Anyone keep their 1/6th Joes unopened ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Its called the SSC warehouse and other retailers (except gohastings, they like to open their product).

Open those badboys up.

When I first got into 1/6 from polystone, I received two Star Wars figures that I opened up. I ordered all the EX 1/6 LOTR figures (with the exception of Frodo and Sam), as LOTR primarily got me into high end collectibles. They all remained unopened until I got Sideshow's first EX release, Snake Eyes. That promptly got me to open up Aragorn, Legolas, Boromir, Faramir, and Gandalf on the same night I opened Snake Eyes. I've moved from primarily polystone to primarily 1/6, and all the figures I order get opened.

^^^

Yah I'm up to 13 Joes now and I've got them all still unopened. I did get an extra Viper that I opened and it's badass. I don't know. I've kinda always been a MOC collector. Although I'm heavily debating on opening my Joes.

The only thing I remotely regret about opening the items is how they collect dust. Like a sonofa_____.

But if I didn't open them up, I would see no point in buying them at all. You wanna collect boxes or toys?

I hope you at least open them up enough to take advantage of the 30 day return should they have a defect of some sort.

That's like opening a sealed vinyl record to make sure its not scratched. If its not sealed anymore the point of keeping it sealed in the first place is moot. :lol

Not that I understand keeping it sealed.

^^^

Yah I'm up to 13 Joes now and I've got them all still unopened. I did get an extra Viper that I opened and it's badass. I don't know. I've kinda always been a MOC collector. Although I'm heavily debating on opening my Joes.

I hope you at least open them up enough to take advantage of the 30 day return should they have a defect of some sort.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly: Ignore Prog's post. He'd argue that a ____ed up figure in a still sealed packag is MIB. :lol

In all seriousness though, if not to at the very lease ensure your figures are unbroken and complete without paint rubs, huge amounts of paint slop, etc., you should open them up. I've never had a problem selling figures at the same price as NIB or MISB after stating that figures were opened to inspect for damage or missing items and when found to be mint and complete, replaced back in the packaging.

Last edited:
Many companies are using packaging that is very friendly to opening and repackaging an item. It takes a lot less effort to keep a box in nearly perfect condition after opening now with the factt hat so many companies are largely forgoing the use of tape and twist ties in the packaging.

MIMB is a much smaller step from MISB than it used to be.

And to be honest...many figures that I do not want to display at the time I get them can benefit from being re-boxed anyway. Futzing the gear a little and making sure the face is tilted correctly makes a difference even in a figure kept in the box when it is occasionally admired.

I actually still have ever one still sealed but only because I finally have some time to complete my toy room. They will be free from their package shortly.

Why even buy them if your keeping them in a box?

I actually still have ever one still sealed but only because I finally have some time to complete my toy room. They will be free from their package shortly.

Why even buy them if your keeping them in a box?

Preservation for prosperity, of course.

Keeping them unopened because I think they'll be worth more really has nothing to do with it. I just kind of like having them in their pristine condition. A bit of of a complex I have I suppose.

Inspecting them for defects is a good reason to open them I agree.

Sounds like you are where I was not long ago. There's some great points in this post as well. At the very least I'd open to check for defects. The first four in my collection where sealed up and unopened (I'm a MOC collector as well). There's a very narrow margin (if any) in selling an unopened SS and one that was only inspected for quality issues.
I personally came to the conclusion to open a few up as of late and have no regrets. The SS packaging allows for easy removal and repackaging. I even realized that 1 of my purchases from a secondary seller had been removed and likely displayed (the tabs on the box where slightly torn).
I also realized why I had been purchasing them in the first place, my love of the Joe. I guess I can justify their purchase because they hold their value, and I can also justify opening them for display because for now, they are for me to enjoy. I have the added benifit of a dust free environment, a room in the back of the house dedicated to the storage of my Joe's. Very few people visit and no pets allowed, so dust has never been an issue.
I still have an unopened Ex Stalker as well as the black Cobra Sniper. It's a good compromise, I get the satisfaction of having a few unopened lying around. Their day will come soon enough though.:wink1:

I just can't understand the value of the item in its box.

I can understand the RESALE value of a MIB item, but I don't really understand why someone would want to own a boxed 1/6th scale toy.

You're not enjoying the craftmenship of the item. The playability, the poseability. The box could practically be empty for all the usefullness as an entertainment item it is providing to you.

If I had any hesitation of taking the item out of the box I would have been out of this hobby before I began. A lot more entertaining things to spend money on than an unopened toy. I'd no sooner own a boxed action figure or statue than I would an unopened flat screen tv, Dvd, or CD.

"Hey check out my Superbowl ticket"

"Sweet, was it a lot of fun?"

"I don't know, I didn't actually USE the ticket." :slap

I just can't understand the value of the item in its box.

I can understand the RESALE value of a MIB item, but I don't really understand why someone would want to own a boxed 1/6th scale toy.

You're not enjoying the craftmenship of the item. The playability, the poseability. The box could practically be empty for all the usefullness as an entertainment item it is providing to you.

If I had any hesitation of taking the item out of the box I would have been out of this hobby before I began. A lot more entertaining things to spend money on than an unopened toy. I'd no sooner own a boxed action figure or statue than I would an unopened flat screen tv, Dvd, or CD.

"Hey check out my Superbowl ticket"

"Sweet, was it a lot of fun?"

"I don't know, I didn't actually USE the ticket." :slap

That's a common misconception. MIB can also equal a displayed figure, in mint condition, put back in the box. It also means the box can be thrashed, so long as the figure's in mint. You're looking for MISB, NIB. Though the silly thing is, neither MISB or NIB guarantee a "mint" figure. :wink1:

My rule of thumb is if it cost me more than $100 it needs to be opened up or else I could have just withdrawn the cash and placed it on the shelf instead. Plus how do you know if there aren't any catastrophic flaws/defects in the 1:6 you got sent.

If I feel guilty about it afterwards I consider buying another for MIB purposes. The beauty of a low edition size is that you don't really lose much money at resale. Granted a MIB will fetch you more but that's also entirely dependent on the person who buys from you.

Look at Toy Anxiety for example....they can get their money back by parting out and then some. So it seems MIB isnt as important with higher end 1:6 collectibles as let's say MOC is for something that originally cost $7-$10.

At least that's my take on the whole issue.

Such a waste.

A vintage 60's Captain Action or a 1978 Darth Vader I can understand, but not a moderm mass produced toy.

Back