Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$240? For a figure that you know will have body issues and a sub-par likeness? No thanks!

$240? For a figure that you know will have body issues and a sub-par likeness? No thanks!

Don't just about all 1/6 figures suffer from body issues (most of my Hot Toys have weak ankles) and issues with likeness? I don't mean that to be belittling your opinion it is real and a lot share it but after being on this forum for years it seems like those three complaints can be applied to every figure out there. Granted the price differs.

I agree $240 is a lot and I would think it will probably cost them some sales but at the end of the day personally I would rather shell out $240 for a LOTR figure than a figure from another franchise. Hopefully the body that comes on mine is a sturdy one. My WK one has held up great so far. Nazgul not much :(. Personally I think they did a good job on the non-screaming head so at least for me one of the three issues is taken care of.

It is good for 160-180, not for 200-230 without shipping.
Sculpt is OK, paint is good. The problem with ACI is that they have very good sculpt and the painting is not as good (and painted eye position).
I love Asmus gauntlets and sleeping bag. And these boot are superior to plastic ones of ACI.
Yet, it almost the same as ACI, so I do not understand that. Why not to make a sword with a green handle, and include alternate outfit for Helm's Deep?

Well I was all set to buy from BBTS until I saw the price. So much for it being $100-$150 cheaper than ACI. I'll still end up getting, but will shop around a bit to see if I can find a better price. The reality is $200-$250 might be the price point going forward, and I'm willing to pay for quality pieces on par with HT and a prolific line rather than dead ending after a handful of characters. Asmus probably should have dropped the bonus head and tried to bring it in a little cheaper.

True. I would have accepted a basic stand and no screaming head if that got the price point to $180ish.

A Helms Deep outfit would have been fantastic. If they did that it would have made it a lot easier to swallow the price. Heck you could have bought the figure and then sold the extra outfit to someone that perferred the ACI sculpt.

Maybe Dave can run a picture contest with the second head sculpt.

I just registered to their main site and put their lotr website upside down and still can't find how to pre-order Aragorn directly for them...they just have some Slam Dunk figures And Horses for sale...

BBTS does often post a higher initial price and then lower it once new details emerge... still, I don't quite see $200 here that I want. Sure it's a pretty good deal considering all the extras, but like others I'm not interested in the base or the extra head.

I really haven't been in love with either the ACI or Asmus figures... so I guess I will just remain LOTRless for now and focus on other things to collect :lol

This ones tough: technically I have an Aragorn -- Sideshow's, though in desperate need of upgrading no doubt -- and I never had planned to revisit the figures I already had (Gandalf the Gray, Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas, etc). But Asmus made me reconsider when I saw the amazing job on Gandalf the White.

So now I am confronted by an excellent Aragorn that I definitely want but that has jumped out of the price bracket I had settled on in my mind -- my limit really is $199 per figure, not counting if they come with a horse. I want this. But with everyhting I want from LOTR, I do have to put a price limit on items -- especially ones that are upgrades to figures I already have.

This is the big one for Asmus. Everyone's favorite hero from LOTR. If they are going to get top-dollar for a figure then this is the one to do it on. I totally understand that.

I have a decision to make here.

Asmus, if you would ever consider a stripped down version with no stone base and no second head and priced so retailers can offer it at $180-$190 -- that would be a definite purchase for me, no questions asked. Just thinking out loud. :)

Maybe the the second sculpt will be sought after on the secondary market. It says it only comes with the preorder so it will be limited. If the market drives it up to the $50-$60 range Aragorn from bbts falls within your budget. Also the price might drop a while after the release. Although I kind of feel that part of the price jump is that they are making less quantity than they originally planned.

You might be right. I'll likely cave and preorder this, assuming I haven't blown my cash on Star Wars. :lol

EDIT: well spank me very much -- BBTS JUST DROPPED THE PRICE TO $219.99!!!

PREORDERED!

Funny, my auto-generated email notice regarding my preorder still has the old $239.99 price listed.

Last edited:
I pre-ordered earlier and the price automatically adjusted, so that's good. I hope the Hobbits come in a bit cheaper whenever they get released.

Yeah, still over my limit, but for the extra $20 -- hey, it's Aragorn! -- and considering that Eowyn is $190.... I just had to at least preorder.

Still confident that Asmus will make the King (Elessar) version so thats another option for people. But this one has the vembraces I've been wanting.

I swore I would not get back into this line. I have the SSC figures. But if this Aragorn turns out like the proto or better, I could not pass this up. I don't want every character, and cannot afford every character. I still like the SSC Boromir.

image.jpg
Someone posted this on Facebook. Do you naysayers really not see the likeness? Yea it's not perfect but so, so close.

Thanks for posting that image... that does illustrate what they were going for. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good.

I think it's as good as the ACI, but both suffer from odd hair. I think the sculpted works better there, but I wish the stranding was a bit softer... it almost looks like a mullet.

It's a beautiful figure!
I think Asmus has done an amazing job. And for the intricacy of the suit and the amount of extras, I don't think the price is far-fetched for this day and age.

Great work Asmus!

Back