ARGO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol oops... since he won the golden globes one I thought he was nominated for the Oscar also.

He's been snatching up a bunch of Best Director awards at other award shows the past month and a half but for some reason the Academy didnt think he was top 5.

Did he tell the Academy to "Argo **** themselves?" It seems like a missed opportunity if he didn't.:lol

:lol :lecture

Just saw this. 9.5/10 for me. Great movie all around - script, acting, cinematography, costumes all top notch. Such a crazy story it amazes me that it really happened...and it worked.

I refuse to watch this movie,it's a big slap in the face to the Canadians involved and not a accurate depiction of what really happened.

Rented this yesterday and it was pretty darn good. Ill probably get the BR. This story is so crazy I'm shocked it worked.

It's a movie. Not a documentary.

Oh FFS STFU..seriously..read up on what happened before you talk that ****..this movie is based on a true story and most of what unfolds in it is BS lies and they even take shots at Canada in it, its a ****ing joke.

Taylor noted that former U.S. President Jimmy Carter appeared on CNN on Thursday night and said "90 per cent of the contributions to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian," but the film "gives almost full credit to the American CIA."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/02/23/argo-taylor-oscars.html

Oh FFS STFU..seriously..read up on what happened before you talk that ****..this movie is based on a true story and most of what unfolds in it is BS lies and they even take shots at Canada in it, its a ****ing joke.

Taylor noted that former U.S. President Jimmy Carter appeared on CNN on Thursday night and said "90 per cent of the contributions to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian," but the film "gives almost full credit to the American CIA."

Exactly "based" usually this means very loosely. just enjoy a ****ing movie instead of whining about how it takes "shots" at Canada. I love when people believe a movie that is based or inspired by true events mean it unfolds exactly what happened. Its a hollywood film not a documentary. Damn if I hated every movie that took shots at America I would hate alot of foreign films.

It's an entertaining film.

Unfortunately too many movie-goers DO think films truly represent the events shown. Titanic, Braveheart, The Patriot etc. are all hideously inaccurate for the sake of drama, yet the average Joe tends to belive, or at least not question, what they have seen.

Still, saw Argo last night and thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Well historically speaking Canada did get credit, but the point of the movie was the CIA agent got no recognition at all until 1997. I mean it is an American movie, I am sure Canada can make their own version of it if they so chose. Where did they take shots at Canada?? Wasn't the Canadian ambasader shown to be the hero of the movie. They specifically said only he would take them in and he is the one that actually saved them from capture. I don't really get the uproar over this. Its a movie made by Ben Afflect, a Bostonian about an american CIA agent it was never meant to be a film about Canada or meant to be viewed as a strict historical documentary. If Canadians are pissed wonder how Iran feels about it. Also I wonder how upset you would be after seeing the Iranian made version of these events. Its just a movie and didn't even portray Canadians poorly. Jeez there would be no movie had that Canadian guy not taken them in. Relax.

Lol if I got upset every time a movie was historically inaccurate I wouldn't be watching many movies. Movies are fiction. Based on real events means just that it does not mean "your watching an actual true account of the events as they occurred in reality"

Last edited:
Just saw this. 9.5/10 for me. Great movie all around - script, acting, cinematography, costumes all top notch. Such a crazy story it amazes me that it really happened...and it worked.
Yeah this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Affleck is really directing some great movies.
I refuse to watch this movie,it's a big slap in the face to the Canadians involved and not a accurate depiction of what really happened.
e8khhl.jpg

It's an entertaining film.

:lecture

I saw it, regardless of how accurate it is. I thought it was well done. Not every movie is going to be dead on. I had this discussion in the rate movie thread. In the end, it entertained.

btw Valfar, my one friend didn't want to go see it either for the same reasons you expressed.

"Friends of Taylor were outraged last September when Argo debuted at the Toronto International Film Festival. The original postscript of the movie said that Taylor received 112 citations and awards for his work in freeing the hostages and suggested Taylor didn't deserve them because the movie ends with the CIA deciding to let Canada have the credit for helping the Americans escape"

:lol

That really disgusts me.

I voiced my valid opinion on this, deal with it?..with what?..more lies and manipulation?, to set more future nonsensical debate with an even dumber generation of sheep to come?.

"Friends of Taylor were outraged last September when Argo debuted at the Toronto International Film Festival. The original postscript of the movie said that Taylor received 112 citations and awards for his work in freeing the hostages and suggested Taylor didn't deserve them because the movie ends with the CIA deciding to let Canada have the credit for helping the Americans escape"

That really disgusts me.

I voiced my valid opinion on this, deal with it?..with what?..more lies and manipulation?, to set more future nonsensical debate with an even dumber generation of sheep to come?.

Nice.... One thing about Valfar, you may not agree with the guy all the time, but he doesn't give up on his reasoning/beliefs, no matter how often he gets attacked for those reasons/beliefs, and I respect that.

That really disgusts me.

Just make your own version of the movie and set the world straight! You can call it the real Argo based on 100% accurate events as they unfolded in reality at that time.

Do you know that even history is distorted, anything written down, and not captured live on cameras, has been distorted in some way be the persons interpretation of the events. No human can recount events 100% as they occurred without their brain filling in some of the blanks.

Also, why are you insulting people because they like this movie?? What is the big deal? Ya we are all stupid sheep because we enjoyed a movie that will probably win the award for best picture. And this enjoyment according to you means that we hate Canada and that we all blindly believe that the movie was a 100% historically accurate?? Do you know how crazy that sounds??

If you do not like the movie don't watch it. Its pretty simple. Also you sort of asked for these responses by saying that argo is some sort of negative propaganda against Canada and that it was lying to the world with its accounts of these events. At which point, people responded by saying "its just a movie" not meant to be taking as history or actual government policy, and then u proceed to attack them and spew this hate for all Americans.

Look I am sorry if this movie offended your nationality but jeez your acting like america harmed Canada in some real world way. I am done trying to reason with you.

For your health, i am not sure i recommend coming/viewing the ARGO thread. I don't see how being reminded of this movie is good for you.

Back