ASMUS toys: Mouth of Sauron

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Aragorn looks awesome!

Wow! Looks fantastic Keegan.

How did I miss this?! That's gorgeous! Fabulous pic/display, Keegan!

Whoa, missed these comments somehow. Thanks so much guys!

9080e6d24a34839d7b4283a02197f43b.jpg

With real chain mail

Man this looks so awesome! Real mail really is a game-changer for this thing and I love how you cut it up and have it layered a bit.

Whoa, missed these comments somehow. Thanks so much guys!

Man this looks so awesome! Real mail really is a game-changer for this thing and I love how you cut it up and have it layered a bit.

Thanks!
That wasn't a plan at first, but as I was doing it it seemed better this way, more rich and realistic somehow. I tried to mimic the cuts from the stock cloth chainmail but when you cut a real chain mesh in a straight line it falls apart in a wider strip due to how all the links are interconnected - there is no way to cut just one line of them. So then I added another strip in between to kind of fill in the gaps and it came out even better then I hoped!
Again, thank you for this great idea of using antique purses for chainmail, they are now on my eBay following searches, I grabbed one more recently at a great price. If you are on the lookout, you can periodically find them under 20$ a piece. I figure sooner or later I will need them for other Asmus LOTR figures. Thinking of maybe making a chest piece for Eowyn to replace the stock one. But that seems challenging since it implies tailoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Mouth of Sauron. :clap

Timewalker's 15% discount convinced me that it was time to get him before he disappears and I regret not getting him.

Can't wait for him to arrive!

Yep, I'm in the same boat. I had my Nazgul and steed up on top of a detolf but it recently fell. :horror

Now he's safely inside... but I don't really have room for TWO steeds. I had always planned for them to be on top of the detolfs, but even with that earthquake putty the horse eventually toppled. Now I'm paranoid. I think my Nazgul lasted a couple years up there but finally just keeled over.

I have a need for a new file drawer and am thinking about making that the new display for Nazgul and steed and Mouth and steed.

I hope Asmus revisits the horses at some point and maybe do away with the articulation. Think of them as cool bases/accessories.

That said, the steed with MOS is an improvement on the previous offerings (especially the Nazgul steed). It's nice and solid.

Hi guys.
Can you explain a little bit more about what you have used as 1/6 chain mail. What are those "antique purses"? How have you modded them?
Regards,
m.

Thanks!
That wasn't a plan at first, but as I was doing it it seemed better this way, more rich and realistic somehow. I tried to mimic the cuts from the stock cloth chainmail but when you cut a real chain mesh in a straight line it falls apart in a wider strip due to how all the links are interconnected - there is no way to cut just one line of them. So then I added another strip in between to kind of fill in the gaps and it came out even better then I hoped!
Again, thank you for this great idea of using antique purses for chainmail, they are now on my eBay following searches, I grabbed one more recently at a great price. If you are on the lookout, you can periodically find them under 20$ a piece. I figure sooner or later I will need them for other Asmus LOTR figures. Thinking of maybe making a chest piece for Eowyn to replace the stock one. But that seems challenging since it implies tailoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come to think of it, this might interest some of you: I sell the rider from the Mouth of Sauron set. Only the rider, MISB, way cheaper than the whole set.
Item located in Spain, Europe, zip46800.
Anyone interested, just PM me.
Regards,
m.

My MoS arrived about a week or so ago. Haven't had a chance to even open it up until tonight. Great looking set. Looking forward to setting it up soon but need yet another Detolf or two, as I've got a number of boxed figures waiting to be released from their boxes.

I have the antique purse ready to supply the needed chainmail upgrade.

I too have no where to display him at the moment. I have to figure something out.

Yup, great figure.

Back