Are prices getting out of control?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only real way to deal with high prices is to buy less. Over the past 2 years I can honestly say i've bought about half of what I used to buy yearly. I'm missing nothing. I just buy what I really must have now.

I collect many lines (star wars,gijoe,mcfarlane,SS, 1/6th, 3 3/4...the last year for sure has seen many of these prices skyrocketing, my question, how much higher can some of these prices go before you quit buying?
Im almost at that point with Star wars hasbro stuf (8 bucks a fig is a joke), and the SS 1/6th figs now seeming to START at 79.99 no matter who it is is making me question my purchases way more than i used to...

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Everything is going up these days, so you know production costs and shipping and materials are too. Hot Toys seems to be making a big leap into the extra expensive. But, they're also really knocking our socks off. It isn't cheap to produce that level of quality. So, I guess it comes down to how much you like the license. I'd cut back on the low end stuff to get the higher end, to make up for the difference in SSC figure costs, or Hot Toys (who may start making Star Wars soon if the theorists are right).

The only real way to deal with high prices is to buy less. Over the past 2 years I can honestly say i've bought about half of what I used to buy yearly. I'm missing nothing. I just buy what I really must have now.

I'd bet the stuff you buy stays displayed longer too, cause you're more selective and getting the better pieces.

I'd bet the stuff you buy stays displayed longer too, cause you're more selective and getting the better pieces.

Very true. Its been a while since I sold something big. My collection was bigger but there isn't a single piece that i'd consider selling right now or the last 12 months for that matter.

At this point the only thing that i'll move is something inferior to a newer/better identical item.

DX Indy has closed the door on me probably ever getting a HT figure again since anyone I would want (Jack Sparrow) will now be WAY out of my range. I am now buying a lot less and be very picky about what I get. Its kind of sad that I won't have the great variety of figures anymore but thats the way it goes now.

Very true. Its been a while since I sold something big. My collection was bigger but there isn't a single piece that i'd consider selling right now or the last 12 months for that matter.

At this point the only thing that i'll move is something inferior to a newer/better identical item.

This is about where I'm at too. Being really picky and choosy not only saves $$$ but also makes for really tight, well rounded collections.

Hot Toys and other companies have reeled us in like plastic crack addicts. Give us a sniff of quality and decent pricing (2008), slipping in the odd shill (1st run DX 02) 2009, and reeling us in with better offerings in 2010. We, the collector need more competition in the market (Enterbay is falling short with iffy completion dates and now demands for money up front, if what I've read is correct.)

Somebody come up with a cheaper drug.

Hot Toys and other companies have reeled us in like plastic crack addicts. Give us a sniff of quality and decent pricing (2008), slipping in the odd shill (1st run DX 02) 2009, and reeling us in with better offerings in 2010. We, the collector need more competition in the market (Enterbay is falling short with iffy completion dates and now demands for money up front, if what I've read is correct.)

Somebody come up with a cheaper drug.

At this point all drugs are cheaper than HT :lol

I agree with prices are insane today. Hot Toys better watch it though. Now that they've become "the holy grail" of collecting they are biting off more than they can chew and although design quality has improved in more and more instances build quality is slipping.

I'm in the same boat and I think this is how a lot of the collectors are approaching the hobby. It's a lot tougher on the wallet to be a completionist these days.

I think prices are high but there is still room for prices of movie and pop culture products to climb higher as shown by the success of the $300 Bruce Lee figures a few year ago. The high end, low production run figures can still command those numbers and probably even more.

I'm hoping the "mid tier" products have stabilized around $150. I think that is a comfortable price for most of us in this hobby.

I don't think a collapse of the aftermarket prices will force retail prices to fall. Most collectors don't have doubles of every $200 figure they own on the expectation that they can flip it for a profit. The only thing that will force prices down is competition. Now that Enterbay and Hot Toys have Bruce Lee licenses, it is much more affordable to get a Bruce Lee. Some smaller companies like Art Figures have head sculpts that rival Hot Toys quality.

I have resigned myself to not getting as many figures as before but I am glad that the engineering and design of the figures have gone up and sometimes it is worth the higher price.

I'm in the same boat and I think this is how a lot of the collectors are approaching the hobby. It's a lot tougher on the wallet to be a completionist these days.

I think prices are high but there is still room for prices of movie and pop culture products to climb higher as shown by the success of the $300 Bruce Lee figures a few year ago. The high end, low production run figures can still command those numbers and probably even more.

I'm hoping the "mid tier" products have stabilized around $150. I think that is a comfortable price for most of us in this hobby.

I don't think a collapse of the aftermarket prices will force retail prices to fall. Most collectors don't have doubles of every $200 figure they own on the expectation that they can flip it for a profit. The only thing that will force prices down is competition. Now that Enterbay and Hot Toys have Bruce Lee licenses, it is much more affordable to get a Bruce Lee. Some smaller companies like Art Figures have head sculpts that rival Hot Toys quality.

I have resigned myself to not getting as many figures as before but I am glad that the engineering and design of the figures have gone up and sometimes it is worth the higher price.

Intelligently said. You should post more. 11 post for a 2009 2-year member? tsk tsk

Intelligently said. You should post more. 11 post for a 2009 2-year member? tsk tsk

Thanks. Like everyone else I've been wrestling with the rising cost of the hobby and I've been pondering this for a while. Since this thread started in 2009, it isn't a new problem and it is far from being over.

I'll try to give back a bit more to community with more posts.
Give me another two years to find something useful to contribute. :)

I'm actually finding it a bit more affordable now due to the balance between the US and canadian dollar. When I started I paid an average of 40% more per figure I bought, not just on the figure, but the shipping, and when i was taxed crossing the border, it was taxed at the value after exchange. Those same rules apply now, but I pay close to what everyone who lives in the US does for a figure. I agree some prices are still to high for the value of the product, and I think ebay actually hurts us more than helps as well.
To many people sell there older figures below cost so they don't retain their value. For me, this is killer, because some of those I paid 40% more to start with. My Boush Leia cost me over 120$ with shipping, and taxes, i'd never get that now, but I liked the sculpt so I bought it.

Does a bear dump in the woods?

We (collectors) will continue to collect and pay for items that we absolutely, positively, & undeniably need/want to acquire as long as we're able to do so financially.

:lol

I do a lot of customizing/kitbashing now. To get figures from movies that I want...and to avoid paying the huge prices now.

To think, there was a time I thought 40 bucks for a doll was a lot.

Heh, I wish that were always the case. I'm pretty sure my current project has gone over $250 by now, but thats probably due to it being my first bash/custom, with a lot of trial and error a long the way. And my OCD never letting me be done with it :slap

Back