Aragorn 12" velcro closing thingies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbidaj

Super Freak
Reaction score
I guess I have been spoiled with the Star Wars packaging magnets, but the new LOTR velcro circles dont work very well. I have been a Sideshow collector for a few years now, and when facing the boxes forward (so the flap can just open) sometimes after time, Ill find that the flap is open, and the velcro piece has come off and is attached to its opposite side on the inside flap.

This new Aragorn box seems like the flaps are quite heavy, and dont want to stay closed by default. I had my box set up facing forward and within a few hours all of the velcro circles had become unstuck.

I think there are 5 or 6 points of closure.

I guess it would be nice to have some magnets in the LOTR series of boxes as well.. or maybe something more "middle earthish" like string that ties the window flaps closed.. I dunno.

i am also dissapointed with the LOTR box. i knew they would be different from the SW boxes, but the velcro seems a little cheap. i like the box design but the magnest would be muc nicer to have... lets hope that Legolas has them instead of the velcro.

the velcro on my Jason Final chapter came off when I opened it and now the flap is always open. :monkey4 I prefer magents.

Magnets would have been much better... also the flaps, while cool looking don't line-up perfectly on mine, so its a little tricky to get it to close flat. Not sure yet, but pretty sure I'll be tossing this box.

Have to agree, magnets are much better!!! Almost all of my old SS boxes have had the velcro come of.

I am VERY impressed with the LOTR box, the artwork is amazing, as is the way it closes. Magnets would have been cool; though the "tie" idea sounds really great. :cool:

I would have liked it if they had a slip cover like a leatherbound book or something to tie into the original novels. As is it is very nice packaging, but its pretty f'n huge.

galactiboy said:
I would have liked it if they had a slip cover like a leatherbound book or something to tie into the original novels.

That would have been perfect. You should call SS right now and have them get on it!!!!

I think I put in a recommendation for that somewhere, but I'll get right on it :lol

I thought it would have been cool to have something like the Robotech Masterpiece figures:

popup_mpc04.jpg

The front flap opened, and inside was a tray holding the figure and all the accessories... very classy looking. I'm sure Sideshow could have made something very cool like this... maybe having each figure be an appendix or something.

RoboDad said:
Excuse me, but wouldn't that be a matter of personal preference?

Well of course, but if Sideshow had intended that these figures not be opened, than we wouldn't be able to. The packaging is fabulous, but you didn't buy the figure for the packaging. You bought the figure for the figure and its accessories, which can only be fully enjoyed if opened. There is nothing wrong with MIB collecting, but it just doesn't make sense to me to buy the figure to look at it in the package. You might as well just print a picture of the figure and its package and save the $$.

To each his own right? I'm sorry if I offened you RoboDad. I didn't mean to.

if packaging wasnt important and everyone opened their figures, the figures would come in a paper bag with "sideshow - lotr aragorn" on a white sticker, that is stuck on crooked.

Sadly, if that were cheaper I'd probably go that route. With really nice packaging I feel guilty tossing it. If it were just plastic trays and a plain box I wouldn't feel bad at all.

galactiboy said:
Sadly, if that were cheaper I'd probably go that route. With really nice packaging I feel guilty tossing it. If it were just plastic trays and a plain box I wouldn't feel bad at all.

I'm with you. I'd be happy if sideshow would rip it out of the box, wrap it in bubblewrap with the accessories and just mail it to me. I do store the boxes at the moment but the time is going to come soon when I have to get rid of them - I have about 50 SSC 12" figure boxes under the stairs and its only going to get worse.

i agree that magnets woulda been much better. every one of the boxes that have velcro, including the newer ones, have come loose and were attached to the wrong side. what i did on a couple of them was to use super glue to attach the velcro back in the right place on the box. this worked well since the reason the velcro pulls off in the first place is the not-too-sticky adhesive on the backs of them.

Buttmunch said:
To each his own right? I'm sorry if I offened you RoboDad. I didn't mean to.
No offense taken. Everyone collects for their own reasons, and that was all I was trying to say to denger4000. Besides, with packaging this elaborate and well done, it's hard to put it away, even when you do open them all up. I've noticed a few people have taken to displaying their SW boxes along with their figures, and the LOTR boxes are no less amazing. Considering how much of a premium we pay for them (these boxes aren't exactly as cheap as a basic Hasbro blister pack ;)), I can understand doing that. But as you say, to each his own.

LordAzrael said:
I do store the boxes at the moment but the time is going to come soon when I have to get rid of them - I have about 50 SSC 12" figure boxes under the stairs and its only going to get worse.
You think that's bad? Try storing 100+ SSW boxes from the LOTR statue and bust lines (many of which are 5-6 times as large as any of the 12" figure boxes), AND 25+ 12" figure boxes, AND 7 PF boxes. Sometimes I think I'm lucky my wife hasn't given me the "it's them or me" ultimatum. :D

See that's what I'm starting to get worried about. Non-exclusive items I don't feel bad throwing out the box... but now that I'm buying a lot of SW figures direct for the exclusives I'm starting to amass a lot of boxes already... I figure by the time I get all the ones I hope the make (around 50) I'll have a huge stash of boxes just eating up space :confused:

I'm seriously considering just keeping the first package that each series starts with, ie: Luke for Jedi, Vaderkin for Sith, Han for Heroes, etc and just scrapping the rest or giving them to needy collectors.

Back