Amazing Spiderman 545 One More Day / Civil War Tie-In Discussion - SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well on the very last page of AMSM 545 Stan Lee gives props to JMS for his eight year run on Spider-man. He doesn't specifically comment on the OMD story line, but he does say that JMS has tripled Spidey sales and made a lot of innovative changes that have brought new readers to the comic. I'm paraphrasing of course, but he does congratulate JMS on his entire run. I'm not sure that it counts as approval for this specific story, but it does seem that he approves of JMS' work as a whole.

IF Stan actually read any of those issues I would be amazed. Its more likely Joey Q. approached him with a nice fat check and said, "Now will you read these trade paperbacks and write a glowing review for the author?" To which Stan said "Excelsior!" and had his secretary do it for him.:D

JMS doesn't even approve of OMD. He asked to have his name removed from the last two issues but Joey Q talked him out of it.

Really, that's quite interesting - I didn't know. Is there any more information about that or is that all that is known?

Is JMS going to be writing anything further on AMSM, or is his run finished?

Really, that's quite interesting - I didn't know. Is there any more information about that or is that all that is known?

I think JMS is done, they're getting new talent on ASM.

I thought Steve McNiven was going to be the new regular artist but it looks like he's just doing a few issues? :confused:

UPDATE:

Well...according to Wikipedia...it looks like they're shipping ASM three times a month with a revolving amount of talent:

from wiki:

"Following "One More Day", Marvel has planned a "back to basics" approach to Spider-Man which will see Amazing Spider-Man ship three times per month. [1] There will be four creative teams initially consisting of Dan Slott and Steve McNiven, Bob Gale and Phil Jiminez, Marc Guggenheim and Salvador Larroca, and Zeb Wells and Chris Bachalo. Each creative team will be producing a story arc released 3 issues per month. Editor Steve Wacker said in an interview with Newsarama "I'll be rotating the artists and writers so it's not always the same". "

Some good artists there, McNiven and Larroca stand out to me...I like Bachalo but sometimes his stuff is confusing. I'm so-so on Jiminez.

Looks like there's going to be A LOT of Spidey in the future.

And considering the whole "One More Day"...maybe the whole thing with Mephisto was also an excuse to bring Harry Osborn back as well?

Last edited:

Aint that the truth!

The past few years of Marvel through my eyes:

-With the exception of Astonishing X-Men and X-factor, I can't even pick out a discernible story over the course of twelve issues of any given Marvel title.

-Three little words ruined forty years of mutant story evolution.

-Bucky is alive? He was a secret agent during WWII???? What?

-Bone claws. Bone effing claws. (I'll get back to this)

-Colussus' sacrifice was destroyed.

-Civil War. Huh?

-Captain America is dead? OK, I understand social commentary, but really? Killing Captain America?

-now this.

You know, the problem, imho, is that they don't have a bullpin anymore. The House Of Ideas isn't filled with creators anymore. I remember when I was little, when it snowed in Thor, it snowed in every Marvel comic. And writers were wouldn't write stories that had Snowbird using her powers in the States because they'd know that she has will die doing so.

I'm curious if I'm going to break the habit that my Mavel funny books have become. I'm pretty damn certain that I'm done with Spider-man now.

...and as for the bone claws, don't you think it would have been a better story if the bone claws were the product of Wolvie's healing factor trying to repair the damage Magneto caused by ripping out the adamantium? Really, how the eff do you fit a bone into a razor sharp claw????

Another funny thing. JMS's run, which lasted 8 years and garnered 3 times the sales the book pulled in before him, is OMD has just written it all out of existence. Great job Marvel. Way to go.

JMS said in an e-mail that he had sent to Newsrama in response to an interview with Joe Q over the whole OMD thing, that pretty much everything after the final dong of Midnight was all re-written by editorial it wasnt what he wrote. Not only was he against OMD but when forced to do it he proposed it be done right after Aunt May was shot instead Marvel decided to have her in the hospital for like nearly a year before the first OMD issue came out.

Also Joe Quesada's logic for why Harry is back and the organic web shooters being gone etc. ITS MAGIC! Does Doctor Strange know? Nope, his unmaksing? People just forget, the news footage gone! all Magic! Magic has no rules! Its Magic.

This is what JMS didnt want, he was going to change one thing that would allow editoral to pick and chose what events changed but would overal leave continuity in tackt, he said he worked hard on it so it would work. Joe Q said it would be too big a chnage so instead we get, ITS MAGIC!.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, he makes a pact with the Devil, forgoes his happiness with his supermodel wife and the potential for a family simply to save the life of his 90 year old aunt who should have died 30 years ago anyway? Logically, she's probably only got a couple years left even if she hadn't been shot. At least they didn't bring back Gwen Stacey like they originally wanted to.

So let me get this straight, he makes a pact with the Devil, forgoes his happiness with his supermodel wife and the potential for a family simply to save the life of his 90 year old aunt who should have died 30 years ago anyway? Logically, she's probably only got a couple years left even if she hadn't been shot. At least they didn't bring back Gwen Stacey like they originally wanted to.

Yep, that's about it; and as wonderfully done as the Back in Black series was -- it ends lackluster. Pete and MJ debate the merits of saving Aunt May, and even though she is old, they reason that because the bullet was meant for Peter; it wasn't yet her time, and they shouldn't rush that.

:confused:

In the famous words of mr horse.....
Mr._Horse_as_a_GI.png

"No sir, I don't like it."

I stand by my previous statement.
Also, i will not buy it.

The most amsuing part of this is that Joe Quesada didnt want Peter and MJ to get Divorced beacuse it sends the wrong message to kids, same with why he has banned smoking in the comics. Yet making deals with the devil is a great message to send to children.

You know...despite it all...I know people love Batman and Superman and all other characters but because of how "human" Spider-man is and how close he is to normal people when he isn't Spidey...comic fans really take this break-up personally like Spidey & MJ are part of their family or something. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all...it's just interesting to see how much outrage ruining a character's marriage takes over killing one off or something like that.

The most amsuing part of this is that Joe Quesada didnt want Peter and MJ to get Divorced beacuse it sends the wrong message to kids, same with why he has banned smoking in the comics. Yet making deals with the devil is a great message to send to children.

Good point.

Also, funny how they solicited the hardcover for this so quickly...

i am embarrassed to have read this garbage... weak writing to say the least.

Well, Spiderman 546 is out and I am more confused than ever. They mention the Initiative and a couple of other recent Marvel events, so it looks like what happened really happened in regular continuity. My problem is still how all of this affects the rest of the Marvel Universe. The events of Civil War wouldn't have gone down the same path without Peter's unmasking. How does Harry's return affect Norman Osborne being a part of The Thunderbolts? etc. Here's the 2 page spread in 546 explaining Peter's new "status quo":

ASM546027.jpg

So now, NO ONE knows who Spider-man is? Not even Black Cat or Daredevil? So, how the hell is Spidey in New Avengers? I promised myself I would give them 6 issues to convince me Spidey was worth keeping. They better work hard on the next 5 cause this is making less sense the farther in we get.

Quesada is such a POS. Why are people still falling for this stuff?

Marvel is going to lose sales in 2008, that hack will get tossed out on his ass (along with some of his yes-men crowd of "Look how cool we are!" writers/editors) and then Marvel will rebuild anew and led by those who care more about the classic characters than pretentious stunts.

Last edited:
basically... all of the past years of continuity are void... unacceptable!

Back