Action Figure Asmus Toys: Devil May Cry 3: Vergil 1:6 Scale Collectible figure (2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but it'd be useful for folks here who can't decide who to order from.

Needed some time to gather my thoughts on this...

I am super pumped about this figure. Vergil is without a doubt one of the best antagonists in video games. I'm loving every bit of this figure, especially the headsculpt. I was worried on how they were going to approach it. There are so many references they could draw from, but each reference don't quite gel with one another. You've got art work from daigo ikeno, the in-game real time model from DMC3, CGI promotional model from DMC3, and in-game real time model from DMC4. The problem being? Each model looks different from one another. So the way I see it is, the sculptor took the best aspects from each model and did his / her best to capture Vergil and I think it's a great success.

I do see the complaints about the hair, and hopefully they take another stab at it...but overall, this looks amazing, and I can't wait...

Which leads me to my final point...

Looking back at DMC4 dante...it's bittersweet that while I finally have a sixth scale representation of my favorite character, it's clear he didn't get the same amount of attention like Vergil did when it comes down to the headsculpt. And I sincerely hope asmus is listening to feedback about dantes portrait and hopefully will offer an upgrade pack for him. Perhaps an accessories pack along with a new headsculpt.

I hope you're reading this asmus! Devil arms accessories pack, along with a new headsculpt please?!

Anyway, I'm hyped for this, and thank asmus for making figures from one of the best video game franchises ever!

Needed some time to gather my thoughts on this...

I am super pumped about this figure. Vergil is without a doubt one of the best antagonists in video games. I'm loving every bit of this figure, especially the headsculpt. I was worried on how they were going to approach it. There are so many references they could draw from, but each reference don't quite gel with one another. You've got art work from daigo ikeno, the in-game real time model from DMC3, CGI promotional model from DMC3, and in-game real time model from DMC4. The problem being? Each model looks different from one another. So the way I see it is, the sculptor took the best aspects from each model and did his / her best to capture Vergil and I think it's a great success.

I do see the complaints about the hair, and hopefully they take another stab at it...but overall, this looks amazing, and I can't wait...

Which leads me to my final point...

Looking back at DMC4 dante...it's bittersweet that while I finally have a sixth scale representation of my favorite character, it's clear he didn't get the same amount of attention like Vergil did when it comes down to the headsculpt. And I sincerely hope asmus is listening to feedback about dantes portrait and hopefully will offer an upgrade pack for him. Perhaps an accessories pack along with a new headsculpt.

I hope you're reading this asmus! Devil arms accessories pack, along with a new headsculpt please?!

Anyway, I'm hyped for this, and thank asmus for making figures from one of the best video game franchises ever!

this...that's really the only thing that ever pops up in my head when looking at the dante figure

Can you explain why it took 3 more months for BBTS to get Dante?
If that's gonna happen again with Vergil, I'm ordering from you

Dude just order it from asmus. That's how I, along with bio and a few others here got it so early...or on time. Or whatever haha, just order it straight from them.

this...that's really the only thing that ever pops up in my head when looking at the dante figure

Yup...at times I find myself negotiating with...myself haha. On some level I'm trying to convince myself that it's good enough.

But then Vergil and his high quality portrait drops in and it makes dante's flaws all the more glaring.

Dude just order it from asmus. That's how I, along with bio and a few others here got it so early...or on time. Or whatever haha, just order it straight from them.

Yup...at times I find myself negotiating with...myself haha. On some level I'm trying to convince myself that it's good enough.

But then Vergil and his high quality portrait drops in and it makes dante's flaws all the more glaring.

yes!
I mean, I know it's dante. but I show it to friends that know the game as well and they ask, "is that supposed to be dante or Jamie Lannister?"

It used to be the other way around. When I pre-order something from Asmus, They sent me leftover after they are done shipping to retailers.
That's why I'm asking.

Can you explain why it took 3 more months for BBTS to get Dante?
If that's gonna happen again with Vergil, I'm ordering from you

The probably made a certain amount to fill their direct orders which was probably a pretty small/manageable number...then golden week hit which shut them down as well as the factories... account for another month to produce more...then another month to ship and have them arrive here in the states. Plus I think there was a dock strike in china within the last few months...I can't quite remember. They also could have production runs divided. Even Hot Toys does that...they're just quicker at it because they're a huge company...Asmus is not. I don't even think Sideshow has received their allotment...:dunno.

This is all conjecture, but it's something to think about. There's a lot of variables.

I agree. Order direct. It's free shipping, and a $20 deposit so it feels cheaper when the figure actually ships :lol

as for the Vergil sculpt...see... the biggest issue people had with DMC4 Dante was the sculpt...that was the big one. Asmus obviously noticed that and decided to pump some budget into the sculpt of Vergil...It definitely shows they're listening. The crux there is that it brings my expectations for DMC3 Dante a bit too high :lol

yes!
I mean, I know it's dante. but I show it to friends that know the game as well and they ask, "is that supposed to be dante or Jamie Lannister?"

Jamie Lannister huh? Damn...some members here felt it looked a bit like boromir...which leads to-

as for the Vergil sculpt...see... the biggest issue people had with DMC4 Dante was the sculpt...that was the big one. Asmus obviously noticed that and decided to pump some budget into the sculpt of Vergil...It definitely shows they're listening. The crux there is that it brings my expectations for DMC3 Dante a bit too high :lol

---this is all pure speculation on my part: Its not so much that they pumped more budget into Vergils sculpt but more that Dantes sculpt appears to be a modified boromir sculpt. The overall head structure is similar, and let's not forget the shape of his nose...compare boromirs nose to dantes...

So I find it strange that whilst Vergil doesn't quite have a definitive face (when you consider all of the reference material looking different from one another) and yet...his sculpt appears to be more faithful to the source material...or at least the essence is captured perfectly. Then you have dante from DMC4. Unlike Vergil, when you google dmc4 dante, you'll immediately notice that every official promotional piece of art or wallpaper features the very same dante that we see in the game, be it cutscene or gameplay. there's no higher polygon cgi model that clashes with the lower polygon in game model like DMC3 Vergil. There's just one definitive DMC4 dante.

So I find it strange that asmus' sculptor couldn't capture dantes face when all of the reference material features one definitive look. The source material is uniform and doesn't clash with one another, and in a situation like that, the sculptor wouldn't have to take liberties and can just make the sculpt as accurate as possible. Hell, look at the teaser pic of Vergil...look at how many different versions of him are out there!

Sigh, I've ranted too much about this. Like I said in my video review, dante is my fav game character. As much as I love vergil, putting him next to dante is just gonna make me feel sad....ill be thinking "why doesn't the protagonist look as good as the antagonist??"

:(

They were trying to go for a non-anime type of look. Which they achieved. Sadly, I think they could’ve found some middle ground.

In any case, I love my Dante. He’s friggin’ awesome. If I had a desire to pick this up, that aspect might bother me though. I’m sure Asmus will take all of this into consideration. I could see them providing a standalone sculpt to upgrade the figure eventually. Possibly with an even better hair mold as well.

Jamie Lannister huh? Damn...some members here felt it looked a bit like boromir...which leads to-

---this is all pure speculation on my part: Its not so much that they pumped more budget into Vergils sculpt but more that Dantes sculpt appears to be a modified boromir sculpt. The overall head structure is similar, and let's not forget the shape of his nose...compare boromirs nose to dantes...

So I find it strange that whilst Vergil doesn't quite have a definitive face (when you consider all of the reference material looking different from one another) and yet...his sculpt appears to be more faithful to the source material...or at least the essence is captured perfectly. Then you have dante from DMC4. Unlike Vergil, when you google dmc4 dante, you'll immediately notice that every official promotional piece of art or wallpaper features the very same dante that we see in the game, be it cutscene or gameplay. there's no higher polygon cgi model that clashes with the lower polygon in game model like DMC3 Vergil. There's just one definitive DMC4 dante.

So I find it strange that asmus' sculptor couldn't capture dantes face when all of the reference material features one definitive look. The source material is uniform and doesn't clash with one another, and in a situation like that, the sculptor wouldn't have to take liberties and can just make the sculpt as accurate as possible. Hell, look at the teaser pic of Vergil...look at how many different versions of him are out there!

Sigh, I've ranted too much about this. Like I said in my video review, dante is my fav game character. As much as I love vergil, putting him next to dante is just gonna make me feel sad....ill be thinking "why doesn't the protagonist look as good as the antagonist??"

now that you say it...it does look like boromir

Well,

It is important to us that you are happy with what you buy, at least, we will be as close to our prototype or better. (even if it is Boromir or Jamie Lannister XD)

What we try to do is the best Vergil figure you will find in the market, possibly ever. It is the same promise we gave to Dante IV, and I hope we have lived up to that promise so far.

I'm really ok with the Dante sculpt. While not perfect I do think it represents the character well enough. Definitely the best Dante on the market right now in my opinion. I'm still going to get Vergil, but man I can't get over the hair. But that may just be on me. I've never liked his artwork hair. Just looks unnatural.

Still, I'm glad they improved this Dante over their first attempt. 01.jpg

I remember the Boromir debacle I think we talked about it in Dantes thread...I even posted a side by side, I'll see if I can find it.:lol

Its definitely similar but I would never say Dante looks like Boromir if the Boromir sculpt didn't exist and since I don't own the Boromir, I don't think about it :lol

There's always the possibility that the same sculptor who sculpted Boromir, sculpted Dante and the similarities just sort of happened subconsciously. In addition to that, Vergil maybe has a different sculptor.

You're not going to get DMC3 Dante? I think DMC3 Dante will definitely be able to stand along side Vergil 'cause I doubt they'd use the same DMC4 sculpt.

and I dunno...I love my Dante odd sculpt and all. He's fun to photograph :)

Spoiler Spoiler:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjsCWv2FwSt/?taken-by=biojexphoto

Dante is such a nice figure. One of my favorites now. I find myself frequently glancing at it as I go about my day. I know some have their qualms, but I’m glad to have him!

Well,

It is important to us that you are happy with what you buy, at least, we will be as close to our prototype or better. (even if it is Boromir or Jamie Lannister XD)

What we try to do is the best Vergil figure you will find in the market, possibly ever. It is the same promise we gave to Dante IV, and I hope we have lived up to that promise so far.

I sincerely hope you're aware that our criticisms for dante 4 doesn't mean we hate him, at least that I'm aware of. So far reviews I've seen have been generally positive, so team asmus definitely did something right...but in spite of the glowing reviews, his portrait receives the most criticism.

I've already shared my less than enthusiastic opinion towards dantes sculpt a few times...but I still very much enjoy posing him and am happy to have him in my collection. However I think it could be better, and I will continue to hold onto the hope that there will be an upgrade in the not too distant future. (Please consider an accessories pack :) )

As for vergil, he's already looking to be the best vergil figure ever, so team asmus doesn't have much to worry about that. His hair just needs a bit of tweaking :)

You're not going to get DMC3 Dante? I think DMC3 Dante will definitely be able to stand along side Vergil 'cause I doubt they'd use the same DMC4 sculpt.

Oh I'm getting dante 3...oh hell yeah im getting dante 3. He will definitely be a better companion piece to vergil...but I just want to pose dante 4 with vergil...dante 4 is my favorite iteration of the character.

and I dunno...I love my Dante odd sculpt and all. He's fun to photograph :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjsCWv2FwSt/?taken-by=biojexphoto

Dude...THAT IS SICK!

Dante is such a nice figure. One of my favorites now. I find myself frequently glancing at it as I go about my day. I know some have their qualms, but I’m glad to have him!

Hehe same here man! One of my fav figures, warts and all!

Back