Amazing Spiderman 545 One More Day / Civil War Tie-In Discussion - SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not like Marvel hasn't tried that before....remember the Clone Saga? How at one time we were supposed to accept that Ben Reilly was the real Peter Parker and that everything that happened post 1973 or somewhere around that time was null and void? The editors quickly listened to fan outcry and switched things back, I'm sure that the same will occur here.

Its not like Marvel hasn't tried that before....remember the Clone Saga? How at one time we were supposed to accept that Ben Reilly was the real Peter Parker and that everything that happened post 1973 or somewhere around that time was null and void? The editors quickly listened to fan outcry and switched things back, I'm sure that the same will occur here.

I kind of think otherwise but it is certainly possible.

The Clone Saga came at a time during the 90's when comics were REALLY struggling again. Marvel was still working off their Chapter 11 (or whatever number) bankruptcy and paying off the bank to keep their doors open. I believe that they were so worried about losing money from readers that they turned it around quickly because they absolutely needed the money. Back then, X-Men and Spidey were Marvel's only bread & butter.

Comics are at a level of sales and popularity they've never seen before...especially Marvel. Also consider the movie revenues, licensing their characters out, etc. etc. and consider that a lot of other characters and comic books that WOULD NOT SELL during the 90's (i.e. Captain America, the Avengers, etc.) are selling like hot cakes and enjoying some monster popularity. Marvel can very well afford a big hit to the Spider-man comics and keep trucking, especially when they have the whole Ultimate line, the X-Men comics, Captain America, Mighty Avengers, New Avengers, Hulk, Iron Man, countless mini-series, crossovers, movies, toys, etc. to fall back on.

I'm not liking it any more than the next fan but I know that this "Brand New Day" thing is not going anywhere anytime soon. :monkey1

Comics are at a level of sales and popularity they've never seen before...especially Marvel.

Actually Comic Book sales are down compared to the boom in the early to mid 90's.:monkey3 Sales are better now than compared to say 5 years ago but in a day and age were comics get so much mainstream attention, it's sad that sales aren't higher. DC and Marvel both have really dropped the ball.

I find it hilarious cause about 7 years ago DC and Marvel both said at SDCC that they were going to get rid of the multi-part company crossovers so that they could attract new readers since the crossovers were sometimes too complicated and readers were complaining. Both companies have done the exact opposite. In fact over the last 2 years almost every issue of Marvel and DC has been connected to a major crossover. Crisis, WWH, Civil War, Avengers Disassemble, Annihilation, 52, House of M...take your pick. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

just finished the new story arc of Amazing Spider-Man... rubbish! it reads and feels like it was written for 8 year olds... it has basically become another Ultimate Spider-Man with an older Parker. Marvel has proven that there are no consequences... write oneself into a corner? erase continuity and start over! i am certain readers deserve an expect much more.

Hopefully the Mephisto deal will be changed and the whole idea of this will be like Dallas.

Civil War was awesome, and to have the unmasking removed this way is sad.

The first 3 issues of Brand New Day are BORING! :monkey4

Nothing unique or out-of-the-ordinary in them with the exception of Harry Osborn...all this stuff could've been done without the marriage being ruined.

But it does look like they're trying to build this "Carlie Cooper" or whateverhernameis as Peter's new interest perhaps.

Just got back to comics after about 10 years, quit Spiderman with the Clone/Scarlet Spider stuff. Civil War is what got me back, and She Hulk. Bought all the trades of CW and started buying Sensational Spiderman, really liked where this was going. And then this?! Especially after the in my opinion wonderful Sensational Spiderman Annual?
To quote: "Maybe the rest of the world thinks marriage is something to do between other marriages, but it means something to me. You're my partner and my husband and I love you. This is our life." After MJ refuses to turn her self in. I want to read a continuation of THIS, how would they cope. MJ is his saviour. I thought that May would finally die, that would be a much more interesting story, but then I guess Spidey would really have to grow up. I will read the first three issues then I'm dropping any Spiderman until we'll get a real continuation of these events. By the way, he's the devil, if you do a deal with him to have more time with May, she will die of natural causes a week later and the devil would just say "Well, you had a whole week extra. You should have spent it more wisely!" :lol:emperor

Yeah, OMD and Brave new world or what the hell it is, Has made me drop spidey as well. If they start actualy printing good spiderman comics again, I'll come back.

As a friend of mine recently said " marvel is trying something revolutionairy. they are trying so see if they can run a comic book comapny without characters, Or readers."

And on that note I'm currently subscribing to Incredible Hulk, that has no Hulk in it! I have to buy other books to read about the Hulk. Incredible Hercules and Red Hulk? I'm thinking my titles is going to be on a very short list soon. And X-Factor is chasing some Messiah and as I don't read the other X-books, I'm clueless.

JoeSweden

Messiah X is over now and X-Factor will return to as narmal as X-Factor can be.

The thing I don't care for is Jamie does not have the M tatoo still, at least according to the previews.

If he woke up with it, it should have stayed.

Dangling plot line from Messiah X:

What happend to the other dupe?
What ever became of poor little Layla?

Having trouble understanding the idea behind OMD and BND.
But there is good reasoning and the story will iron itself out.
I mean it is not like this is a Clone Saga or anything????:cool:
And it is not like he is a Skrull:rolleyes:

Spider-Man can learn a thing or 2 from Rick Astley . . .

rickastley.jpg

Just got one thing to say to Joe Q,
Go Re-read Web of Spider-man. Issue 60. Page 14. and tell me Peter's not such a Giant ****** as to forget what Aunt May tells him.

Wow, I realize I'm six months late to this party but I just read the little comic blurb posted at the beginning of this thread. That...was terrible.

Sounds like they've royally screwed up the character of Spider-Man, beginning with his "unmasking." Now every story that comes out will be due to Spidey's agreement with Satan? Lol, wow. That's a hero for you.

Five minutes after Aunt May was resurrected she should have slipped on a banana peel and died. Dealing with the devil should have been lose/lose. And what kind of romantic hero chooses an aging aunt with one foot in the grave over making the love of his life happy for the next 60 years? What a loser of a character they've made him. How lame.

Okay, I'm still readin BND and it still sucks...I read somewhere that Joe Quesada had wanted all-new villains for Spidey and there have been some unique ideas...but it's mostly boring. There has been NOTHING that has been such a change from OMD...it's like they're just trying to rehash a bunch of old stuff with Peter and it's not working out and with this ever-rotating panel of writers and artists they've been having it's almost complimenting the fact that Marvel has no idea what to do with Spider-man now that Quesada broke the marriage up.

I did like the whole 'Jackpot' thing with the potential of MJ being a super-hero, but that's done already....what now? I do like the whole 'DB!' stuff and Peter trying to make extra cash being a Papparazzi...perhaps thats the most unique thing of it all is the changes at the Daily Bugle.

And how is this affecting Spidey with the rest of the Marvel Universe? He's in New Avengers and with the exception of maybe a few word balloons mentioning something or other, it's nothing!

The only thing I'm looking forward to is the new story arc with "Anti-Venom" and John Romita Jr. returning to Spidey as well!

At least Ultimate Spider-Man never fails to let me down.

I miss JMS on Spidey, he was AMAZING. BTW - Anyone reading THOR? That is easily one of his BEST works yet and he has handled that perfectly! Even when there is nothing going on, just the interaction between the Asgardians and the Texans is very well-done and FUNNY too! I hope this book keeps on its path as Thor is a breath of fresh air compared to what we've seen before.

They're Okies, not Texans. And why do I continue to burn $3 a week on this OMD crap?

After today's issue, I'm done. :(

Haven't read Spider-Man since the end of OMD. The only Spider character I can enjoy is Spider-Woman. Yes, I know she's a skrull :monkey2. That will change once Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D hits in '09 :joy

Back