Very curious what you'll have to say.

There ya go -- that looks great! Love the extra gashes on the legs. I think that's what I saw in my mind's eye.

I made it just so that you can see it from that angle, from the other side he's clean. So you have more display choices ;) Gave him a special effects treatment, applied silicone and painted over it, like what they do for movies.

About the broken foot , I'm using the right foot from the Witch King , While I wait for another one, and I glued the horse's leg myself with epoxy glue

I gave him a new shroud, repainted the saddle , repainted the armor, gave him more metal glints and rust, gave the horse some gashes and blood on one side ( because I wanted the option to show him clean, so I just have to switch him to the other side, and he's clean.) Tried to make the Nazgul more to my liking according to the movie scenes...

Well done for making good of a disappointing situation - and you just whipped that all together? Very nice work :clap

That's just crazy talk. With all those problems? And can the horse really not stand on its own?

Seriously though, glad you like it. I have no idea what I'll think of mine... but I'm still keeping my order.... so far.

I've just unboxed mine, and here's the problem with the horse's stance - the front legs are pretty close together, as are the rear legs. So stability is an issue, from a design point of view, from the outset - it's top heavy, like an inverted pyramid. Another issue that I have with my example is that, like Sankari's, the rear legs aren't symmetrical in how they've been assembled. So one leg is 'shorter' than the other. Compared with a Dragon horse I have, which can place all four hooves evenly on a flat surface, the Asmus horse I have can place three hooves on the floor and the fourth can only touch the ground with both rear legs posed far apart, and with the ankle of the front-placed rear leg angled down - ie, - the tippy toe of the front-placed rear hoof can touch the ground while the rear-placed rear hoof is flat but posed well back.

It can stand up in a neutral pose, and would support the rider, without the stand. But if the display surface takes a bump it'd more likely than not take a dive.

I didn't know there was an exclusive - if simply getting the figures as a set means 'exclusive', then I have an empty spot in the tray too.

I haven't taken a close look at the clothing, lighted eyes etc, I was more concerned about checking out whether the horse can stand on its own in the limited time I have today. I'm not sure how I feel overall, I'll have to live with it for a while. Honestly, my initial impression is, "I got pretty much what I paid for".

If I could change one thing about the Nazgul: remove the seam.

If I could change one thing about the steed: better tolerancing on the leg assembly so all hooves can touch the ground flatly and evenly.

The initial positives about the Nazgul are: some water treatment and futzing will really lift the stock figure. Anyone handy with weathering to rag up and dirty up the fabric will make this a good looking figure.

The initial positives about the Steed are: despite the lack of battle-damage, the flocking does work really well in concealing the joints, and the textured surface provides a decent degree of realism. Compared with the all-plastic Dragon I have, it is way more convincing. The clothing I haven't had a close look at, but as with the Nazgul, some weathering would really lift it. The sheen that comes off the hair and flocking in some pics is not anywhere near as apparent in hand under regular lighting.

Asmus is obviously prepared to help out with any QC issues, but my example out of the box I think is as perfect as it's going to get. The issues with both figures are, I think, design related (ie Nazgul ankle joint and steed's uneven rear legs).

On balance, this is really the only chance we'll ever have of picking up a 1/6 articulated steed with rider. If your standards are 'high end' all the way, you should probably pass. But if your love for the character will let you overlook some irritating but in my opinion liveable shortcomings, I'd recommend it.

I've just unboxed mine, and here's the problem with the horse's stance - the front legs are pretty close together, as are the rear legs. So stability is an issue, from a design point of view, from the outset - it's top heavy, like an inverted pyramid. Another issue that I have with my example is that, like Sankari's, the rear legs aren't symmetrical in how they've been assembled. So one leg is 'shorter' than the other. Compared with a Dragon horse I have, which can place all four hooves evenly on a flat surface, the Asmus horse I have can place three hooves on the floor and the fourth can only touch the ground with both rear legs posed far apart, and with the ankle of the front-placed rear leg angled down - ie, - the tippy toe of the front-placed rear hoof can touch the ground while the rear-placed rear hoof is flat but posed well back.

It can stand up in a neutral pose, and would support the rider, without the stand. But if the display surface takes a bump it'd more likely than not take a dive.

I didn't know there was an exclusive - if simply getting the figures as a set means 'exclusive', then I have an empty spot in the tray too.

I haven't taken a close look at the clothing, lighted eyes etc, I was more concerned about checking out whether the horse can stand on its own in the limited time I have today. I'm not sure how I feel overall, I'll have to live with it for a while. Honestly, my initial impression is, "I got pretty much what I paid for".

If I could change one thing about the Nazgul: remove the seam.

If I could change one thing about the steed: better tolerancing on the leg assembly so all hooves can touch the ground flatly and evenly.

The initial positives about the Nazgul are: some water treatment and futzing will really lift the stock figure. Anyone handy with weathering to rag up and dirty up the fabric will make this a good looking figure.

The initial positives about the Steed are: despite the lack of battle-damage, the flocking does work really well in concealing the joints, and the textured surface provides a decent degree of realism. Compared with the all-plastic Dragon I have, it is way more convincing. The clothing I haven't had a close look at, but as with the Nazgul, some weathering would really lift it. The sheen that comes off the hair and flocking in some pics is not anywhere near as apparent in hand under regular lighting.

Asmus is obviously prepared to help out with any QC issues, but my example out of the box I think is as perfect as it's going to get. The issues with both figures are, I think, design related (ie Nazgul ankle joint and steed's uneven rear legs).

On balance, this is really the only chance we'll ever have of picking up a 1/6 articulated steed with rider. If your standards are 'high end' all the way, you should probably pass. But if your love for the character will let you overlook some irritating but in my opinion liveable shortcomings, I'd recommend it.

Honest and important review.

I think your clarity has convinced me once and for all to keep my order and see what I get. Sounds like there's work to be done -- which I enjoy when I have the time -- but overall your point about this set not likely being repeated is well put. I'll have to look at this as a project rather than just another figure. Pretty much all Asmus figures so far have been projects, but it has been a lot of fun to futz them and bring out their full potential.

I wonder what is up with this missing Morgul sword? It's definitely suppose to be in the set. Sounds like Asmus better start sending extra swords out to their retailer (like BBTS *cough, cough*).

The seam has always been a problem for me since day one and its the one detractor that I can't fix. Perhaps I can shift the whole hood to one side and hide the seam on the shoulder.

I'm wondering if you heat up the horse will the legs reset to their natural position -- meaning perhaps they just got warped in the box.

Thanks, Lejuan.

Honest and important review.

I think your clarity has convinced me once and for all to keep my order and see what I get. Sounds like there's work to be done -- which I enjoy when I have the time -- but overall your point about this set not likely being repeated is well put. I'll have to look at this as a project rather than just another figure. Pretty much all Asmus figures so far have been projects, but it has been a lot of fun to futz them and bring out their full potential.

I wonder what is up with this missing Morgul sword? It's definitely suppose to be in the set. Sounds like Asmus better start sending extra swords out to their retailer (like BBTS *cough, cough*).

The seam has always been a problem for me since day one and its the one detractor that I can't fix. Perhaps I can shift the whole hood to one side and hide the seam on the shoulder.

I'm wondering if you heat up the horse will the legs reset to their natural position -- meaning perhaps they just got warped in the box.

Thanks, Lejuan.

No probs Wor-Gar - if I'm a little disappointed I'm definitely not regretting the purchase. As you say, if you're prepared to put a little effort in you'll be rewarded. But I am really time poor! The legs are set pretty tight. When I get to play with it properly I'll see if it might benefit from some heat - but it seems like it could be a tolerancing issue in the tooling as well as in assembly. If I ever get the time I'll attend to the hood, maybe make a new one or pick up a loose ACI one.

The case of the missing sword... I wonder what happened there?

I found that the hood is a very easy fix

You made up a new one? Are you three people? How are you doing all of this so quickly? :thud:

Lejuan - thanks for the great review! Think I'm still going for the full set instead of just the steed.

Sankari - nice work man! And congrats on having a great girlfriend. How did you do that custom hood? I'm sure a lot of us would like to do the same upgrade, it looks great!

Thanks guys. Did everything myself. The fabric has no stitching, just little bits of glue, paint etc. You can use an old black shirt and just cut it in the desired shape
738202c94e701acb3d548aa4813c880d.jpg

My steed also have the same problem like Wor-Gar but I can pose it to look like it walk and it still stand until now. So, it hide the point that leg is not even. I still not test the light function yet.

The issue for me is the Nazgul. Both left and right feet peg keep loose no matter how many time I put them back. I still have problem to put my Nazgul on the steed.

Overall I like my steed and see how much effort Asmus put to it. I would like Asmus to keep more focus to quality control during and after production before release product. I looking to buy another horse for my Sideshow Aragon and hope my next horse is perfect , can stand even in all legs and no other issue. For Nazgul, the body will need to upgrade and again better quality control need.

I would like ask all of us about the certificate Asmus give for Nazgul, my do not have running number. Is it the same to all of us or not?

Any comparison review between ACI and Asmus version come out yet?

I know, I know, it's madness! Haha I honestly think once you have a play around with it and futz it you will be happy. If you are a "take it out of the box and leave it" kind of guy then you might not be happy, but if you don't mind a slight bit of work to improve it then it will become a very cool piece in your collection. Just the sheer size of it!

I didn't have much time today to play around with it, but it didn't feel too stable. As others have stated it seems to be a design issue where all four legs don't touch the ground evenly. You can make it stand but if anyone bumps the shelf "TIMBER!".

I've got mine set up standing on three legs with the Nazgul turned to the side looking over his shoulder. Very intimidating for little hobbits! Looks good enough to outshine it's flaws. I'm a Lord of the Rings fanatic and I'm aware in the 1/6 world LoTR is rare so I'm willing to take it when we get it! The light up eyes are an amazing touch. My non collecting friends geeked out when I turned the eyes on!

Back