Ask Sideshow LOTR Q&A's

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we can see that with the last two offerings.... them and the shades of Mordor diorama were the only ones i didn't get.

Probably my favourite of all the dio's....then again the Ringwraiths are my favourite bad guys characters.

I'm sure we will. As the question said they will be messing with the size scale some to get them to fit within the line.

Yes, this is something they mentioned last year as well. Even though these are 1/6 scale statues SS does have some leeway where some creatures are concerned.

Last edited:
I would assume though I don't know its the same parameters that the old SSW line had and that Weta doesn't have say the portion of the rights to make bigger creatures.

I would assume though I don't know its the same parameters that the old SSW line had and that Weta doesn't have say the portion of the rights to make bigger creatures.

That I don't know. As for Weta, they don't have any say regarding SS's 1/6 scale licence, any former agreements have now long expired.

Right nothing tied between the two but I know Weta has some LOTR stuff not announced cooking. Wondering if its part of something like that.

Either way I cant wait to see besides the Fellowship which is #1 seeing say a Balrog come out.

Right nothing tied between the two but I know Weta has some LOTR stuff not announced cooking. Wondering if its part of something like that.

Either way I cant wait to see besides the Fellowship which is #1 seeing say a Balrog come out.

I know they announced a 1/12 scale statue line about 18 month's ago, but I am aware of no other potential lines outside the one's they are currently working on. :confused:

I imagine alot of people who missed out on the original Balrog will be thrilled at the prospect of SS producing one. :lecture

It may be just that but saw something of a rumor a while back but didn't pay much attention honestly. :lol

I would be. Though, I had that one for a while.

Lots of LOTR questions and answers today.

Friday, January 14th, 2011
Q.
Is it possible to change the Gandalf the Grey polystone statue / maquette and bring it out with a removable hat? Also, are you planning to bring out a companion piece (for example the Balrog)… then Gandalf would work better hatless, as in the movie.

It is possible that we will release a hatless Gandalf at some point in the future, but the current Gandalf Statue is much more of an iconic realization of Gandalf the Grey’s essence than it is meant to capture the specific film moment on the Bridge of Khazad-dum.

Q.
While the new Strider maquette looks amazing, I’m disappointed that you decided to go with yet another FOTR Aragorn. Is there any chance of future Aragorn collectibles (whether it be maquettes, premium formats, etc) to be based on his other appearances, like the Black Gate costume or Helm’s Deep armour?

Certainly. It is certainly possible that we’ll bring Aragorn back from one of his other appearances, but it’s hard to argue with the Strider Aragorn – he IS the iconic ranger.

Q.
Will you ever offer a Haldir figure/statue?

Haldir is not on the top of our list of characters to do, nor even at the top of the list of Elfen characters to do. We have a greater interest in other Elf designs from a purely aesthetic point of view, including and especially the Elfen warriors that appear in the prologue sequence, and Elrond himself. However, it may be that one day, fervor and enthusiasm from the fans push us to produce a Haldir statue.

Q.
Regarding the new LOTR maquette line, does Sideshow [within it's licencing agreement] have the ability to produce a 1/6 scale Morgul Lord maquette? If so, can collectors expect to see the iconic outstretched arms pose we have all been hoping for in that line? A lot of us believe this would be the “ultimate version” of the Morgul Lord, and would perfectly capture his “essence”. That is after all, the idea behind the new maquette line, isn’t it?

The Morgul Lord is a completely viable candidate for the statue series, which is indeed intended to capture each character’s “essence”. We will share your feedback with the design team.

Q.
Concerning the Morgul Lord Premium Format…I am wondering/hoping there is still time to “tweak” this PF a little. As a large number of collectors, myself included, believe that doing so will improve an already very good statue. The areas of concern are the elongated neck [a bit too long], the sword [blade and hilt too short] and the chain on the flail [longer than it should be]. Could you please pass on the concerns of collectors to those responsible for the end product? I know this was done with the Galadriel PF when Sideshow altered the PF to include sculpted hair [a very wise move!], and see no reason why it can’t be done in this instance as well. – AND – Sideshow, I’m really curious as to why you opted for the pose you went with on the Morgul Lord Premium Format? I think it safe to say the most iconic pose would have been the exact same one we saw in the background of the Morgul Lord production sneak peek video [arms outstretched, sword in one hand, flail in the other]. I also think it safe to say that is the pose 99% of collectors would have preferred. Unfortunately, your once again questionable decision-making abilities where LOTR is concerned have turned this from the most anticapated PF of the year to the most disappointing.

Hmmm… the Morgul Lord is shipping now, and we hope that in-hand images of the final product will address some of the points you raise. We believe this is one that must be seen to be fully appreciated, as the pose was constructed with the intent to provide an interesting piece regardless of viewing angle, a truly interesting piece from a 360-degree point of view. Please feel free to write us back and let us know your final conclusion.

Q.
Concerning the new LOTR maquette line can you clarify the details of your licensing agrement with us? According to the introductory video the term “they are 1/6 scale, 12 inches tall” was specifically mentioned. Does this mean Sideshow is limited to characters that are no more than about 6′ tall? This would cover characters such as humans and elves, but would obviously not allow for larger characters such as the Morgul Lord to be produced. Or does Sideshow have some leeway, allowing for some larger characters to be produced such as Sauron, a cave troll, etc…? Characters which would be larger than 12″ tall, though not necessarily true 1/6 scale.

The intention is to hold to 1:6 scale for all characters, meaning that a six foot tall character like Aragorn will register as 12-inches tall. Larger characters larger, and smaller, smaller – not all will be made to stand at 12-inches. So Gimli has been given a rather dynamic pose, so that even at his approximate 8-inch height, he’ll feel like a meaningful presence alongside his other taller companions. Sideshow has discretion in the matter in terms of licensing, but we hope this clarifies our basic intent.

Q.
In your new LOTR 1/6 scale statue line, can we expect to eventually see all the “fellowship” members in both their Fellowship attire, as well as their alternate outfits where applicable? Also, are we going to see the primary/secondary characters that inexplicably have never been produced in statue form? I am specifically referring to characters such as Faramir, Eomer, Denethor, Haldir and the Mouth of Sauron. And lastly can you share with us the names of any of the above characters that are currently being produced, or are at or near the top of the list for future production?

Yes, we very much intend for this format to be THE format that allows us to realize the promise of the full Fellowship, regardless of the attire. Yes, Faramir, Eormer, and the Mouth of Sauron are in design, and perhaps Denethor and Haldir will be one day too…

Good questions. I really wanted the complete fellowship in this line in their fellowship attire but guess that's not going to happen.

That's what I came away from this with. We'll see all of the 9 but they will be in any possible form of pose, outfit, etc. If this line is about the "essence" of the character, that for me means representing the Hobbits as they are in the Shire (though Fellowship garb would be very welcome as well!).

Them in their FOTR attire would be great but with the way this line is going we're gonna get the members of the Fellowship and many more. That is beyond great.

That's what I came away from this with. We'll see all of the 9 but they will be in any possible form of pose, outfit, etc. If this line is about the "essence" of the character, that for me means representing the Hobbits as they are in the Shire (though Fellowship garb would be very welcome as well!).

I think Merry would be in his Rohan armour, and i'd be VERY surprised if we don't get a 'fellowship' Pippin, considering everyone's been wanting one for years... but then if they're going to be on one base...

I would have preferred to have all 9 in fellowship attire, but I don't want to be buying multiple statues of Legolas and Boromir. Not when there are so many other characters to be had.

Lots of LOTR questions and answers today.

Question : Is it possible to change the Gandalf the Grey polystone statue / maquette and bring it out with a removable hat? Also, are you planning to bring out a companion piece (for example the Balrog)… then Gandalf would work better hatless, as in the movie.

Answer : It is possible that we will release a hatless Gandalf at some point in the future, but the current Gandalf Statue is much more of an iconic realization of Gandalf the Grey’s essence than it is meant to capture the specific film moment on the Bridge of Khazad-dum.

Question : While the new Strider maquette looks amazing, I’m disappointed that you decided to go with yet another FOTR Aragorn. Is there any chance of future Aragorn collectibles (whether it be maquettes, premium formats, etc) to be based on his other appearances, like the Black Gate costume or Helm’s Deep armour?

Answer : Certainly. It is certainly possible that we’ll bring Aragorn back from one of his other appearances, but it’s hard to argue with the Strider Aragorn – he IS the iconic ranger.

Question : Will you ever offer a Haldir figure/statue?

Answer : Haldir is not on the top of our list of characters to do, nor even at the top of the list of Elfen characters to do. We have a greater interest in other Elf designs from a purely aesthetic point of view, including and especially the Elfen warriors that appear in the prologue sequence, and Elrond himself. However, it may be that one day, fervor and enthusiasm from the fans push us to produce a Haldir statue.

Question : Regarding the new LOTR maquette line, does Sideshow [within it's licencing agreement] have the ability to produce a 1/6 scale Morgul Lord maquette? If so, can collectors expect to see the iconic outstretched arms pose we have all been hoping for in that line? A lot of us believe this would be the “ultimate version” of the Morgul Lord, and would perfectly capture his “essence”. That is after all, the idea behind the new maquette line, isn’t it?

Answer : The Morgul Lord is a completely viable candidate for the statue series, which is indeed intended to capture each character’s “essence”. We will share your feedback with the design team.

Question : Concerning the Morgul Lord Premium Format…I am wondering/hoping there is still time to “tweak” this PF a little. As a large number of collectors, myself included, believe that doing so will improve an already very good statue. The areas of concern are the elongated neck [a bit too long], the sword [blade and hilt too short] and the chain on the flail [longer than it should be]. Could you please pass on the concerns of collectors to those responsible for the end product? I know this was done with the Galadriel PF when Sideshow altered the PF to include sculpted hair [a very wise move!], and see no reason why it can’t be done in this instance as well. – AND – Sideshow, I’m really curious as to why you opted for the pose you went with on the Morgul Lord Premium Format? I think it safe to say the most iconic pose would have been the exact same one we saw in the background of the Morgul Lord production sneak peek video [arms outstretched, sword in one hand, flail in the other]. I also think it safe to say that is the pose 99% of collectors would have preferred. Unfortunately, your once again questionable decision-making abilities where LOTR is concerned have turned this from the most anticapated PF of the year to the most disappointing.

Answer : Hmmm… the Morgul Lord is shipping now, and we hope that in-hand images of the final product will address some of the points you raise. We believe this is one that must be seen to be fully appreciated, as the pose was constructed with the intent to provide an interesting piece regardless of viewing angle, a truly interesting piece from a 360-degree point of view. Please feel free to write us back and let us know your final conclusion.

Question : Concerning the new LOTR maquette line can you clarify the details of your licensing agrement with us? According to the introductory video the term “they are 1/6 scale, 12 inches tall” was specifically mentioned. Does this mean Sideshow is limited to characters that are no more than about 6′ tall? This would cover characters such as humans and elves, but would obviously not allow for larger characters such as the Morgul Lord to be produced. Or does Sideshow have some leeway, allowing for some larger characters to be produced such as Sauron, a cave troll, etc…? Characters which would be larger than 12″ tall, though not necessarily true 1/6 scale.

Answer : The intention is to hold to 1:6 scale for all characters, meaning that a six foot tall character like Aragorn will register as 12-inches tall. Larger characters larger, and smaller, smaller – not all will be made to stand at 12-inches. So Gimli has been given a rather dynamic pose, so that even at his approximate 8-inch height, he’ll feel like a meaningful presence alongside his other taller companions. Sideshow has discretion in the matter in terms of licensing, but we hope this clarifies our basic intent.

Question : In your new LOTR 1/6 scale statue line, can we expect to eventually see all the “fellowship” members in both their Fellowship attire, as well as their alternate outfits where applicable? Also, are we going to see the primary/secondary characters that inexplicably have never been produced in statue form? I am specifically referring to characters such as Faramir, Eomer, Denethor, Haldir and the Mouth of Sauron. And lastly can you share with us the names of any of the above characters that are currently being produced, or are at or near the top of the list for future production?

Answer : Yes, we very much intend for this format to be THE format that allows us to realize the promise of the full Fellowship, regardless of the attire. Yes, Faramir, Eormer, and the Mouth of Sauron are in design, and perhaps Denethor and Haldir will be one day too…

Wow, more questions! :google Even better, questions 3, 4, 5 [the 1st half], 6, and 7 are mine. :yess:

the maquette line looks like it has a lot of potential at this point. It seems most LOTR collectors prefer the statues (myself included).

So glad I decided to collect this line. Just need my Aragorn and GTG wait lists to convert now.

the maquette line looks like it has a lot of potential at this point. It seems most LOTR collectors prefer the statues (myself included).

So glad I decided to collect this line. Just need my Aragorn and GTG wait lists to convert now.

Still plenty of time, I'd be very surprised if they both don't convert.

Back