ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that is fantastic, but If I were to get that, I'd need that type of paint work done to all my MP figures, which would be financial suicide.

yeah I did see that. it`s cool but not for no 300.00 and 6 days left

An impressive custom, though maybe a bit more overdone than it needs to be.

its a custom based off the new video game that's coming out...
the paint is done to replicate the cell shade design of the character.
it is a remarkable job in my opinion! and the custom designed parts and such... just wow!

check out the video of it... you'll swear there are times you are looking at a cartoon image!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQg96VLkHA#t=100

i'll tell you for the $300 that it's at right now... the amount of time that guy has in making that thing... he coulda went to burger king and got a job and probably doubled his hourly rate he has in that after all is said and done!

when someone does a job and it makes you do a double take to figure out if its a figure or a cartoon image... impressive!
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
i'll tell you for the $300 that it's at right now... the amount of time that guy has in making that thing... he coulda went to burger king and got a job and probably doubled his hourly rate he has in that after all is said and done!

when someone does a job and it makes you do a double take to figure out if its a figure or a cartoon image... impressive!

And this is why I never sell my custom work. I'd want to price it based on my hourly rate I charge for illustration and design and at that rate no one would want to buy it. Like my Desert Hunter Predator I'd need to get like $1500+ for it and unless you've made a name for yourself no one is going to pay that and even then it would be dodgy.

Seeing this guy only making a couple hundred depending on what he paid for the original MP figure is nuts and sad.

There's no doubt that it's very impressive. And my first thought was that it was game inspired, but then I just looked back at that animated clip of Starscream and saw how much shading was done there, and it could almost just pass as a fancy G1 animated version.

I once bought a very nicely repainted TRU Thundercracker as Starscream for $150 shipped, and also thought that this guy must work cheap!

And this is why I never sell my custom work. I'd want to price it based on my hourly rate I charge for illustration and design and at that rate no one would want to buy it. Like my Desert Hunter Predator I'd need to get like $1500+ for it and unless you've made a name for yourself no one is going to pay that and even then it would be dodgy.

Seeing this guy only making a couple hundred depending on what he paid for the original MP figure is nuts and sad.

Maybe he works fast.

When I've made things for cosplays or whatever usually the first run takes time but I get quicker and quicker at it.

hell yea it is! i'd bet on the conservative side that they have 50+ hours in that thing w/ the paint and custom parts. take away the $65 of the figure... and that's about $5 / hr for custom design and paint work! the guy flipping burgers is almost doubling his rate! lol

FYI couple places are popping up with pre-orders for the toy world devastator...
looks like regular price is gonna be $600 for the set or $99.99 each. tfsource posted them over the weekend...
much cheaper than i was expecting!!

hell yea it is! i'd bet on the conservative side that they have 50+ hours in that thing w/ the paint and custom parts. take away the $65 of the figure... and that's about $5 / hr for custom design and paint work! the guy flipping burgers is almost doubling his rate! lol
50+ hours may be a bit of an overestimate :lol But I wouldn't be shocked if he spent 4-5 hours on it.

50+ hours may be a bit of an overestimate :lol But I wouldn't be shocked if he spent 4-5 hours on it.

50 maybe be an overestimate, or may not... depends on if the guy is a master at his craft... but coming from someone who actually does this kind of work (custom designed parts, and paint work) there's 3-4 hours just in break down and reassembly easy. that's simply taking it apart and putting it back together. there's a custom made head, custom shoulders, custom chest, custom tail fins and TONS and TONS of layered paint work. 4-5 hours!! lol :rotfl

oh and looks like he built in ankle pivot! forgot about that too!
here's the ebay link...

Transformers Custom Masterpiece Starscream | eBay

Well I'm no master customizer but have taken apart and custom painted TFs in the past, and it hardly took me longer than that when I had zero experience. For a guy who has obviously had a great deal of experience, I would be shocked if it took him much longer than that per figure. But YMMV. I didn't notice too many new or modified parts there, but that would of course take more time. But if this guy spent the equivalent of a full work week plus making one toy he tried to sell for $300, then he might want to get into a new line of work IMO.

Well I'm no master customizer but have taken apart and custom painted TFs in the past, and it hardly took me longer than that when I had zero experience. For a guy who has obviously had a great deal of experience, I would be shocked if it took him much longer than that per figure. But YMMV. I didn't notice too many new or modified parts there, but that would of course take more time. But if this guy spent the equivalent of a full work week plus making one toy he tried to sell for $300, then he might want to get into a new line of work IMO.

to get something broken down, a good paint job, and put back together... 5 hours is impossible! not calling you a liar, and i'm not a master either... but i have gotten good with the MP10 mold, modding it w/ custom made parts, leds, custom paint, etc...

as examples:
g2 from YOTH

YOTH rework

MP10B custom

another YOTH

these are just a few that i've had jobs that i've taken on for people that have asked me in the past...
and got very good with breaking down MP10... and even minor custom jobs w/ detail painting took 20+ hours. the more detailed stuff w/ full repaints took easily double that.

I sent the guy that had the auction running a message appreciating his work and asked him an estimate on total hours for the build... and just as i estimated on the hours...

his response:
"Wow. Thanks Jason. This has about 10 hours in parts and 40 hours in paint. Good guess. 3d printed face with modified shoulders, chests, leg wing assemblies and all new feet. The chest and shoulders fit any version of the MP mold and allow the weapons to sit higher on the arm. If there is enough interest, I may cast the parts in colored resin for each seeker. Give the the MP shelf a shot of Energon 'Roids. Thanks for your support and please, if you don't mind, share a link with me to sideshow. I'd like to see the feedback. Good or Bad. "

I think it's possible that some people might not be super familiar with keeping track of their time spent and under estimate what time they spend. As someone who works contractually and invoice by the hour I have gotten fairly good at keeping track of my time. For a custom I would charge only for my time actually working, I don't charge for research or time spent waiting on paint to try and the like. Doing a repaint on all of the armor for a HT Predator takes me about 10-15 hours-ish depending on what I'm doing.

I also find it hard to believe you could break down and fully repaint an MP-10 in five hours. It's a lot of parts to deal with and I'm sure there's some trick aspect of the disassembly that you just can't rush.

Maybe I'm just slow ::shrug::

Agreed! Like I said there's no way you can do that in five hours! I'm a speed demon with MP10 and taking that thing apart and it still takes me over a couple hours easy to take apart and put back together.

Back