Are prices getting out of control?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ortiz344

Super Freak
Reaction score
I collect many lines (star wars,gijoe,mcfarlane,SS, 1/6th, 3 3/4...the last year for sure has seen many of these prices skyrocketing, my question, how much higher can some of these prices go before you quit buying?
Im almost at that point with Star wars hasbro stuf (8 bucks a fig is a joke), and the SS 1/6th figs now seeming to START at 79.99 no matter who it is is making me question my purchases way more than i used to...

I think prices are too high. I can't see paying over $100 for a figure. The price alone is what has kept me from purchasing a SS Snake Eyes or Cobra Commander. If they were $20-25 cheaper I might consider it a bit more.

When I went to Target yesterday I was astonished at the prices for hasbro figures! That is ridiculous! :google

I've been complaining about price increases a LONG time. Strictly speaking about SSC SW, I complained hardest with the price increase for the Endor guys. I rolled over and stayed a completist for a long time, but eventually I just couldn't justify some of the prices and I believe Aayla was the first figure I passed on. Since her I have passed on Aayla, Ki Adi, Rebel Fleet, Stormtrooper, Captain Antilles(alderoon?) FU Trooper, Sandtrooper, AOTC Obiwan, the second Imperial Officer. Thats more than half of the most recent figures! Price is the pretty much to only factor in me not getting them. I just can't afford it anymore except on rare occassions.

I think its a hard balance these days... the prices are definitely increasing faster than just economic factors, but at the same time the quality is vastly improved.

For instance a $50 Sideshow figure form 5 years ago (Like the BPOTA Taylor) looks like its worth about a 1/3 of the price compared to the new HT Godfather figure. So for me, while I hate dropping 3x-4x as much money for a figure... I feel some comfort in seeing how much better the end product is.

For Sideshow figures, I think they are finally reaching a point where the quality is about in line with the price increases... but still not **quite** there.

I enjoy the quality increases, but at a certain point I just can't justify the price no matter how good the quality is because for me there is a ceiling to the pleasure or entertainment value of what ANY individual toy can provide.

That is true... I think each of us has a limit. I know for myself I've found myself selling off other figures that I'm no longer interested in to help with buying the new ones.

This month is particularly rough with a lot of HT stuff showing up all at once :google

sometimes i think they are rising too fast, but then a piece will come out like the Species Sil maquette which is beautifully sculpted with clear overlays and one of the best factory paint-ups ever at only $249.

I truly do not believe they are just randomly giving themselves a raise with every price increase. They may be just as frustrated with price increases with their suppliers, factories, marketing etc as the collectors are with them.

Just yesterday I was thinking about this. Ever since I saw the pictures of the "monster" Mickey Mouse that Sideshow will have at SDCC I said to myself I HAVE to have one. It looks awesome!!!

But then I receive the newsletter and it says it will be $149. WHAT!!!!

Sadly I will pass, it is not only a matter of being able to afford it or not. It is principle I guess, I can't see myself paying that much for a vinyl figure. Are you guys serious?

Luis

I enjoy the quality increases, but at a certain point I just can't justify the price no matter how good the quality is because for me there is a ceiling to the pleasure or entertainment value of what ANY individual toy can provide.
Here here.
Hot toys (for ex)stuff is real nice, but to me 130+ for a 1/6th plastic fig is just way too much for what i use it for (display on a shelf). The SS 1/6th line are creeping waay too close to those hot toy prices too.

Crud, SW were 40 a piece, then 50...60...79...prices went up so fast i didnt even notice how much i was blowing, and that may be a problem for them, i now noticed and have adjusted what i will blindly shell out money for, and 90- figs like the german indy just wont cut it...

and dont get me started on the 3 3/4 figs being 7-8 bucks...have you seen those cruddy terminator toys, those TINY marvel/wolverine figs...and they are charging 8 bucks for THAT?
5- is too much, 8 is ridiculous...

Just yesterday I was thinking about this. Ever since I saw the pictures of the "monster" Mickey Mouse that Sideshow will have at SDCC I said to myself I HAVE to have one. It looks awesome!!!

But then I receive the newsletter and it says it will be $149. WHAT!!!!

Sadly I will pass, it is not only a matter of being able to afford it or not. It is principle I guess, I can't see myself paying that much for a vinyl figure. Are you guys serious?

Luis

yeah, but you can blame that on Disney.
Just that logo = 30% price increase it seems.

SS doesnt set pricing for figures they only distribute. Wel I guess they do, but Im sure theyre just trying to maintain a profitable margin thats based against the MSRP which is predetermined not by them.

It definitely does lead to being more selective... German Indy, Belloq and even Toht have gotten the axe as I don't think the cost is justified for what you get. I still plan on eventually getting Toht, but will wait and get one of the secondary market to save a few bucks.

It definitely does lead to being more selective... German Indy, Belloq and even Toht have gotten the axe as I don't think the cost is justified for what you get. I still plan on eventually getting Toht, but will wait and get one of the secondary market to save a few bucks.

For non exclusive versions, always go secondary market, prob save 20% min right off the bat.

I know petroleum based products are perpetuating pricing but please ;)

Fans being more selective will also lead to them taking less chances on non main characters since they may not sell...which may not really be a bad thing at this point, and it may force them to give us the more popular figs now rather than later ...

supply and demand, supply and demand.

It probably doesn't help to keep prices down when sideshow sees some pieces on Ebay selling for hundreds or thousands of dollars, 5-10X original retail.

my problem is if something cost over 100 I dont want to touch him. If something breaks I would be furious. I bought snake-eyes because he was my favorite joe growing up (low-light a close second) but he has come out of the box all of 3 times since I bought him. I really want a predator but I am scared that if you build them, I can break it.

Prices are rising pretty fast, and yeah, it's probably faster than the market can bear (lots of sideshow products remaining in stock on the site after launch, etc..), but that doesn't help anyone posting in this thread at the moment.

The best thing to do during a time like this is simply limit your purchases, and wait for sales. I try to keep a reasonably well updated list of sales I see over at ~my blog~ because let's face it, as a hobby, this is super expensive and I couldn't justify paying as much as I was.

The fact is most of our stuff is made in Asia.
Wages and prices have gone up there as they become more prosperous, so prices have to go up here too. Shipping also costs more now because fuel has gone up in the last five years too.
If we all stop buying the products maybe the prices will be looked at, but look at the facts, look how fast the Comic Con Han and Luke sold out. I think what you will find is that prices won't come down, but you will get safer options in the choice of characters that are made. If you ask me, this seems to be happening already.
Also Sideshow and Hot Toys are not in a competitive market so I don't think you're going to see a price war. The best news for us all is if a new company comes in and starts to undersell the big four with quality products. Don't hold your breath

Being selective is the only answer really, you have to be based on price alone. I remember way back in the day when HT's released Robocop (V1) it retailed for $129.99 .............. if it were today it'd be around $160-$170.

Not too bad of a hike in price but understandable. My problem (with sudden inflation) is with the more "Basic Body" figures. For example I bought my M65 Rambo for $85 brand new and the same "type" figure is easily around $129-$139 today.

Other than added accessories I don't see how a basic figure can go from $85-$130 in a year. Then you have the Rocky III figure with decent accessories, amazing sculpt and rubber body, yet its only $99. So yes there is an inflation in price but also an added "selective" inflation too. TDK was a prime example.

Be very selective and you'll be fine. You will find yourself buying maybe 1 or 2 pieces every 2 months. My primary collectible is anything Terminator (1&2) after that I really don't care much anymore.

I stopped collecting 12 inch figures since the prices are getting more in the PF range, not only is the price increase a problem theres just so much good stuff out there. Most of the 12 inch lines get canceled anyway. A piece has to be a jaw dropper for me to buy it now.

Back