Ask Sideshow LOTR Q&A's

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The next three years are going to be a lot of fun and bring back a lot of memories.

I can't believe that I'm going to have just one more of those moments in life where I walk out of the theater and think of how long the wait will be until next Christmas when PJ will be taking me back to Middle Earth.

I just hope that the Tolkien resurgence will add some fuel to the PF line.

Indeed! I have so many good memories from seeing the movies in the theaters that I'm so stoked to get back to the theater.

Another two questions answered today, though not really much to get excited about. The 2nd one is mine. :

Wednesday, January 12th, 2011

Question : Wow. $235 for the new Aragorn maquette? That’s just slightly less than a 1/4 scale premium format figure. Also almost twice as much the previous 1/6 scale statues. What gives?

Answer : Time. Costs. Materials. Complexity – the new Aragorn statue offers quite a bit more depth and detail than earlier offerings. We believe the fans want intricate, amazing detail, and that demand outweighs the demands of holding to specific pricepoints. We create with the final product’s outlook in mind, rarely confied to a set price (which would require uncomfortable compromise). Trust us, the increase in costs allow us deliver better and better product, not an inflation of Sideshow’s margin. And the world moves on, and forward, and manufacturing will never return to the same costs as 1995, 2000, or 2005.

Wednesday, January 12th, 2011

Question : May 28, 2010 marked the one year anniversary since the last LOTR Legendary Scale Bust pre-order [Boromir]. Not only have we not had a single LSB pre-order since that day, we haven’t gotten so much as a preview, sneak peak, or even a hint of any upcoming LSB’s. For those of us who love and faithfully collect this line, how about easing our pain somewhat with some good news for a change?

Answer : Very true. We haven’t felt excited enough about any of the existing LOTR LSB designs to move forward into sculpture, but we’ll revisit the planning to see what might be possible for the future.

I thought the LSB line was dead and buried, but maybe it's still on life support. From the sound of things SS hasn't quite "pulled the plug" yet....:dunno

I've been saying that about the cost to make stuff for a while and it got me in trouble trying to make the point that to expect the price of items from years before is pointless.

In regards to the LSB pieces they just haven't sold well it doesn't seem from any license. Not sure why cause they've all looked pretty cool.

But i do agree that things cost more now than they used to.... the materials they need to sculpt with have probably gone up in cost.

Does polystone actually cost more? Innovative materials usually drop in price before eventually rising with inflation.

Sideshow's prices have increased many fold over basic inflation over the past few years.

Hmmmmm....... it's still a sculpted 1/6 scale polystone statue :dunno

But i do agree that things cost more now than they used to.... the materials they need to sculpt with have probably gone up in cost.

Material costs [resins, glue, paint, packing/shipping materials], shipping costs, and labour costs [R&D, sculptor fee's, Chinese slave labour], are all much higher than they were 10 years ago.....not to mention all the costs involved with running a large company such as employee saleries, maint., energy costs, etc.....

Maybe it's the cement they pour into the polystone, cos I heard cement is now costly all around the world.

Maybe it's the cement they pour into the polystone, cos I heard cement is now costly all around the world.

I believe polystone is a combination of cement dust and resins, and I have no doubt the cost of cement/cement dust has gone up in price....just like everything else.

"With Ringer's hands in your wallets, you will be safe,always."

For some reason, I do not find that quote reassuring. :monkey3

Two more Q&A's just posted on the SS website. The first part of the 2nd question looks very familiar. :monkey3

Thursday, January 13th, 2011

Question : The new LOTR maquette line looks promising but it currently supports only good heroes. Do you have any plans to produce villains like Saruman, Nazgul, Mouth of Sauron, or even some monsters like Balrog, Fell Beast, Troll, etc?

Answer : Yes, most definitely, but the larger size of many of those characters will require us to invent some new ‘rules’ about size and format. For now, we’re most focused on the core characters and villains in more or less human scale.

Thursday, January 13th, 2011

Question : Sideshow, with the recent news that a second LOTR line [firstly the 12" figure, and now the LSB line] is “under review” [aka dead in the water] how will you restore the trust and confidence of LOTR collectors who not only question Sideshow’s commitment to the LOTR license, but also you’re ability to keep your word? And I only mention this because it was your CEO, Greg Anzalone, who specifically told LOTR LSB collectors in a chat that the LSB line was “still viable”. How will you convince those of us who refuse to get involved in the new 1/6 scale maquette line to do so, when we believe [based on past experience] that it’s only a matter of time before you pull the plug on this one as well!- AND – “The LOTR LSB line is under review… It seemed to us to be losing steam, as sales on the last few releases were significantly slower than the early LSB releases… For the moment, we’re investing our attention into the PF and statue lines.” It’s losing steam because of likeness issues and the snail’s pace at which they are being produced. Plain and simple. Give the fans what they want and perhaps the end result may differ. It’s not complex math. How many incarnations of Aragorn, Gandalf & Legolas do we need?! Finish a line that includes all the Fellowship for once. Give us Gimli, Saruman, Faramir, Eomer, Merry, Pippin and all other key characters you love to ignore. Don’t make excuses. Make it happen.

Answer : In great fairness, we move from format to format in an attempt to maintain solid interest in our LOTR offerings, not out of malicious intent or disinterest in the property. We LOVE LOTR. We love LOTR fans. LOTR is still viable; whether or not specific formats can run continuously as ‘viable’ is another matter entirely and depends not only on sales and revenue potential, but also the creative energy of our staff. The creative energy flowed out of the LSB and diorama lines and wholeheartedly into the statue series. You’ll see the fruits of our labor, and the major momentum of the line, in photo form. We’re strongly campaigning with LOTR and won’t stop. No other LOTR licensee has maintained steady production of LOTR since the movie. Not one. We feel privileged that the LOTR fans have allowed us the success that we have had – and continue to have – with the property, and hope that it continues into the far future; many other LOTR licensees were not as lucky as Sideshow. We do carry that responsibility with respect, high regard, and great optimism. If we haven’t expressed it well before, please allow us to state it now – THANK YOU to the long time fans of Lord of the Rings. We love you. A game-changer is coming, in the form of two simple words. The Hobbit. The movie. All bets are off – let’s see where Middle-earth goes in the next few years. It should be fun.

Thats the thing I've stood by the fact I know these guys love LOTR. You read it, hear it, and see it when you talk to them. Now, that we have so momentum again others will see what I've seen for years. :rock

Thats the thing I've stood by the fact I know these guys love LOTR. You read it, hear it, and see it when you talk to them. Now, that we have so momentum again others will see what I've seen for years. :rock

I have a feeling the next several years are going to be glorious! :yess:

Great times fot LOTR collectors
I'm so curious to see what's coming in the maquette line ...

Please bring me more villains and I'll be good to go. Really hoping for some kind of fell beast statue and maybe a Gothmog PF or another Orc...preferably suited in armor.

I'm sure we will. As the question said they will be messing with the size scale some to get them to fit within the line.

Back