Anybody else feel like we are in a Depression?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until businesses (I'm talking big corporations too) stop thinking that taking 90 - 120+ days to pay their bills is "normal", things are going to get a lot worse.

Because of the current market conditions and policies being passed, I moved 75% of my 401k out of stocks/bonds and into cash reserves a couple months ago; wish I made that move sooner. I'm sure glad I did too, because the market has done nothing but drop since then. My money is safer is cash than in an unstable market right now.

When the Bush tax cuts on businesses don't get renewed, you can expect businesses (and yourself) to be hit further and deeper in the pocketbook. This will of course have a negative effect on the economy.
https://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/110005/how-the-expiring-bush-tax-cuts-affect-you?mod=taxes-advice_strategy

Also, when the death/estate tax doesn't get repealed in 2011, a lot of senior citizens will be much less likely to invest their money in the economy/market because any inheritance will forfeit ~50% to the government in taxes.
https://wills.about.com/od/understandingestatetaxes/a/futureoftax.htm

The instability of the euro doesn't help the international economy either.

The outlook is grim indeed. We can't bailout and spend ourselves out of this mess. It's going to require the government to tighten the purse strings and quit spending so much damn money on social/entitlement programs that we can't afford. The individual is going to have to practice the same restraint and quit taking out loans and buying things that they can't afford.

The outlook is grim indeed. We can't bailout and spend ourselves out of this mess. It's going to require the government to tighten the purse strings and quit spending so much damn money on social/entitlement programs that we can't afford. The individual is going to have to practice the same restraint and quit taking out loans and buying things that they can't afford.

I've been saying this since 1998 when all my friends were buying fancy new cars and getting credit cards with 0 credit. My credit stinks because I basically have none due to not financing anything since 2002, but I guess it could be a good thing to not owe anyone anything.

~~On topic. I finished grad school last August and have been searching for a decent job since. I turned down a job in Feb. because I had to drive 1.5 hours each way and they offered me a crap salary since I didn't have experience in the field yet. I have my fingers crossed that a recent federal job I applied for will work out for me as it will pay pretty good regardless of me driving 2 hours back and forth for it. The job market sucks everywhere, but you just have to hold your head up high and think positive.

Politics are not allowed here. :monkey1

Sorry Dad.

The only thing I brought into it are relevant issues that are directly tied to the worsening of our economy. I didn't put too much of a slant on it.

Read the links. They are from a neutral source. See what the economists are talking about.

The OP has not even mentioned the economy.

They are referring to a personal and family depression due to various problems, that does not involve Politics so please don't keep bringing them up.
Thanks
x :peace

Anyone else wondering where the good things are anymore?

Every major event this planet or our culture has recently gone through has been bad.

I frankly don't see it improving.

People are always wondering when I'm going to have kids. And I just tell them I don't feel like bringing anyone into this sorry pitiful and unstable world with a bunch of degenerates ruining it further.

I know people have said this through out the ages, but I personally think we're living at the end, which I have mixed feeling about based on my faith.

I don't mean to be a tough love but that is my personality, so here it goes. Life is just that, it's what you make it. Some things granted are out of control and we can't control people or the way people think, opinions, etc... but what you can control is yourself. Don't let negative energy bother you, don't let friends, family members steer you in the wrong direction if that ever happens.

The only way to change things going wrong with your life is within you, change your outlook on life and the rest will fall in place. Of course no one is here to hand a handout (and I'm not saying this is your case, just stating the real world) you have to take it, you have to want a better life.

I believe a lot of what is world today with people and depression is mostly mental. I've come from literally nothing during the youthful years of my life but I didn't let that cycle continue. I had goals and dreams to do better in my life... I wanted to first be a pro athlete (it didn't happen but I was very close and it lead doors open to many things), I wanted a successful career (hence the degrees going to colleges and universities), I wanted a smart/beautiful woman/wife to share my life with (I'm sure I couldn't attract the opposite sex without working on myself). My next major goal is to start a family...and become a father to my children that I never had whenever I was growing up with a single foreign to the country(U.S.) mother.

I had a lot obstacles in the way but I overcame them and one positive event lead to another and another and well... u get the picture. Today, I am lucky that I can afford material objects such as these toys, statues, memorabilia, etc... and maybe a future lil Ski can achieve goals beyond my capabilities without tie downs and helping family while trying to improve themselves at the same time at a young age.

For now, health, family and a stable career is all I really care about but it did not come easy.

To make everyone happy, here is a llama.

llama1.jpg
That is SO awesome; I feel so much better!!

Is its name Tina?

No. I don't.

I see good things all around me every day. My family, my girl, my friends (including those Freak friends I've met here), my job(s), my home and my town.

I'm very fortunate and grateful to have what I have. :)

:rock :rock :rock :rock :yess:

Oh... and llamas do make me laugh :lol

I don't mean to be a tough love but that is my personality, so here it goes. Life is just that, it's what you make it. Some things granted are out of control and we can't control people or the way people think, opinions, etc... but what you can control is yourself. Don't let negative energy bother you, don't let friends, family members steer you in the wrong direction if that ever happens.

The only way to change things going wrong with your life is within you, change your outlook on life and the rest will fall in place. Of course no one is here to hand a handout (and I'm not saying this is your case, just stating the real world) you have to take it, you have to want a better life.

I believe a lot of what is world today with people and depression is mostly mental. I've come from literally nothing during the youthful years of my life but I didn't let that cycle continue. I had goals and dreams to do better in my life... I wanted to first be a pro athlete (it didn't happen but I was very close and it lead doors open to many things), I wanted a successful career (hence the degrees going to colleges and universities), I wanted a smart/beautiful woman/wife to share my life with (I'm sure I couldn't attract the opposite sex without working on myself). My next major goal is to start a family...and become a father to my children that I never had whenever I was growing up with a single foreign to the country(U.S.) mother.

I had a lot obstacles in the way but I overcame them and one positive event lead to another and another and well... u get the picture. Today, I am lucky that I can afford material objects such as these toys, statues, memorabilia, etc... and maybe a future lil Ski can achieve goals beyond my capabilities without tie downs and helping family while trying to improve themselves at the same time at a young age.

For now, health, family and a stable career is all I really care about but it did not come easy.

******sauce******

The OP has not even mentioned the economy.

They are referring to a personal and family depression due to various problems, that does not involve Politics so please don't keep bringing them up.
Thanks

Anybody else feel like we are in a Depression?

He's referring to personal and family issuses??

That's a load of ____. By wording the title of the thread the way he did, there's no way to avoid talk of the economy and politics.

Sometimes Ski does some :goodpost: :clap
x :wave

No. I don't.

I see good things all around me every day. My family, my girl, my friends (including those Freak friends I've met here), my job(s), my home and my town.

Also :goodpost: :clap

When I grow up I want to be a positive thinker like you guys.

No. I don't.

I really am happy to hear it - ditto on "good posting".

I thank my lucky stars every day for my stable job, my husband's stable job and my excellent family & friends. I try not to take these things for granted and I really feel for people who are in worse situations than I (me? myself? - down with the fascist regime of proper grammar!).

Back