Any Straight Edgers?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Who

Super Freak
Reaction score
Seeing as beer has it's own thread (BadMoon's Beer Reviews) I thought it'd be nice and fair to see a thread for the good ol' Straight Edgers on this forum.

What are your reasons for being Straight Edge?

Mine's simple, my father, mother and cousin. My father abused both alcohol and drugs which sadly lead into him being aggressive and abusive towards my mother, sister and myself. It caused my mother to abuse alcohol aswell and I was very disappointed in my parents and was very sad to see they would seem to find "pleasure" in illicit substances and I grew apart from them. Then there's my cousin, who, to this day, is a heavy drug abuser. He is on everything, from weed to meth. Despite my numerous attempts to help him get rid of it, or at least get rid of the harddrugs, he is still on it and disappeared a while back into the drug "culture", hanging around alleys in Holland, sharing shots with the rest of those poor, sad people.

I personally enjoy life without getting drunk or high. I can enjoy a party just as much and I personally don't see the fun in getting so drunk to the point you risk your life, aswell as the hangover that follows.

To me, Straight Edge had a lot of good things, it brought me into liking the WWE (Thanks, CM Punk :monkey1), met my woman through it and just have a happy life. (Not saying users don't have a happy life, just stating my life is just as good.)

And please, don't come in here just to call Straight Edgers "pussies" or "idiots", I get that a lot and I respect people who use alcohol and drugs and tobacco as much as anyone else, so please respect us aswell.

On a side note, I don't do drugs, don't drink, don't smoke and don't do promiscuity. I don't listen to Straight Edge bands on a daily basis, but I do like to run around with some "drug free" shirts.

That indeed is a great song.

One of my favorites;

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqmy1z7sAdg[/ame]

I don't need to label myself as a straight edger. However, I don't drink, smoke or do any drugs. I don't do the promiscuity thing either. I wouldn't say my life is any better than people that do that kind of stuff, but I still choose not to.

Hey man, Im right there with ya. I dont smoke cigs or drink beer. Like you, my dad is an alcoholic and growing up around him and watching what he becomes and how he treated ppl when he would drink was a very depressing thing to see. It robbed me of much of my childhood and alot of father/son bonding time. We never became close. He would (still does im sure) go through about 2 cases of beer on a bad day, closer to 3, with some Old No.7 to finish it off on a good day. Growing up around that made me really stay away from any kind of booze. It got to a point where it was so bad, that we got into a dispute and I ended up leaving the house at 16. I then stayed with my Grandparents for a couple yrs, allowing to to finish high school and get my feet on the ground and learn how to be independent. I Cant thank them enough for helping me out through that tough time in my life. There is no telling where I would be without them right now. Im now out here in the real world and fully supporting myself. I got a good paying full time job which I love, I have my own place, my own car and I pay all my own bills. I like to think im pretty accomplished for only being 19. I love my dad, dont get me wrong, but hes something else when he drinks, something I hope Ill never be. Man, I feel alot better about getting that out there, Ive never really talked about that to anyone before. It feels nice to get that off my chest

I've been drinking since I was 17. Always thought I had started late. I'm not an alcoholic, but I do have an appreciation for introducing that element of chaos into my life every now and then.

I don't drink or enjoy drinking at least but i'll have some if i go out to a club or a pub, but generally i don't drink. Could be becuase i don't like the taste or because my Dad was an alcholic.

I don't Smoke either as my Lungs are a gift that i won't squander and don't see the appeal.

I don't do Drugs either, though i did try some space cakes and cocaine when i was younger.

So i guess i'm a straight edger :)

Hey man, Im right there with ya. I dont smoke cigs or drink beer. Like you, my dad is an alcoholic and growing up around him and watching what he becomes and how he treated ppl when he would drink was a very depressing thing to see. It robbed me of much of my childhood and alot of father/son bonding time. We never became close. He would (still does im sure) go through about 2 cases of beer on a bad day, closer to 3, with some Old No.5 to finish it off on a good day. Growing up around that made me really stay away from any kind of booze.

sounds like you and i had a very similar childhood

If that was a requirement of being "straight edge," then Punk would have to change his gimmick pretty quickly :lol

I think you're supposed to refrain from promiscuous sex if you're a straight edger. Oh well, Papa Shango wasn't a real Witch Doctor after all.

Order bores the living ____ out of me. You?

It's just too easy to keep up with sometimes.
Have you read the Invisibles?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/The-Invisibles-Vol-Want-Revolution/dp/1563892677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338954604&sr=8-1[/ame]

If not, you might enjoy it.

I think you're supposed to refrain from promiscuous sex if you're a straight edger. Oh well, Papa Shango wasn't a real Witch Doctor after all.

You're not "supposed to" per se, it's like how some choose not to take caffeine or prescription drugs. Some choose to be a vegetarian.

And Papa Shango was real to me. :mad:

Papa Shango had a memorable run-in with another Straight Edge legend here:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6YKICReUCY[/ame]

You're not "supposed to" per se, it's like how some choose not to take caffeine or prescription drugs. Some choose to be a vegetarian.

And Papa Shango was real to me. :mad:

Yeah, I only have a passing knowledge of the subculture. I thought it was one of their things, but I guess the big two are drugs and alcohol.

So when is the name of the thread getting changed to Christian Scientists? :huh

Honestly, "straight edge" is subjective. If you've ever had cold syrup or mouthwash, you've had alcohol. And if you take medication for ailments (including aspirin for pain), well, how straight-edge is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back