Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is so bad I literally laughed. My kid looking at it over my shoulder laughed. By definition, it is "laughably bad". :lol

I don't see why everyone has to be so rude online. They are looking for constructive criticism. Frankly, I think they have balls for showing work in progress photos to the web. Which is obviously full of many immature individuals. Not trying to start a fight, just saying look what the end goal is that we all want. We want a good Aragorn sculpt. Just saying it's horrible or I'm laughing at it doesn't help the end goal. I agree with some of the earlier posts that the nose and eyes are the main thing off. If they can fix that it'll draw in the forehead a lot more.

I don't see why everyone has to be so rude online. They are looking for constructive criticism. Frankly, I think they have balls for showing work in progress photos to the web. Which is obviously full of many immature individuals. Not trying to start a fight, just saying look what the end goal is that we all want. We want a good Aragorn sculpt. Just saying it's horrible or I'm laughing at it doesn't help the end goal. I agree with some of the earlier posts that the nose and eyes are the main thing off. If they can fix that it'll draw in the forehead a lot more.

Oh I agree with you there. It is in our best interest to help Asmus with constructive feedback. Not surprised at the onslaught on Facebook though, FB and polite don't go together.

Using the mouth as a baseline you can compare the proportions here. I drew a line through the mouth that is the same in both pics then in the photo of Viggo I put in more lines - center of eyes, bottom of chin, top of forehead, top of eyebrows, etc.

The face is too long and too fat, the nose is almost entirely the wrong shape and too small, the eyes are too small, the bridge of the nose needs to be more rounded. I never noticed that Viggo has a scar on his upper lip which is missing in the sculpt.

Aragorn---Viggo-Mortensen.jpg

That's a very good way of expressing constructive criticism.

Although the new sculpt may not have come out well, I'm happy that Asmus actually tried a whole new sculpt. I hope they are willing to give it another go.

Actually from the graph you did it looks to me that the proportions are pretty close. Can you transfer all the lines so we know where the centering of the eyes and the width of the nose is compared to Viggo?

Everything is off just a little bit. But we're just talking proportions here. Also the shape of nose, eyes, bridge of nose, etc. are off as well.
Aragorn---Viggo-Mortensen3.jpg

Dave's breaking out gridlines... **** just got real :lol

It's funny, I can actually seem more of where the sculpt is accurate from the lines, but yes everything seems to be a smidge off here and there which adds up to a lot of problems.

I do think the single biggest issue is the eyes being too close together, I think if that were addressed more of the likeness would come out.

Looking at it straight on the right side seems like it's closer to the centerline then he left. If they could move the right just a little bit to the right and change the shape of the eyes a little I think it would help tremendously. Again though, looking at the graph, everything is about where it should be. The shape of the eyes is what's throwing it off the most I think. Someone on FB blocked out the eyes of the sculpt and of Viggo and it helped out a lot.

I think detail placement is ok... although some details remain off-book in terms of likeness. I think the overall problem is that the structure ofthe head is off in these new pics. Could be a product of the photography, but it looks like a drawing in which there is no understructure. the headshape seems skooshed off to one side... lop sided... and all the features are sitting on liquid. It almost looks like it melted a bit... it's very very odd... please don't give up on this. we LotR collectors are hungry for a really good 1/6 Aragorn... and you guys are our best hope.

Okay, the shape of the face and chin may be there, even the cheek bones. Redoing the eyes and nose completely and bringing the hairline down could make it much more acceptable.

Aragorn---Viggo-Mortensen4.jpg
(hairline not adjusted in pic.)

Attachments

• Aragorn---Viggo-Mortensen4.jpg
    Aragorn---Viggo-Mortensen4.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 277
skooshed - ummm... 'SK-oo-SH-D' not quite squished.. not squashed... somewhere in the neighbourhood of these...

Looking at it straight on the right side seems like it's closer to the centerline then he left. If they could move the right just a little bit to the right and change the shape of the eyes a little I think it would help tremendously. Again though, looking at the graph, everything is about where it should be. The shape of the eyes is what's throwing it off the most I think. Someone on FB blocked out the eyes of the sculpt and of Viggo and it helped out a lot.

Wow, it really does look like him if you stick your finger over the eyes :lol... now not a good selling point on a figure, but it does illustrate that it's one section of the sculpt that's really hurting the rest of it.

And kudos to Asmus for asking for feedback... hopefully they can walk it into a great likeness. I know I'm happier then if we'd just gotten this or the first the headsculpt.

Wow. That really helps a lot, Dave. It really is the eye area that knocks the likeness off. And I agree, I think the head shape, especially in the eye area, feels too wide.

But I think it's actually a bit closer than we first thought.

(And smaller irises would help, too.)

EDIT: Does Asmus sculpt with clay or do they do digital? It would be much easier to fix if they ZBrushed this guy.

okay... i did some playing...

first off, took the Viggo pic, and traced over it with some guidelines...
RB-Asumuth-Aragorn-01.jpg

then layered this over the photo of the sculpt. Placements look good, although that nose is WAY off...
RB-Asumuth-Aragorn-02.jpg

realized then that the main problem is the left side of the photo, Aragorn's right... it looks almost "bent forward"... off the normal curvature of the nead.
RB-Asumuth-Aragorn-03.jpg

cut that piece off the photo, reshaped it a little, and moved it over into a better position
RB-Asumuth-Aragorn-04.jpg

then reduced opacity on that layer, over top of the photo of Viggo... with the guidelines on top.
RB-Asumuth-Aragorn-05.jpg

there is a lot that needs to be fixed... but the main issue is the right side of Aragorn's head... it's... skooshed. deformed... off the regular curve of the head... y'know??

Back