Are Hot Toys figures losing thier value on the secondary market?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember to account for your utility value. Let's say you sold your Hot Toys Berserker predator. You paid $220 for it in 2011. Now you sell it and only got $130 for it. Awe man, you lost $90!!! Or did you.....You had a figure which you enjoyed and displayed for 7 years and got back 60% of what you paid for it. Not such a bad deal when you look at it like that.

Ofcourse perfect world we would like the above mentioned scenario to play out where we sell it for $220 or maybe even $300 after our utility of having it for 7 years but I think that is a rare case that shouldn't be expected as the standard.

Bottom line is you didn't lose my friend.

That doesn't make sense to me, if you believe that do you own any property, cars, or jewelry (gold) you want to sell for less then you paid for it?

YES YES the answer is YES- except for the diecast IMs and a few newer Marvel characters like Cap and company- eventually the prices will drop on these once the newer and latest thing comes out- the point is in the long run very few will retain high secondary market value- very few

Depend. DX11 Joker is crazy on the secondary market, so does DX13 BD

Some Marvel and Ironman are lose value

Yep but prices on these have also lowered lately- DX11 used to SELL for $600 plus but not much anymore- remember some keep asking high prices but they don't sell

To answer the original question, I certainly hope so, that way I might be able to carry on collecting, there're not investments and the more people that treat them like that and get stung on the resale value the better maybe then they will go of and scalp some other hobby hoping to make a fast buck

That doesn't make sense to me, if you believe that do you own any property, cars, or jewelry (gold) you want to sell for less then you paid for it?

Everyone knows a car's value plummets the minute you drive it off the lot.

Hot Toys are not cars or jewelry. They're toys. If you've opened it and displayed it for years, then yes, it's not worth what you paid for it cause it's used. Unless it's super rare and in demand I would expect to take a loss selling used toys.

Everyone knows a car's value plummets the minute you drive it off the lot.

Hot Toys are not cars or jewelry. They're toys. If you've opened it and displayed it for years, then yes, it's not worth what you paid for it cause it's used. Unless it's super rare and in demand I would expect to take a loss selling used toys.

Not if you buy the right car, but cars are not a good example anyway. They depreciate due to other factors. A "used" car and a "used" hot toy is not a fair comparison. The HT does not wear out parts or get damage from the elements. Properly displayed, a HT should remain as new for many years.

These things are not just regular throwaway toys and shouldn't be considered such. They may not increase in value much anymore, but you want them to retain most of their value over the years.

Not if you buy the right car, but cars are not a good example anyway. They depreciate due to other factors. A "used" car and a "used" hot toy is not a fair comparison. The HT does not wear out parts or get damage from the elements. Properly displayed, a HT should remain as new for many years.

These things are not just regular throwaway toys and shouldn't be considered such. They may not increase in value much anymore, but you want them to retain most of their value over the years.

the keyword their is SHOULD.
but they dont....
leather jackets peeling, rubber deterioration...in less that a year even.

ed209 sold for $200 is a reality.

Hot Toys retail price has inflated to way higher than it's actual worth. the fact they keep releasing new versions of same characters means older versions are less desirable, and with the high price people rather spend the same amount of money on the updated versions or other stuffs.

With 3rd parties stepping up the game it really takes away potential sales from Hot Toys.

and as Hot Toys cost goes up, sales drop, means Hot Toys will have to keep increasing their product prices, resulting in more drop in sales & increase in price until one day Hot Toys finally decides to call it a day because their business no longer sustainable. unless they can come up with something innovative, Hot Toys gonna end up like McFarlane.

Value is not determined by initial price...

Its always the same formula.

Value= market demand + scarcity

Hot Toys value retention is based on how many versions of the character exist, is it a desired version, and will there be more made?

The most expensive HT are ones that the character is unlikely to be remade, in a better version.

A great example of this was Jack Sparrow.

One of the more sought after older DX, commanded a price of 400-600 on secondary markets. Went as high as 1000 at one point. They releases a new version, which was very well done, and the secondary market for the older DX dropped to retail levels.

And in that situation HT knew exactly what they were doing.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Hot Toys value retention is based on how many versions of the character exist, is it a desired version, and will there be more made?

The most expensive HT are ones that the character is unlikely to be remade, in a better version.

One of the more sought after older DX, commanded a price of 400-600 on secondary markets. Went as high as 1000 at one point. They releases a new version, which was very well done, and the secondary market for the older DX dropped to retail levels.

Initial Price is the starting point where it's value rise or drop.

or do you expect a low quality Hot Toys 1/6 retail at $200 to have a market price of $10 because it's that bad? doesn't work that way. same as your salary.

Don't talk bad about the DX Jack Sparrow, I have that figure. :)

All I know is the prices are getting ridiculous to buy them new. I mean the new Doctor Strange figure is $400 in Australia. $400 bucks for regular sized 1/6 figure is ridiculous! I can see why secondary prices are falling because people just can't fork out the price these are selling for ar retail to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Initial Price is the starting point where it's value rise or drop.

or do you expect a low quality Hot Toys 1/6 retail at $200 to have a market price of $10 because it's that bad? doesn't work that way. same as your salary.

Nope....

A cars initial value has nothing to do with its value in 10 years. Condition, scarcity and demand.

Even a Ferrari, after 10 years, in poor condition , demands a lower price than a BMW in perfect shape after 10 years.

The initial offering of Kenner figures created a scarcity which drove and artificial demand. The figure initially worth 1.19 commanded prices anywhere from 10.00 to 400.00.

Its entirely possible, although unlikely, thats HT could be worth nothing in 10 years. The early figures , which have built in scarcity due to their low production numbers, will likely hold value. These later figures have had much higher production runs, and collectors whom will keep boxes and store them well, will not experience that scarcity.

If HT were to do a second run on every popular secondary market figure....the bottom would literally drop out and the figures would be worth nothing in 10 years.

Nope....

A cars initial value has nothing to do with its value in 10 years. Condition, scarcity and demand.

Even a Ferrari, after 10 years, in poor condition , demands a lower price than a BMW in perfect shape after 10 years.

The initial offering of Kenner figures created a scarcity which drove and artificial demand. The figure initially worth 1.19 commanded prices anywhere from 10.00 to 400.00.

Its entirely possible, although unlikely, thats HT could be worth nothing in 10 years. The early figures , which have built in scarcity due to their low production numbers, will likely hold value. These later figures have had much higher production runs, and collectors whom will keep boxes and store them well, will not experience that scarcity.

If HT were to do a second run on every popular secondary market figure....the bottom would literally drop out and the figures would be worth nothing in 10 years.

you're talking about taking a time machine and fast forward 10 years instead of looking it at a progressive manner.

value uses it's initial worth (retail price) as the starting point and starts to rise & fall accordingly. unless something catastrophic happened like one guy decides to seek & destroy all 100000 Honda Civics in the world and now there's only 10 left. but such thing don't happen overnight just like how value won't change much in short time unless it's something volatile like shares.

but then again you're talking about limited edition Hot Toys which maybe only 10 in the world so i guess like Adidas Yeezy the price will shoot up the moment it's launched. but then i ask, would the value be x2 or x3 the retail price? it's still determined based on the initial launch price.

you don't expect a $50 Hot Toys limited edition to turn $500 overnight. folks will be offering their cash progressively something like auction and you see the rise in it's value, but still the reference point is $50.

The secondary market has been ****ed for years now, I can't sell my Deadpool for £180.

I would agree the secondary market is weak. Yes there are some figures which seem to have exorbitant prices such as the Hulkbuster and Iron Men Marks 46 and 47 but these seem very momentary and I do not think people are actually paying the asking prices, especially when reasonable sellers pop up now and then to offer these figures closer to retail price. I wonder how much the 46 and 47 will deflate when they announce a 1/4 version or Avengers Infinity War no longer becomes the hot topic?

Hot Toys has become such a big company now that there seems to no longer be a reserve list (like in Magic the Gathering there is a list that the company discloses to let consumers know which cards will never be reprinted) because they can manufacture easily now. The risk of constant re-releases or similar releases as well as the initial retail price being so high now probably contributes to the weaker secondary market.

These are toys. Some rare items that are not updated by Hot Toys may be able to gain in value yes.

We collect toys, if one day you decide to sell your collection, it's obvious that you will lose money.

That's why when I have no more space in my room, I just put away some figurines that I don't want to expose anymore.

I prefer to know them safe in their box or in a box at home, rather than sells them for 100 or 110 € whereas when I had bought they were worth 230/250 €. It's only in movies where they mock this kind of passion they show people who win crazy sums by selling their collection of figurines.

Especially since selling is complicated if you are not used to this kind of approach. Especially since there are a lot of scammers on the websites of sales and dishonest people.

Collect, be happy and buy what you want, don't think about selling or value unless you have no choice. At worst, put your figurines in a dust-proof cupboard, and everything will be fine.

Back