Another nominee for The Darwin Awards...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenammagazine

Super Freak
Reaction score
Police: Student killed by officers had pellet gun

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (AP) — An armed eighth-grader gunned down by police officers in the hallway of his Texas middle school Wednesday was brandishing a pellet gun that looked like a firearm, and he refused repeated orders to lower the weapon before the officers opened fire, police said.

The carbon-dioxide powered pellet gun 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez was holding looked like a handgun, and the initial report to police that sent officers rushing to Cummings Middle School Wednesday morning was for a student seen holding a gun, Orlando Rodriguez, Brownsville's interim police chief, said at a news conference.

Robert Valle, a 13-year-old who was among the school's 750 students locked down in their classrooms during the confrontation, said he heard police run down the hallway and yell "put the gun down," before several shots were fired.

"He had plenty of opportunities to lower the weapon ... and he didn't want to," Rodriguez said. Two officers fired three shots, striking Gonzalez at least twice, he said. The autopsy results are pending.

Rodriguez said that before the confrontation with police, Gonzalez walked into a Cummings Middle School classroom and punched another boy in the nose. He said he doesn't know why Gonzalez was brandishing the weapon.

Earlier Wednesday, before police said the weapon was actually a pellet gun, Jaime's godmother Norma Leticia Navarro told The Associated Press she couldn't imagine what led to the fatal confrontation.

"Jaime was not a bad kid, and I wish I could ask him why he did that, why did you put yourself in that position?"

Still, she said she understood that police were doing their job, but she expressed frustration that a child was killed and wondered if something else could have been done.

"I'm not saying he was perfect or an angel, but he was a very giving person."

She said both of his parents work, and that his stepmother raised him from infancy and was very strict with him.

As word of the shooting spread quickly through the city on Texas' southern tip, where violence frequently spills over from Mexico's drug war, frantic parents rushed to reach their children.

Those who got their early on were able to retrieve their frightened children, but some who arrived later found the street outside the school lined with squad cars and blocked off. About two hours after the shooting, dozens of frustrated parents and relatives flooded out of the park pavilion without their children after school officials announced that all remaining children had been bused to a high school and could be picked up there.

Julie Tomalenas waited for an hour to pick up her 13-year-old sister before being told of the relocation.

"It was very stressful not knowing if she was OK, where she was, when we could see her again," Tomalenas said.

The lockdown was lifted about two hours after the shooting, but the students and employees were relocated while officers investigated at the school, Brown said.
https://news.yahoo.com/police-student-killed-officers-had-pellet-gun-231453248.html

My neighborhood has a lot of little hellians running around. 2 of the little bad assess were awarded BB guns (I'm assuming for Christmas). They have been running around shooting all sorts of shat with them. The very second one is aimed at anything on my property I'm running out and taking both of them and instructing the maggots to have their father come if they want them back. I will then instruct their father to be a man and teach them to respect any weapon and the next time I'm calling the cops.

I'm not sure how I feel about this...

One one hand, the cops probably couldn't tell if the weapon was real, or not. So ya'know..protocol...but I still think they should've tried a non-lethal way to deal with this. Especially with a kid.

But then again, I wasn't there. He could've been threatening people with it. Too hard to tell.

One one hand, the cops probably couldn't tell if the weapon was real, or not. So ya'know..protocol...but I still think they should've tried a non-lethal way to deal with this. Especially with a kid.

But then again, I wasn't there. He could've been threatening people with it. Too hard to tell.

Those cops very well may have little ones of their own that are expecting them to come home.

A situation like this isn't like in the movies. You see a weapon pointed at you, you shoot to drop the target. Period. I certainly don't envy anyone that has to shoot a child. That would be a life changer and something that will likely bother these officers until they die.

Those cops very well may have little ones of their own that are expecting them to come home.

A situation like this isn't like in the movies. You see a weapon pointed at you, you shoot to drop the target. Period. I certainly don't envy anyone that has to shoot a child. That would be a life changer and something that will likely bother these officers until they die.

:goodpost:

That didn't take long.

ETA For those of you thinking "but it's only a pellet gun". A pellet gun can kill you. I know of at least 1 story where a kid was shot in the head with 1 and died. My wife works part time as a vet tech. They've had a dog in their unit for about 2 weeks now with 2 holes in its side from a pellet gun. Pellet guns are not to be taken lightly.

Last edited:
That didn't take long.

ETA For those of you thinking "but it's only a pellet gun". A pellet gun can kill you. I know of at least 1 story where a kid was shot in the head with 1 and died. My wife works part time as a vet tech. They've had a dog in their unit for about 2 weeks now with 2 holes in its side from a pellet gun. Pellet guns are not to be taken lightly.

Yep. One of my older cousins has had a glass eye since he was 15. He was walking home from school and another kid thought it would be funny to shoot him with his "harmless" BB gun. I couldn't imagine only having one eye, let alone the pain and headaches (literally) that it will cause him the rest of his life.

I know...I dunno why the kid thought nothing was going to happen if he went at cops with something like that :dunno

How many 15 year olds think rationally?

You do not use non-lethal force when being faced with what appears to be lethal force. It's called the Escalation of Force Principle that is taught in every police academy.

Someone aims a gun at you that looks real after being informed that you're law enforcement and ordered to put the gun down several times deserves to be shot dead regardless of what type of gun he's holding or what color the gun is. It's not like someone's gonna walk up and check. This is compounded by the fact that it was a school with students present. If they'd played coy and it'd turned out to be real and students died by that idiot's hand, or if they'd shot to maim and a bullet had gone stray and injured someone, public outcry would be much worse than a ____tard of a mother refusing to take responsibility for the failure of a child she produced. Even the deceased's grandmother understands why the end result happened.

Someone aims a gun at you that looks real after being informed that you're law enforcement and ordered to put the gun down several times deserves to be shot dead regardless of what type of gun he's holding or what color the gun is. It's not like someone's gonna walk up and check. This is compounded by the fact that it was a school with students present. If they'd played coy and it'd turned out to be real and students died by that idiot's hand, or if they'd shot to maim and a bullet had gone stray and injured someone, public outcry would be much worse than a ____tard of a mother refusing to take responsibility for the failure of a child she produced. Even the deceased's grandmother understands why the end result happened.

You're so sexy when you talk rational.:lol

Back