Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of trying to fix this sculpt, I honestly think the best thing to do is to get a different sculptor to start it from scratch.
I personally think this last one, looks to have been modified way too many times and it shows.
Just my 2 cents...
Is that what this is? I thought it was a total resculpt and not a modification?

Main problems for me in order of importance (and reverse order of modifications needs of the actual sculpt):
1) Irides size and color (pic 2)
2) nostrils size (pic 3)
3) overall eyes size (pic 4)
Aracombo_zpscd0d8239.jpg

Come on Asmus, you must nail this one for the sake of the all line!

The modified color of the eyes helps a lot, good point here!
:)

Man, there is an improvement here... but still very far off the mark.

I'm quite surprised given how spot on Arwen and Gandalf were. I still just see a very distorted looking sculpt w/aspects of Viggo (I think the actual eyes area is well done) but the composition is all over the place.

Biggest issues:
1) eyes are too close together- I think being spaced further apart will help a lot w/how distorted his face appears and will balance out the forhead and top half of his face
2) Cheekbones need to be more prominent and cheeks should be more sunken in. He looks like he's missed a few meals, this face is too full.
3) Nose is too narrow

So, better, but still a ways to go and like Elvis said this might be a case of starting over as I think too much needs to be tweaked on this one to get him looking right.

Not sure what happened here but it looks like a step back. To me, I think the initial sculpt had more resemblance, granted caricature. This is a tough one because I do not know where to start. Which is generally not good. If the sculpt is close, its easy to point out thing to tweak. But this new sculpt seems so generic in many ways it would be a long laundry list of small fixes to get this back on track.

I agree with some others here when they said it might be easier just to start over fresh. Sorry Asmus. Tough feedback, I know.

Honestly I think the sculpt needs to be redone from scratch.
There is just too much work to be done on this one to make it actually looks like Viggo.

ATM it looks like he has some kind of deformation disease or he had bad surgery.

Instead of trying to fix this sculpt, I honestly think the best thing to do is to get a different sculptor to start it from scratch.
I personally think this last one, looks to have been modified way too many times and it shows.
Just my 2 cents...

Who is he?

Agreed. Get a better sculptor. Start over from scratch. This looks like a custom sculpt done by an amateur.

Asmus is asking for constructive feedback. We all know how super rare that is in this industry and I think it's a pretty ballsy thing for them to do. Let's give it to them. And maybe try to not be nasty. Just saying.

Asmus is asking for constructive feedback. We all know how super rare that is in this industry and I think it's a pretty ballsy thing for them to do. Let's give it to them. And maybe try to not be nasty. Just saying.

The only thing they can do is start again. With a different sculptor. That is not nasty. That is the way it is.

I'm 100% supportive of what Asmus is trying to do, but I think it may not be in their best interests to have shown that sculpt. I think anyone looking at it can tell that it needs too much work and should probably be scrapped and re-started. I wouldn't know where to begin to give notes on fixing it. The sculpt they had originally posted was about 75% there, but this is a huge setback.

Eyes too close, and face too flat. I will probably end up buying it anyways, as long as the outfit is good.

The only thing they can do is start again. With a different sculptor. That is not nasty. That is the way it is.

Yup, nothing nasty about it. If they want our feedback they open themselves up to hard-truth criticism and that sculpt is terrible and needs to be scrapped and completely re-done by a different sculptor who hopefully can make it look more accurate to Viggo's likeness.

Sure. I agree. They need to try again. Though, I'm not going to make staffing decisions for them. I don't care who the sculptor is. As long as it looks good, I'll buy it. But it has to look good.

(But calling it "laughably bad" is a little nasty, isn't it? Especially when we know they're reading the thread?)

Look, I'm sure they're all adults who can take it. And I'm certainly not trying to start anything here. My only point is, they're a small company and they're trying to do the right thing by asking for fan/customer input. I think we should be encouraging that. I'm certainly not saying we praise work that isn't up to par, but we can be nice about our disapproval. That's all I'm saying. We'll get a better figure in the end.

Okay, I'll scamper down off my soapbox now. :duff:1-1:

The two pictures Asmus posted directly in the thread look better than the one Elvis grabbed from their facebook. I can see Aragorn in there but there is something off about it. At first glance I would say the head sculpt is too wide but as some pointed out after comparing photos it might be pretty close. I would suggest maybe a few photos backed away from the figure showing the whole thing even if the outfit is not complete. If feels off to me but it also feels a lot closer then the 1st picture makes it look.

Asmus, any chance for a few pictures of the full figure to get a better feel of the proportions?

After reading and seeing PunnyT's post I now feel like I am seeing a better sculpt of Aragorn than I first gave it credit for.

Let's face it is is THAT bad. I don't think anything can be done to save that scupt.

The proportions are everywhere and the sculpt is flat from all angles, a new sculpt from scratch is necessary to strat fresh.

That sculpt even looks rough as hell.
You can show this sculpt to a million people and nobody will recognize who it's supposed to be.

Back