Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just registered to their main site and put their lotr website upside down and still can't find how to pre-order Aragorn directly for them...they just have some Slam Dunk figures And Horses for sale...

Asmus' license for LOTR is region restricted, so it's likely easier for them to just not sell online, than to try and set region restrictions on a handful of products.

Thanks for posting that image... that does illustrate what they were going for. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good.

I think it's as good as the ACI, but both suffer from odd hair. I think the sculpted works better there, but I wish the stranding was a bit softer... it almost looks like a mullet.

Totally agree on the hair, not the most detailed sculpt but really I think it's the paint. Too much contrast between the base and dry-brushed highlights. Cool thing about sculpted over rooted: you can change it up :)

aragorn.jpg

One simple thing that I think could help with the likeness is to lighten the facial hair in certain areas like right under the lip and at the end of the mustache. the comparison picture shows that either the hair is lighter there or thinner.

I bought their latest Ace Ventura straight from their website last year. Give it time, and Aragorn might come up yet. In the meantime, I've PO'd from BBTS as well.

Seems to me that everyone who bought the ACI one says that is better, and everyone who didn't says this is better. Chalk it up to self-confirmation/preservation of "I did what I did, and I made the right choice! Too bad for the other suckers!"

That being said, I did not buy the ACI because I thought the head sculpt was too Ken-Doll-like, and the clothes, while good, bulked him up too much. But I never said a negative comment in that thread. People have been spitting hatred at Asmus on FB all day, and there's no call for that. Our hobby is filled with entitled, first world problem, self righteous b****es. People need to grow up!

But that second head sculpt is amazing! I've not laughed at a head in a long time. Sure, it's goofy as hell, but it's a bonus, so who cares? For the record, I think the main sculpt is awesome.

:goodpost:

I have the ACI Aragorn, and I'm happy with it. But, I'm also happy for those that are excited about this offering from Asmus. There are some really great things about this figure, and all of its accessories. I'm hoping someone parts this out, as I really like that base; I think it's much nicer than ACIs generic stones.

Attacking Asmus with all the typical vitriol is just annoying to me. ACI gave us two characters, Asmus is planning to do as many as they can from LOTR and The Hobbit... something I'm very happy about, so people do need to cut them some slack... They're new, and they're nice enough to take honest critiques from their customers and address issues. The companies that everyone praise all the time don't take that kind of time, and don't really give a damn if they give us an overpriced POS. it's too bad people can't keep the comments respectful... But then Facebook is littered with mostly ********s anyway.

Got to say, not everyone who has the ACI is blasting Asmus, please see the nice comments from this nicer fellow below...

I reallly like the boots. Definitely much better than aci. Hopefully I can score a loose one for my aci.
The hands are cool. Like the dirty look.
The gauntlets are also better than aci. I personally feel the aci was too bulky so I prefer not using it.
The base is awesome! Nice!
I also think the clothes is on par with aci.

For me personally, I'm sticking with my aci.
But grats asmus, it looks like a nice figure.

I've got ACI and I'm gonna get Asmus too. I honestly don't like the ACI sculpt very much...he looks some kinda psycho while hair was less annoying than I thought. I think this other one can give me more satisfaction in that particular field, while some other stuff will probably be better on ACI. I don't understand why someone feels the need to take parts at all costs...this is happening in SW threads too, with HT vs SSC. And it's always about likeness...for someone it is spot one, for someone it looks like a monkey/doll/other guy/alien. Meh.

I bought their latest Ace Ventura straight from their website last year. Give it time, and Aragorn might come up yet. In the meantime, I've PO'd from BBTS as well.

Seems to me that everyone who bought the ACI one says that is better, and everyone who didn't says this is better. Chalk it up to self-confirmation/preservation of "I did what I did, and I made the right choice! Too bad for the other suckers!"

That being said, I did not buy the ACI because I thought the head sculpt was too Ken-Doll-like, and the clothes, while good, bulked him up too much. But I never said a negative comment in that thread. People have been spitting hatred at Asmus on FB all day, and there's no call for that. Our hobby is filled with entitled, first world problem, self righteous b****es. People need to grow up!

But that second head sculpt is amazing! I've not laughed at a head in a long time. Sure, it's goofy as hell, but it's a bonus, so who cares? For the record, I think the main sculpt is awesome.
Totally agree.

Got to say, not everyone who has the ACI is blasting Asmus, please see the nice comments from this nicer fellow below...

True, true! Maybe my statements was too much of a generalization. There are a lot of good people in the hobby (and this thread!) but the sniveling asshats are just louder :/

Just comparing more details, I think Asmus maybe got a better take on the belt (it seems to have the pouch and the sharpening stone), on quiver (hard to say but the buckle is better) and somehow the arrows (although still too clear). Also the gloves seems better (real material over the hand, not sculpted).
What is surely better on ACI, for what I see, are the jewels (Evenstar and Lorien brooch), the lorien cloak (grey and not green) and the inner vest (sueded and not pleather). Not sure about the cloak...ACI probably hangs better (and has the patch) while Asmus may have the correct color and upper body fit.

Good old SSC, btw, got the sword right for size, color and attachment to the belt. I already put it on my ACI.

I have the ACI, I'm awfully pleased with him, reapplied hair, weathered, made some new accessories and everything. I really enjoy that figure, but I`m equally pleased with Asmus' offering, its a different option for the same character, and I`m sure with a few touches , it will look perfect. The extra sculpt is redundant , but everything else looks top notch

Good old SSC, btw, got the sword right for size, color and attachment to the belt. I already put it on my ACI.

That's good to know, since it looks like I will be retiring SS Aragorn. But I will strip him for bits.

But did you say Asmus has "real material" on the gloves? You mean boots, right? Gloves certainly look sculpted to me.

So many of the toys and figures have the elven cloak as being green, it should be grey. Grr. So I guess the whole fellowship from asmus are going to have green elven cloaks?

So many of the toys and figures have the elven cloak as being green, it should be grey. Grr. So I guess the whole fellowship from asmus are going to have green elven cloaks?

LOL, the ACI has a grey cloak, and people were bitching in that thread that it should be green.

This from TolkienGateway:

Each cloak had a hood, was fitted to its wearer, and was fastened by a green Elven brooch. Their color was hard to define – grey in twilight but green when moved or brown as fields or dusk-silver in the night.

Elven cloaks - Tolkien Gateway

I'd go with green as my preference only because it seems most fitting and camouflage-y in a forest.

Thank you very much for the compliment.
I try to not be bias over brand. I choose whichever one I eventually like, whether its Hot toys, enterbay, medicom, or whichever.
If I have a figure, and another nicer one comes along, then its just a matter of selling the one I have, then buy the other version I like.
So that's why this was in my radar, kept my options open, and if this turned out more to my liking, then I would just sell my aci and get this one.

both have their strenths, and in this case, its just personal choice but I decided to stay with ACI.
But I feel Asmus is just on par with ACI and it all just came down to personal choice.

Some people feel the need to justify their purchase, so they'll bash the ones they didnt buy.
I always find it funny when some collectors find and point out the smallest detail, and then say the figure is crap...ignoring any positives it have.

I think its great for the collectible community that both ACI and Asmus stepped up to deliver this character, and that you cant go wrong on which one you choose, and that it all comes down to personal prefence.

Has anyone bought from Timewalker before?

For the record I have every LOTR figure release from SS, Asmus and all of ACI minus one wraith (I have one and I would love to buy the other but that price tag is keeping in check). I can point out a lot of nice things from all the releases even Sideshows if you view them under the lense of when they were made.

Comparing ACI and Asmus Aragorn's and you can even throw in Sideshow's and you can come up with each of them doing some things better than the others. Interestingly enough all three went with the ranger but only SS threw in a working black cloak.

Overall I am really excited about this one. When I have it in hand then I will give my opinion on which is better. ACI did a great job but for me I am still 50/50 on the hair and I can't display him with the rest of the fellowship without making him seem out of place because of it. Also hard plastic boots are not a favorite of mine ever since I got Jack Sparrow. Sturdy ankle articulation opens up a lot of stances a figure can hold.

I like that Asmus threw in the wrapped up cloak. Those are great accessories that help you display just about any scene from Fellowship minus him wearing the cloak. I also really like how they weathered the hands. I can't tell but is there a left hand sword grip?

Last edited:
Back