Are Hot Toys figures losing thier value on the secondary market?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not all of them, but some definitely are a ***** to unload. I'm practically giving some away on ebay. I kinda lost a little bit of interest.

Buy what I like, instead of buy of what I think will retain value is my motto. I don't buy duplicates of the same character either. I do notice the value of some HT figures are going down on eBay. I think the increased price in HT figures has started wearing people down. Besides the preorder I placed last year, I haven't wanted to order or buy anything from HT Civil War line. Wonder Woman is the only new figure that I want from HT.

First don't think of these are an investment. Second, like any hobby, fad or trend there is going to be a bubble, and we are probably right in the middle of it. We have seen that happen time and time again, so should not come as a surprise. Third, prices are rising and figures are being overproduced, reissued, or a new version is coming out with each movie release. Fourth, after ebay and paypal take their cut, most buyers are likely going to lose money vs. retail. Sure there are still some figures that are maintaining value or are still up there due to relatively smaller runs compared to the number of collectors that have since come into the market, but these are primarily pieces like Rocky, Hellboy and Ghost Rider that don't have new and improved reissues. But it seems HT is making enough figures to satisfy current demand and maximize their profits, which means the secondary is going to be pretty flat unless a wave of new buyers come into the market.

My stock broker rang this morning to tell me that those 67,000 Han & Chewie sets i got stuffed in the shed might not have been a smart move.................................

I'm too upset to talk right now.

The only reason I have been thinking of letting some of my figures go is because I've lost interest in the line, and I could also use the money to buy other figures.

Two figures that have been re-released...

Those two particular characters in that incarnation were not re-released. Did we get other releases of those characters? Of course. If you got into this thinking this would be a one and done, you're not reading the tea leaves very well.

Buy/pre-order what you like and don't concern yourself with the secondary market cause you will only own what you really want to keep.

Yeah but you can still get those characters on re-release which are pretty darn close to their original look. Saying "you never know when a release will be an Avengers Hawkeye or Nick Fury" makes it sound like once they're gone, they're gone for good and they go for triple, quadruple value which they do not. I guess if you really must have that original look, you'll have to fork over a little extra cash (they're still only what maybe 25% over their original value? not a deal breaker). But real Hot Toys grail figures haven't existed for awhile. i.e. Leonidas? Blade? Edward? And even those didn't sell out right away that I can recall. Star Wars started to approach that echelon until Hot Toys quashed that.

Point is, there's really no need to pre-order anymore, if it makes you sleep better at night to do so and possibly pay a NRD, knock yourself out but it's pretty pointless (unfortunately...I kinda miss those days tbh).

i dunno. i haven't seen anything even staying on the same price level speaking about my collections. in fact they all just grow. i hear about prices dropping for the first time. didn't know it's possible.

Who cares about valubility? I collect these because they are cool.

The most I could ever hope from this hobby is to get back the amount of money I paid for these if/when I decide to sell some or all of my stuff.

I've been burned on a few things, mostly selling customs for lesser amounts when a mass production version comes out but because I've also made a lot of money on stuff like iron mans Iron mans I don't want anymore it evens out more or less.

Buy stocks, property, or any other means to get back what you invested.

Dolls ARE NOT investments. No matter how you see it or what anyone says.

:exactly:
Yup. Pretty much all the figures I've purchased have been well under their current value. Sometimes saving me as much as fifty or a hundred in cash. There's really no reason to buy new anymore unless you're afraid it will sell out.

:goodpost:

Point is, there's really no need to pre-order anymore, if it makes you sleep better at night to do so and possibly pay a NRD, knock yourself out but it's pretty pointless (unfortunately...I kinda miss those days tbh).
Exactly. There is no need to pre-order anymore. Hot Toys figures nowadays are not produced with limited quantity like they used to.

2 recent figures I sold:

Hot Toys Guardian Predator £142
Hot Toys Alice (Resident Evil: Afterlife) £110

Both made loses on what I paid, but they are used I guess.
Still a rare fig like Blade or Bane you can probably double or treble your money if you bought it RRP

I have not PO'd a HT fig in years, no point.

Exactly. There is no need to pre-order anymore. Hot Toys figures nowadays are not produced with limited quantity like they used to.
After seeing the re issues on Han Chewie and the seemly never ending run of Kylo..... I have stopped pre ordering.....

Makes me wonder if I should still order figures when they're offered, or just wait a year or so and try picking them up then. As for the figure I've got, I'd like to break even at least not lose money if I put them up for sale.
I wait for almost every one now. Give me some time to think about if it will be something I really want in my collection or not, also gives me some time to see what the short comings of the figure are.

I will sell a figure now and then, and mostly I am happy if I can recoup my initial price paid, mainly because then I can buy a newer figure I like more.

Probably depends a bit more on where you live as well. I find a lot of local people still sell their figures for high prices on the secondary market, sometimes even more than you can still find them for sale on online stores.

I've only preordered Leia and Boba Fett recently, but used reward points, so they're a bit cheaper.

Back