ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add on AE's end, I've never had any need to contact their support, but their costs are low and I've never regretted ordering even after shipping is added in. There have been some things over the years that they have had at ridiculously low prices over the years, almost to the point where you'd think it was a scam if you didn't know better. I'd judge it on a case by case basis with purchases, sometimes you just can't go wrong with AE.

To add on AE's end, I've never had any need to contact their support, but their costs are low and I've never regretted ordering even after shipping is added in. There have been some things over the years that they have had at ridiculously low prices over the years, almost to the point where you'd think it was a scam if you didn't know better. I'd judge it on a case by case basis with purchases, sometimes you just can't go wrong with AE.
In the end, it was having to pay up front and their hokey ordering system that put me off Anime Export. Paying for something six months in advance to an overseas company with a reputation for not responding to customer requests just didn't sit right with me.

HLJ is pay item and your choice of shipping on release. AE is pay for item up front and your choice of shipping on release

AE charges more for shipping, but usually still comes in at the same price or a few $$ less (so it's pretty much a wash).

Negatives:

AE has poor to non-existent customer service if something goes wrong.
HLJ has been known to 'oversell' orders thus dropping people's orders out of the blue (only known to happen on the cassettes and possibly Exhaust as far as MP's go)

Either one is fine. I went with AE cause I have have the cash now and like to break up the payment (item now/shipping later) and since I order other stuff from them I can combine to save on shipping (which you can also do at HLJ with Private Warehouse).

Holy Heck! FT Stomp looks sooooooooo good. Can't wait to get him.

I love AmiAmi. They are cheaper than HLJ and they bill you when the item arrives. I just received this guy from them today, I didn't think I would find one. He was $53.20 shipped.

image.jpg

Re: All things transformers!!!!

Could you post a side by side with Bombshell and Bee if you get a minute? I'd assume they are the same size?

This whole Tf collecting is turning expensive, specially with doubles of everything. I just don't know if i want the cartoon accurate version or the toy one...

Also, I usually avoid reprints like the plague, but this guy is one of the exemptions.

Gorgeous:

3185e09f78eadda73e6fd6584121f029.jpg

I try to stay away from repaints too but I somehow ended up with three versions of Bluestreak :)

The blue one is the best!

I love AmiAmi. They are cheaper than HLJ and they bill you when the item arrives. I just received this guy from them today, I didn't think I would find one. He was $53.20 shipped.

View attachment 215366

amiami is definitely good. I started off with them and still order from them occasionally. I just don't really like not being able to cancel like hlj and I don't like being committed to a purchase without prepaying (which is one reason I use AE for all my 'absolutes' like TF MP's). Also, amiami only allows you to bundle together orders by month (hlj 60 days, AE is 60 days but I've done longer). When items get delayed, it's usually by a month or more so you lose the bundled shipping advantage on amiami. I've had that a lot with figma and also with MP Tracks and Road Rage.

But, they are all good and all have their ups and downs. People should try them all out and see what fits their style best.

amiami is definitely good. I started off with them and still order from them occasionally. I just don't really like not being able to cancel like hlj and I don't like being committed to a purchase without prepaying (which is one reason I use AE for all my 'absolutes' like TF MP's). Also, amiami only allows you to bundle together orders by month (hlj 60 days, AE is 60 days but I've done longer). When items get delayed, it's usually by a month or more so you lose the bundled shipping advantage on amiami. I've had that a lot with figma and also with MP Tracks and Road Rage.

But, they are all good and all have their ups and downs. People should try them all out and see what fits their style best.

I agree with you, not being able to cancel is a pain. I try to order figures I know I really want and I *try* not to make impulse purchases :)

I can also see how the bundled shipping issue could be a problem if you order a lot.

Ordered 2 Hot Rods from Anime Expo (AE),Shockwave from Hobby Link Japan (HLJ) and will order a second Shockwave through Nippon Yasson.(N-Y). Also ordering Ironhide through AmiAmi. I normally go with N-Y lately but they are taking too long for preorders so Im giving the others a shot. Hope all goes well.

Pretty sure he's around Soundwave/Seeker size so that's why he's twice the price & in line with those characters rather than the Carbots

HTH

Neil
Yeah Shockwave is quite a bit larger than Hot Rod. Plus he has electronics. Plus I think Takara-Tomy just typically charges more for non-carbots because they supposedly don't sell in the same numbers in Japan. Or perhaps it's because they know they can get away with charging more for Decepticons because they make so few of them (who aren't just made-up repaints of Autobots).

06__scaled_6001.jpg

71hwLZ4TPuL._SL1100_.jpg

I do wish they had gone with a deeper purple on Shockwave, and painted his grey bits to match Soundwave's silver bits.

franpincho,
Here's the pic you requested, quality isn't the best as I was pushed for time today but you get the idea,

The one area where I think the Badcube version of the character does better is the back kibble but as my bookcase is black it doesn't show up as much as it would if it was displayed in something like a Detolf so it's not really a problem. There is also the option to experiment with different configurations so that it's not as visible from the front or you could even remove all the legs which is something I'm considering as it's not like I transform my figures that often.

I've been asking the same questions over the past few days and from what I've gathered:

1. Hobbylink Japan's customer support is stellar while Anime Export's is virtually non-existent. Example, HLJ while pay to have a defective product shipped back to them in Japan, while you'll be lucky if you can even get someone at Anime Export to speak to you let alone replace your product.

2. Hobbylink Japan doesn't require money upfront and is cool with cancelations while the opposite is true of Anime Export.

3. Hobbylink Japan's shipping is supposedly cheaper, which may balance out their price differences, but I can't vouch for that.

:exactly:

I had great customer service w/HLJ. Recently purchased the Ban Dai Maul. Pre-ordered Capt. Phasma & Marvel Universe Variant Play Arts Kai Venom.

^^Yeah, I figure they would have been more heavily promoting this if this was the case. But maybe I missed it.

I can definitely vouch for HLJ having reasonable shipping. Something on the order of $10-15 to have figures, even multiple figures shipped via EMS (3-4 days from Japan). Can't beat that.

I didn't even know he had electronics. That may certainly contribute to the cost.

Does he have electronics? I know the eye is just light piping (which is kinda weird for an MP figure).
yes, his gun hand lights up, which in turn lights up the barrel in alt mode.

71jND9y%2BdQL._SL1100_.jpg

61F3o1TGhiL._SL1100_.jpg

In the image below you can see the battery compartment on his left lower arm (the hose is just for aesthetics and doesn't run power from a giant 9-volt battery in the backpack like the G1 toy) :)

51Kdu-9AefL._SL1100_.jpg

Side note: I like the way the trigger from his gun mode disappears in robot mode. That's another nice little update from the G1 toy.

71ENR7F3irL._SL1100_.jpg

Does he have electronics? I know the eye is just light piping (which is kinda weird for an MP figure).

Yeah he does check the barrel ;) I assume the light piping is because of one reduced cost and two the eye will stay "lit" without having to leave a battery on. With quakewave the eye stays dark without the light function on,at least here it will appear to be lit somewhat. Same applies to HT's Ironmen,dont think I turn on the lights on any of them except for taking photos.

GVjetGN.jpg

Edit: beaten by Spanbauer

I'm personally just as happy without light-up gimmicks, but for something like this, where it hearkens back to an old toy from our childhoods, I can totally support it.

Back