Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5ad84ffbc018c5a3d7f9d7ab76a66997.jpg

Hairsculpts, from what i've seen so far, is not Asmus' strongest forte. I hope they go with 'real' hair with Gandalf like they did with Saruman. Plus the head articulation will not suffer.

Have to respectfully disagree. Rooted hair = doll-looking and not near as good a product as sculpted hair. Too bad it's unreasonable to dream we could get one of each so we're all happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't have that perfect hairline that the proto sculpt offers with rooted hair. Compare the rooted pics to the original sculpt. The sculpted looks like Gandalf. Sculpted is the best and at least in my opinion, the only choice here. Saruman I agree, rooted hair worked perfect. Here, I'm with GhostBeard.

Gandalf the Grey pretty much wears his hat most of the time, thats the classic look, imagine how reslistic rooted will look. Sculpted will be very top heavy and offer no movement.

Well take a look at Gandalf the White and Aragorn. Both hairsculpts are lacking. Bard's hair is lacking detail and flow imho. They are still fixing Gandalfs sculpt and we are still waiting.

You can't have that perfect hairline that the proto sculpt offers with rooted hair. Compare the rooted pics to the original sculpt. The sculpted looks like Gandalf. Sculpted is the best and at least in my opinion, the only choice here. Saruman I agree, rooted hair worked perfect. Here, I'm with GhostBeard.

PHICEN LIMITED HIDES THE HAIR LINES EXTREMELY WELL WITH THERE FIGURES . It can be done .

PHICEN LIMITED HIDES THE HAIR LINES EXTREMELY WELL WITH THERE FIGURES . It can be done .
I don't think you see what we're trying to convey; Gandalf doesn't have a straight hairline, he has a very distinctive, wide, widow's peak-like pattern that comes down. You can't replicate that with rooted hair.

And as far as Phicen goes, all their figures look fake. They look artificial and the hair makes them barbie-doll like. Look at every hair line, it's the same trick everyone uses. Forehead comes up a bit, hair is rooted behind it. Nothing new. And they have a long standing track record doing rooted hair.

Gandalf ≠ Creepy sex doll-like figure, and never should.

Look at the first picture with the sculpt. Now look at the photo of him with rooted hair. I really don't think there is a competition, sculpted looks much better.

If they can pull off the hairline and make Gandalf the Grey look like Gandalf the Grey I'm fine with rooted. If they cant get it right and it looks too doll like sculpted is definitely the way to go. This is an extremely popular character for them to skimp on the detail so I hope Asmus uses good judgment here and goes with what looks the best for the figure. My worst fear is that they will try to appeal to both sides and make it mixed like Tauriel.

Agreed. Hoping to hear something on this soon....maybe spring?

I'm hoping maybe something for ToyFair in February and a couple of teasers beforehand. I try to limit myself to 2ish figures per film/license in my 1/6th collection, with my only broken exception having been Marvel as a whole. Gandalf has long taken priority and precedence as one of those two spots for LotR. I may break that two figure rule though between LotR and the Hobbit, because as much as I found the films 'okay' at best, I would take a Thorin based on design and a Bilbo based on performance.

I suggested in the Saruman thread that maybe we could coax Asmus into offering both heads (sculpted and rooted) for characters with long hair/beards. Maybe they could include one with the figure (to keep costs down) and sell the other as a separate optional accessory. That way they could satisfy both camps of fans.

Asmus? Any chances of that?

Maybe it comes with sculpted hair Gandalf and you have to send in box tops for rooted, Barbie hair Gandalf.

Until we get word on Gandalf the Grey....all other announcements are meaningless. Meaningless I say!

Back