Are prices getting out of control?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that 1:6 figures have reached AS MUCH as 1:4 Premium Format figures has the 1:6 market finally reached its melting point? Will people continue to collect at these prices when quality cannot justify the costs? Will the hobby finally implode when values cannot hold on the secondary market?

Some would argue that SS PFs are overpriced as well with their crappy likenesses and paint jobs, not to mention static poses. That being said, HT is getting to the point where the prices are ridiculous.

I've always been a little choosy about what figures I get. When I started collecting three years ago I could still get some older figures for $20-$60 on ebay, so I went a little wild and got a good batch of old Sideshow SW, Bond, etc. But now that I "caught up", I have majorly slowed down the buying because of prices. Now all new figures are at least $90 (maybe $80 if you shop around). The first two years I collected an average of 1 a month. Last year I only got 4 (Sandtrooper, KOTCS Indy, Iron Man Mk I because of an awesome GoHastings sale, and Go Hero Buck Rogers for Christmas). And this year so far I got Iron Man Mk IV and no preorders at all.

I would have loved to get HT Indy if only I felt he was worth the price. Even if he was perfect it would still hurt like hell to pay $225-$250 for him, despite him being my favorite character. I really can't afford to buy on a whim. I truly have to LOVE the character and figure in order to spend $90-$150 on a figure. I mean, it was hard enough when I first started this hobby to justify $65!

It's a shame, really. When I first stumbled across this hobby, it opened up a whole new world for me. It has brought me such joy to get these figures and study and appreciate the design and craftmanship that went into each of them. It was always an expensive hobby, but it gave me back an equal amount of happiness. With HT's Indy, I'm pretty much priced out of it.

So now I've got a short list of absolute must haves, and I'm sticking to it unless I find real bargains.

I mainly collect 3A figures now and their prices can't be matched. Figures, as good if not better than hot toys or med are still under 100 if you get them from 3A directly. Aftermarket, now that's a different story.

I mainly collect 3A figures now and their prices can't be matched. Figures, as good if not better than hot toys or med are still under 100 if you get them from 3A directly. Aftermarket, now that's a different story.

You are definitely getting a more limited and unique item with 3A, but paying up front for something that might not ship for 6-8 months is tough. If you can afford it, it is much better ordering direct then trying to buy them later on eBay.

So I take it, you haven't seen Indy yet. :lol

Oh trust me I've seen it. But I tend to stay away from those debates as much as I can. Don't like arguing very much. And yes I think it's way off, but that's not the norm for HT. They can do way better and there's no way I'm paying $250 for that.

Oh trust me I've seen it. But I tend to stay away from those debates as much as I can. Don't like arguing very much. And yes I think it's way off, but that's not the norm for HT. They can do way better and there's no way I'm paying $250 for that.

It will be. Same sculptor's tapped to do the DX Reeve Superman. :(

Now that 1:6 figures have reached AS MUCH as 1:4 Premium Format figures has the 1:6 market finally reached its melting point? Will people continue to collect at these prices when quality cannot justify the costs? Will the hobby finally implode when values cannot hold on the secondary market?

I'm definitely done with 1/6 at these prices. DX Indy would've been a crazy price even if the figure looked great. As is, it's comical.

I'll stick with PF's and other polystone products until 1/6 prices come back down to Earth.

you'd think the price increases would clear some of the riff raff from this board, but it doesn't. it seems to bring more in. how unfortunate for the rest of us.

$250 for a 12" figure is insane regardless of detail, likeness, etc. A line has to drawn somewhere. I've been collecting for awhile and I promised myself that if 12" figs (even Hot Toys) ever hit the $200 mark then I'd have to step away from that end of the hobby.

Unfortunately, seems like there's no going back to $135.00-$150.00 HT figures...
It sucks because they are releasing a bunch of amazing figures for me this year... Spidey, Beat it MJ, Kevin Flynn, Sam & Bike, Bruce Lee, Supes, Indy... but I'm seriously starting to re-think my priorities regarding 1/6 collecting...
Not sure, but this might be my last year of collecting HT... I've got some amazing figures from them already but over $200.00 a pop, is just too much for me now... :(

just as long as MOTUC figures stay under $250. i'll be ok.

dont be surprised though if prices go up on our masters figures...I see $22-25 each in the near future....in fact,count on it

nostradamus.jpg.%5Broflposters.com%5D.1249426412.jpg.%5Broflposters.com%5D.myspace.jpg

Thor was put up on BBTS for $219. I forgot that they elevate the prices then adjust later on Hot Toys. It's up at Sideshow for $169.

Unfortunately, seems like there's no going back to $135.00-$150.00 HT figures...
It sucks because they are releasing a bunch of amazing figures for me this year... Spidey, Beat it MJ, Kevin Flynn, Sam & Bike, Bruce Lee, Supes, Indy...

Of those though, Spider-Man and Flynn are selling for under $150. The store I buy from has Spider-Man for $123 and Flynn for $134. The Platoon figures, Royce, and Hans Landa, very recent figures, also sold for less than $140 most places. The $135 - 150 price range still certainly exists then.

I've only been buying/following these figures for about two years now and so I don't know about the overall increase, I don't have any real concept of how things were further back. I notice or feel that more often than not though, figures do seem to be pushing up in price but I don't know how that compares to the past.

Maybe someone can answer that for me? How much was ED-209 when that out, for one? That seems like a reasonable gauge for comparing the highest of prices today to the highest prices back then. I looked into it and I can't find the original price.

I look at Crawford's site and the Aliens Powerloader is listed there as having been $230 in 2007 and today they have Ghost Rider for that price. There seems to be some precedent then, going back 3 - 4 years at least, for the prices we see today. I'm not saying prices aren't increasing but it looks to me like it's a little more complicated than some of you are making out, it doesn't seem to be just a complete increase across everything.

Of those though, Spider-Man and Flynn are selling for under $150. The store I buy from has Spider-Man for $123 and Flynn for $134. The Platoon figures, Royce, and Hans Landa, very recent figures, also sold for less than $140 most places. The $135 - 150 price range still certainly exists then.

I've only been buying/following these figures for about two years now and so I don't know about the overall increase, I don't have any real concept of how things were further back. I notice or feel that more often than not though, figures do seem to be pushing up in price but I don't know how that compares to the past.

Maybe someone can answer that for me? How much was ED-209 when that out, for one? That seems like a reasonable gauge for comparing the highest of prices today to the highest prices back then. I looked into it and I can't find the original price.

I look at Crawford's site and the Aliens Powerloader is listed there as having been $230 in 2007 and today they have Ghost Rider for that price. There seems to be some precedent then, going back 3 - 4 years at least, for the prices we see today. I'm not saying prices aren't increasing but it looks to me like it's a little more complicated than some of you are making out, it doesn't seem to be just a complete increase across everything.

I've been collecting Hot Toys since early 2006... when figures were around $90.00 bucks... I'm not complaining about figures like Ghost Rider with bike or Sam with Light Cycle, but more about figures like Thor, Thriller MJ and Indy that are above the $200.00 mark and even though some have cool accessories, it's getting beyond what I'm willing to pay for single figure releases...

BTW ED-209 was about $180.00 in most places, Robocop $120.00
If they were released nowadays more they would easily be around $290.00 and $200.00 respectively...

Hot Toys is getting bigger, so obviously their overhead has increased and we pay for that... also I'm sure materials, tooling and licensing fees have increased... it was bound to happen... what I'm saying is that it IS unfortunate for me... because I can't keep up with it... that's all!... :dunno
Prices are up, yet my salary is not... :(

Figures like Jack Sparrow, Supes, and upcoming high-profile licensed WILL be around $200.00 or more...

Back