Are prices getting out of control?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love ssc but yes, the prices are killer. They just keep getting more and more expensive. Are the pieces worth it? That's up to the person purchasing it.

I just feel bad for anyone who has to pay customs. Got my dad the T-600, shipping was $25.00 and then customs charged him $24.00. So add that to the $170.00 price tag of the actual figure and well, a big gulp indeed.

Had the prices been lower I wouldn't have canceled my Lara and Undying Carcass. But it's up to ssc how they set their prices and up to us to decide if we want to pay them. Since people are paying, they are going to keep the prices high.

Spider-Man comiquette was almost the end of the line for me. I have no idea why he is over $350 when a year ago Comiquettes were under $200.

Hulk I can *maybe* understand, but these rising costs are going to make me way more particular about what I pick up and will lead to me buying less overall.

I think the price increase is relative to the quality of the figures we've been getting over the years, but over $200 for mass market is high. And your talkin' to a guy who paid over $300 for CRM figures YEARS AGO, but those were quite limited, so you paid for the exclusivity, which you still pay for today with con exclusives.

As for the bubble bursting, you guys are a bunch of Chicken Littles. You can't compare the 1/6 collectable industry with baseball cards. Good movies last a lifetime, whereas good baseball players last a few years. If a movie is classic and the collectables are done well, the collectables will sustain value. Example: Platoon; Sideshow figures gained in value and are still valuable and the property is still hot enough for HT to pick it up and run with it. The SS figures will take a hit, but only cause people will buy the HT versions b/c of the increase in quality.

Bo Jackson's rookie card was hot when he was hawking shoes, but it ain't worth Diddley today (see what I did there :wink1:).

And like someone else said--this is more like art; low number, mass produced art.

As much as I hate the price increases, people should admit that the quality has taken an even stronger jump.

...But theres got to be a limit with what people will pay for a 1/6th fig.(or PF or statue...).
How high will you go for something to place on your shelf? Just how deep do these companies think our pockets are? I love most os SSC's products but when I start passing on SW and gijoe figs, they really must be pricing themselves out of the market.

...But theres got to be a limit with what people will pay for a 1/6th fig.(or PF or statue...).
How high will you go for something to place on your shelf? Just how deep do these companies think our pockets are? I love most os SSC's products but when I start passing on SW and gijoe figs, they really must be pricing themselves out of the market.

The limit depends on the collector.

The companies are in a boom period and their prices unstable. At what point (price) do they begin to flatten out :dunno

I hope soon :panic:

That is the question isn't it? I feel like everything will balance itself out. If the prices exceed the demand it will force the companies to pull back. Happens all the time. Just like any commodity, charge what the market will bear. Im already scaling back but Im not going to stop as far as I can see. It will mean one or two completely breath taking figures instead of four or five amazing ones. That's ok too. Im running out of space anyway. :wink1:

Like I said, to me these are not toys.

For the most part I think collectors have been a bit more selective of what they buy, in that regard I think if a company is going to put out an expensive item based on an established character or license, that product better be dead on for today's collector, otherwise it will sit on the shelves.

I don't collect 1/6 figs, but I am shocked to see what a typical HT figure goes for now; esp when I compare it to what I pay for the average SS PF. :panic:

Makes me wonder what the underlying causes are -

1) Licensing increases

2) Manufacturing costs

3) Demand/market figures

Perhaps a bit of everything? :dunno

Sideshow prices are getting very silly especially in the UK. Im just gonna get a few more SS OT figs and call it done. Im still gonna buy lots of Hot toys though cos their just awesome.

Hey Choopie C-Bus resident :wave

Hi ya back! :wave

I think we are starting to see the impacts of collector limitations with many Sideshow products (exclusives included) coming back on second chance, still in stock or sold-out items reverting back to pre-order or in-stock status. I've even noticed the HT craze slowing down.

I don't anticipate companies to pull back on their prices. They'll pull back on product diversity or ES to make their products more limited.

Now that 1:6 figures have reached AS MUCH as 1:4 Premium Format figures has the 1:6 market finally reached its melting point? Will people continue to collect at these prices when quality cannot justify the costs? Will the hobby finally implode when values cannot hold on the secondary market?

Don't know. All I know is that I didn't (and won't) pre-order Indy, but I do have four Sideshow figures/one comiquette pre-ordered, and there are atleast five Sideshow figures that I need to catch up on. I expect all five to maintain their retail price (so far three of them have; the other two are new so it's hard to tell, but they're popular and will likely be in demand for some time).

With the cost of Hot Toys DX Indy and now Thor they have reached the limit. I guess I am done buying new Hot Toys figures.

With the cost of Hot Toys DX Indy and now Thor they have reached the limit. I guess I am done buying new Hot Toys figures.

Yeah, the DX Indy is pretty absurd. Especially with the botched likeness and lack of attention to detail on the wardrobe and hat. How much is Thor?

Now that 1:6 figures have reached AS MUCH as 1:4 Premium Format figures has the 1:6 market finally reached its melting point? Will people continue to collect at these prices when quality cannot justify the costs? Will the hobby finally implode when values cannot hold on the secondary market?

I think 1/6 toy collecting is turning into a hobby for the wealthy. 1/6 figures by hot toys are now almost averaging close to $200bucks a pop and between $400-$2000 in the secondary market! No working class parent is going to spend $200 bucks on a figure for their kids. As long as there are rich people who love toys, prices are going to stay high.

I foresee collectors only buying what they TRULY LOVE/Have to have.

All others may rot. So companies better gives us the cream of the crop.

Take me for example.

Sure i would love Indy.
Sure i would love Iron Man M4
Sure i would love Ghost Rider.

But will not be buying. I will be buying Superman/Spider-man/Michael Jackson Beat it from Hot toys. Because those i love and not as much the others.

Back