Asmus Toys: Merry and Pippin Lord of the Rings 1/6 Scale Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS, any thoughts on alternate sculpts and expansion packs for Sam and Frodo as well?

This would be fantastic. Sculpts, Sam's cloak, maybe a metal Sting?

Another expansion pack idea: Strider ... upgraded hair sculpt (honestly, the face is great, it's that hair sculpt that throws everything off), red shirt, Helm's Deep chainmail?

This would be fantastic. Sculpts, Sam's cloak, maybe a metal Sting?

Another expansion pack idea: Strider ... upgraded hair sculpt (honestly, the face is great, it's that hair sculpt that throws everything off), red shirt, Helm's Deep chainmail?

Aragorn headsculpt with rooted hair and a metal sting would also be instant buys from me! Sam's cloak too, since it seems the other 3 Hobbits will now have their original cloaks...

Odd expression choice. However this is a very welcome expansion pack! Can't wait for the cloaks. Thank you for being active in the forums again. Every time I convince myself to leave this line you pull me back in.
I think it's just the shadows and greyscale that throw off the likeness. Dominic does have a quirky face so it's difficult for me to pinpoint what's not quite right.

Here's hoping for a Frodo + Sam pack soon with better head sculpts!

I had some free time so I added both pictures to photoshop and turned the transparency of each one up and down to compare. The render us surprisingly close to the screenshot. The only differences I can see are the lower lip as mentioned before is a little too full, the right eye (left as we look at it) is a little lower than the real one (and the tear duct droops down too much compared to the real one) and the little mole/lump by his left nostril is not in the right place.
EDIT: Also the neck is too wide (look at his right/our left as we look at the picture).

Though if that is all I can pick out, I will personally be very happy with this head sculpt as they are all pretty minor things that will be barely noticeable at 1/6 size and when not comparing to a screenshot.

Just to clarify these are things I would never normally say (that mole/lump? ha!) but since you asked, I purposely looked for any differences!

Thanks again for doing this Asmus :)

1.jpg

​I'd much rather have a sculpt of Merry that isn't smirking. Hopefully no red cheeks! Thanks for doing this.

Not sure the expression will translate well to a figure. The sculpt is definitely getting there and is close. The expression is just, perhaps too extreme. I would keep the happiness of the sculpt, but level it into a smile.

Super happy to hear you guys are moving forward with the expansion packs though!

In regards to the new Merry sculpt, I agree that the eyes are too squinty. I love the smirk! It captures Merry's personality MUCH better than the angry look of the original sculpt.

If you re-release the set with these new sculpts, I will definitely be ordering them.

If you do the same for Frodo and Sam, I will also be ordering them as well.

The original sculpts are what kept me from ordering the four hobbit figures in the first place.

Well done, Asmus!!

We might still release a full set for each characters,
but will also offer expansion packs so customers who already own the previous version, don't need to buy another full set.

Hopefully, both options come to fruition. I missed out on Merry and Pippin, but if re-released will be a day one pre-order for sure.

This is really cool, I really hope Asmus follows through with the expansion pack idea. If it's too hard to get the asymmetrical smirking expression right, I'd say go with something a bit more neutral but still jovial for Merry. The likeness is way more important than the expression for most people, I think. Maybe something like this?

merry.jpg

We will offer as an expension pack,

-Merry + grey cap
- Pippin + purple cap

I fall down in worship of you, Asmus.

May we have any idea of what the expression for Pippin will be? Please? =D

Back