Asmus Toys: Arwen

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great video, Fremen. Arwen really does look very good there, compared to some of the pics. As Wor-Gar mentioned, some phone cameras provide a fish-eyed photo which warps the sculpt.

Still waiting for my invoice, Asmus... :impatient:

Thanks for watching. I'm surprised you haven't got your invoice yet. I ordered when she was in stock and it shipped out within 5 days.

I'm really looking so forward to more figures. I have Thorin coming today and am hoping for a Kili and Fili. Faramir, Elrond, Galadriel etc.
These are great figures.

Thank you Fremen,
We are so happy and proud that you guys love it.
we will keep LOTR line going strong (and better) and full for you guys, thats a promise

Thats what I like to hear! Thank you for your participation in this community!

I think my Arwen should be due in today, I look forward to seeing the figure in hand.

Fremen, how is the mixed media with the hair? Do you find in hand that the plastic scalp blends fairly well with the 'real' hair?

Would adding a wee bit of gloss to the "duller" plastic scalp part to make it slightly more shiny to blend any better?

I think it blends really, really well. I was actually surprised at how well it is.
I don't think you need to add any gloss. I have clear gloss that I add to some of my statues sometimes but I feel no need to add it to this figure.
It really is up to you though when you see her in person.

Well that's good news. Thank you.

If I pick her up, I think the only thing I will do then is to add a little violet color to that sheer inner robe... if I can figure out a way to dunk the parts that show into some dye without having to strip her down.

If you have some of these figures, I think you should get her. A great addition to the line.

I don't think there's even a slight chance of that happening. Neither Tauriel nor Bard sold very well, and preorders on Thranduil were low enough that the edition size was a mere 600. Even if they fixed the head issue with Tauriel, I can't see there being enough interest in her to justify the effort.
I’d pre-order her in a heartbeat. The reason she didn’t sell very well the first time around was because she was pretty awful. Bard wasn’t terribly great either.

I'm surprised you haven't got your invoice yet. I ordered when she was in stock and it shipped out within 5 days.

I'm still waiting for mine, as well.
This is the one aspect of Asmus' direct order process that's frustrating. I (and others I'm sure) preordered Arwen on Day 1, and I'm still waiting on my balance remaining invoice. Others (like you) ordered once she was "In Stock", and already have her. Very unfair to fulfill new orders before invoicing and shipping preorders.

This is the one aspect of Asmus' direct order process that's frustrating. I (and others I'm sure) preordered Arwen on Day 1, and I'm still waiting on my balance remaining invoice. Others (like you) ordered once she was "In Stock", and already have her. Very unfair to fulfill new orders before invoicing and shipping preorders.
Paid last week
And got a message from asmus 2 days ago that it'll be shipped this week
Am still waiting

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Quick look at her.

Appreciate the video. She's beautiful. Finally I can look forward to Galadriel as Asmus has broken the female curse!

Love the pic and color they decided to go with on the box as well.

Yep, I pre-ordered day-1 as well and no invoice yet. I did contact Asmus via their website but haven't heard back.

I will say that this is the first time that I haven't received the invoice almost immediately after the announcement that they are shipping out. Eomer was super-quick.

I picked mine up from the Post office last night. I think overall she came out really nice. Here head sculpt looks good, while not a dead-ringer for Liv, she is recognizable and certain angles are better than others. I don't love the mixed media hair but it is better than Tauriel's. and the outfit is well done. She literally needs no futzing out of the box to look good.

All that said, I do have some complaints and this is mostly from a value stand point. I feel this is the lightest figure in terms of what was given for the money and it feels rushed. She costs the same amount as Eomer or Thorin who have super detailed, layered outfits, come with lots of gear and accessories and are just really impressive.

With Arwen we get a cool sword, a cheap scabbard with no where to put it (no belt, harness, or rig) and then a bunch of hands, a number of them seem like they are from a knock off Scarlet Witch figure casting spells. I don't recall Arwen ever making these gestures, even when summoning the water spell so it seems like they just threw them in to fill out the package a bit. I also feel that while the outer riding coat is nicely done, it is not the thickness/heaviness of the outer coat and she seems to be missing a layer between the lacey bit and this coat.. they sort of combined her dress and coat into one piece and I wish she had come with a heavier outer coat and this could have been the under dress.

I don't know what else she could come with but this seems the weakest of the offerings from that standpoint so instead, just knock $30-$50 off and it would have been a much more acceptable package. The instructions literally show you can swap the hands and the sword fits in the sheath. The just filled in the instruction booklet with standard AF stuff to make the package seem more than it is.

Still happy I have her but after the wonderment of unpacking Bilbo, Thorin, and Eomer recently, this one just fell short in several ways including the hair methods.

I am curious where they are going in the future and wish we had a better road map as the plans that were laid out in the early days have surely taken some different paths and now it is hard to say what they will come out with. A number of the Fellowship themselves have not sold out so it is hard to hope for second tier characters and the like. We heard about Faramir, Azog, Sauron, and Lurtz having been in some sort of state of development but beyond that, not sure what we can hope for. They really slammed these last four out (they were only previewed in July of last year and here they all are plus Arwen).

All that said, I do have some complaints and this is mostly from a value stand point. I feel this is the lightest figure in terms of what was given for the money and it feels rushed. She costs the same amount as Eomer or Thorin who have super detailed, layered outfits, come with lots of gear and accessories and are just really impressive.

That's why i'm not buying it. Almost changed my mind after i saw some in-hand pics here, but then i saw the price again and i froze. It sucks because i like Asmus, but i'll wait for a discount on this one.

Looks like KGHobby have got their stock in; only problem is that they tried to
charge me the remaining 80% balance cost plus shipping even though I paid in full when I pre-ordered- so once they wake up and realise their mistake mine will be on its way. It’s a good thing I keep track of what I do and don’t pay for.
I haven’t been disappointed by a single release yet- even Eowyn who was received somewhat poorly- so I have no doubt I’ll be blown away by Arwen. I’ve got a horse here waiting for her too!

EDIT: Issue resolved; Arwen is on her way. I should have her within 2 weeks.
Just won an ACI Ringwraith and Nazgul Steed on eBay too so they should compliment Arwen and my DIY Asfolath nicely.

So I’ve had Arwen sitting in a box here for a few weeks now but had other stuff to open or work on so I didn’t bother to get around to it until tonight.

I’m going to say this:WOW

I’m about as tough a critic as they come and of course my expectations were very low. I offered my concern awhile back on this thread as well over the head sculpt.

The corner asmus has turned in such a short time is pretty astronomical. Sculpt wise: It started getting usable about the time of Legolas, then it started getting good about the time of Frodo... now with gimli and Arwen I’d go so far to say it’s pretty good. Quality plastic and paint wise they are probably a hair above threezero who’s also improved recently. We are not hot toys qualify but already past hot toys 8 years ago quality.

The sculpt looks good! It looks like Liv Tyler. Could be better but no worse likeness wise than the majority of hot toys figures to be honest... Clean painting... it’s a winner overall.

I’m not a fan of the mixed media hair at all. Now I must say here that Asmus did this about as well as they possibly could. And given that they have a pretty consistent range of rooted hair figures and moving in that direction I get why they did this and not went solid. Had they went solid all the way, flexible PVC it would have been a damn solid looking figure all around. It of course would be odd to have an Arwen with solid hair amongst my real hair LOTR figures and I’d feel less inclined to replace it so I’m almost glad they went this way.

It matches about as well as it can but if you ask me it still looks odd and it’s a huge eyesore. It just doesn’t look right. My plan is to gut the real hair and replace it with the yak hair to get rid of the synthetic doll looking hair. I will probably keep the plastic braids. They are a nice soft PVC and blend in super well. Honestly I thought they were real braids! I’ll replace the bottom of them with real hair though. Finally I’m going to attempt to cover the top part with a thin layer of real hair following the sculpt. After this I think it will look great.

Paint wise i plan to tweak the eyes a bit reshaping the eyebrows is a must. This will bring out the likeness a lot. But that’s probably it. No need for a full repaint what we have here is working well.

Outfit wise it kind of blew me away. Fabric wise is incredible thin layers with accurate detailing amazing tailoring. Wow. Tailoring especially. And no body swapping for me despite the fact it’s sort of cheap feeling to the touch it just works so well with the tailoring. The boots need a bit of weathering but otherwise nice.

Yes it’s a light release... Honestly though this is all the outfit had... hands and a sword. Not sure what else she could have came with.

Only two issues I had were a flat/ shiny nose. This happens in packaging. I took to a hair drier to it for 5 seconds and it shaped right back up to normal. Good as new.

I suspect others will have this issue so keep it in mind.

Other issue is whatever body this is which seems like the cheap knock off hot toys stuff, overall it’s pretty solid with tight joints except she had very loose hips. Fear not; I pulled her pants and boots off popped those hips off super easy with little effort as hot toys and hot toys KO bodies are all ball jointed, wrapped that ball joint with a layer of athletic tape, popped the leg back on the ball joint and she’s solid as hell now.

I’ll look forward to tweaking her but honestly right out of this box this one is a winner. I can’t wait to see what else asmus can pull off in the future, we may get good LOTR figures that don’t need a ton of customizing yet.

Bravo on this one Asmus!

So I’ve had Arwen sitting in a box here for a few weeks now but had other stuff to open or work on so I didn’t bother to get around to it until tonight.

I’m going to say this:WOW

I’m about as tough a critic as they come and of course my expectations were very low. I offered my concern awhile back on this thread as well over the head sculpt.

The corner asmus has turned in such a short time is pretty astronomical. Sculpt wise: It started getting usable about the time of Legolas, then it started getting good about the time of Frodo... now with gimli and Arwen I’d go so far to say it’s pretty good. Quality plastic and paint wise they are probably a hair above threezero who’s also improved recently. We are not hot toys qualify but already past hot toys 8 years ago quality.

The sculpt looks good! It looks like Liv Tyler. Could be better but no worse likeness wise than the majority of hot toys figures to be honest... Clean painting... it’s a winner overall.

I’m not a fan of the mixed media hair at all. Now I must say here that Asmus did this about as well as they possibly could. And given that they have a pretty consistent range of rooted hair figures and moving in that direction I get why they did this and not went solid. Had they went solid all the way, flexible PVC it would have been a damn solid looking figure all around. It of course would be odd to have an Arwen with solid hair amongst my real hair LOTR figures and I’d feel less inclined to replace it so I’m almost glad they went this way.

It matches about as well as it can but if you ask me it still looks odd and it’s a huge eyesore. It just doesn’t look right. My plan is to gut the real hair and replace it with the yak hair to get rid of the synthetic doll looking hair. I will probably keep the plastic braids. They are a nice soft PVC and blend in super well. Honestly I thought they were real braids! I’ll replace the bottom of them with real hair though. Finally I’m going to attempt to cover the top part with a thin layer of real hair following the sculpt. After this I think it will look great.

Paint wise i plan to tweak the eyes a bit reshaping the eyebrows is a must. This will bring out the likeness a lot. But that’s probably it. No need for a full repaint what we have here is working well.

Outfit wise it kind of blew me away. Fabric wise is incredible thin layers with accurate detailing amazing tailoring. Wow. Tailoring especially. And no body swapping for me despite the fact it’s sort of cheap feeling to the touch it just works so well with the tailoring. The boots need a bit of weathering but otherwise nice.

Yes it’s a light release... Honestly though this is all the outfit had... hands and a sword. Not sure what else she could have came with.

Only two issues I had were a flat/ shiny nose. This happens in packaging. I took to a hair drier to it for 5 seconds and it shaped right back up to normal. Good as new.

I suspect others will have this issue so keep it in mind.

Other issue is whatever body this is which seems like the cheap knock off hot toys stuff, overall it’s pretty solid with tight joints except she had very loose hips. Fear not; I pulled her pants and boots off popped those hips off super easy with little effort as hot toys and hot toys KO bodies are all ball jointed, wrapped that ball joint with a layer of athletic tape, popped the leg back on the ball joint and she’s solid as hell now.

I’ll look forward to tweaking her but honestly right out of this box this one is a winner. I can’t wait to see what else asmus can pull off in the future, we may get good LOTR figures that don’t need a ton of customizing yet.

Bravo on this one Asmus!

I agree with your sentiment. Despite the criticism on the first images (or thanks to that) the final figure exceeded expectations. Asmus are doing an amazing job, and can't wait for their new releases, Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond.

I’m honestly not sure what I will tweak yet besides the eyes and eyebrows in debating if I try and do the hairing on the top method as I’m not sure I get get it to look the way I want to. I might also not even replace the doll hair surprisingly. Will give it a few weeks to see how I feel.

Anyways here’s a tip I suggest everyone do ASAP as it helps a lot,

Get a matte pomade, something from the drug store will do just make sure it says it had a matte finish on it and run it through all the hair.

It will really cut down that fake looking doll shine and make it look a lot more natural. I do this wirh the hot toys figures in toknlazy to replace the hair on butnice found once I did it on Arwen it’s essential.

I know some have said they did not notice the contrast between sculpted and real hair but to me it’s highly noticeable and very distracting. This actually does help it blend some. Not perfect but I’d go so far to say it’s worlds better now. absolute must do

Back