ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they charge whatever the currency they accept is. and paypal handles the transaction. YES, paypal charges exchange fees. Usually it's about 1$usd per 100$ spent. and paypal factors this in, you only ever see it if you go look at the detailed transaction breakdown. it will not show up as an extra charge.

Never noticed that. Hmn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is an example of HLJ payment to paypal.

I purchased Exhaust for 5200 yen

Here is my paypal invoice
Description Unit price Qty Amount
¥5,200 JPY 1 ¥5,200 JPY
Subtotal ¥5,200 JPY
Total ¥5,200 JPY
Payment ¥5,200 JPY
Charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *HOBBYLINK"
Payment sent to [email protected]
From amount $44.65 USD
To amount ¥5,200 JPY
Exchange rate: 1 USD = 116.486 JPY

Its not really a transaction fee, but more that they keep an average of the exchange rate instead of updating everyday.

If you google 5,200 yen to USD it will be 43.23
Exchange rate 1 USD = 120.28 JPY

rate paid 44.65
Actual rate 43.23
1.42 USD difference paid over actual yen price.

Still this is a lot cheaper and can take advantage of the good Yen to Dollar ratio now. The yen could lose more value or gain value over time. Just a gamble as to when you are all in.

Hope this helps people with pre paying now or paying later. Either way Oversees purchases are cheaper than US purchases.

Takara always has the most beautiful, source material-appropriate packaging. Whereas Hasbro. . .ugh.
Hasbro's is just the worst. Masterpiece Starscream's packaging is so disappointing. So far less elegant than Takara Tomy's, and the photography doesn't even have the thing transformed correctly. The fact that Hasbro let it go to production that way shows just how little they care.

Totally agree! Having said that...

A figure with beautiful packaging is like being with a woman wearing a gorgeous outfit. Someone that you know you're going to sleep with later that night. You can't help but admire her gorgeous outfit, but while having dinner all you're thinking about is ripping off the "packaging" to see her "figure."

Exchange fees have never been a problem, at least in my experience. My totals have always been what the vendor (HJL, etc) calculated at first. Never been charged anything else.

It's amazing how great Shockwave looks. I have so many friends that weren't even aware of the MP line that have been asking about a pic a post on FB. It's likely their first ever TF purchase since we were all kids. Amazing.

thecorsair,

Thanks for the pics buddy! I'm having a hard time resisting Bombshell!

they charge whatever the currency they accept is. and paypal handles the transaction. YES, paypal charges exchange fees. Usually it's about 1$usd per 100$ spent. and paypal factors this in, you only ever see it if you go look at the detailed transaction breakdown. it will not show up as an extra charge.

Here is an example of HLJ payment to paypal.

I purchased Exhaust for 5200 yen

Here is my paypal invoice
Description Unit price Qty Amount
¥5,200 JPY 1 ¥5,200 JPY
Subtotal ¥5,200 JPY
Total ¥5,200 JPY
Payment ¥5,200 JPY
Charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *HOBBYLINK"
Payment sent to [email protected]
From amount $44.65 USD
To amount ¥5,200 JPY
Exchange rate: 1 USD = 116.486 JPY

Its not really a transaction fee, but more that they keep an average of the exchange rate instead of updating everyday.

If you google 5,200 yen to USD it will be 43.23
Exchange rate 1 USD = 120.28 JPY

rate paid 44.65
Actual rate 43.23
1.42 USD difference paid over actual yen price.

Still this is a lot cheaper and can take advantage of the good Yen to Dollar ratio now. The yen could lose more value or gain value over time. Just a gamble as to when you are all in.

Hope this helps people with pre paying now or paying later. Either way Oversees purchases are cheaper than US purchases.
Thanks for the info on exchange fees, fellas. Sounds like there's little to worry about.

I used to order my Hot Toys figures from toys.net in Canada, when their prices were lower and shipping faster than Sideshow, and I remember having to stop because my bank would nail me with $8 currency exchange fees, making the savings marginal.

Thought I'd share. Going to need another shelf very soon.

I agree, very nice display! Always refreshing to see a clean, uncluttered shelf with plenty of room for the figures to breath. Looks great!

Here's my humble Masterpiece collection, featuring the ghosts of the coming soon! :D

masterpiece-collection.jpg

Last edited:
Re: All things transformers!!!!

thecorsair,

Thanks for the pics buddy! I'm having a hard time resisting Bombshell!

No problem!

Bombshell is another great figure from Fans Toys and it's only increased my excitement for Shrapnel & Kickback.

All things transformers!!!!

Would much rather spend an extra day in Hawaii than pay $600 for a Starscream that retails for $70 at TRU.

Insane.

Would much rather spend an extra day in Hawaii than pay $600 for a Starscream that retails for $70 at TRU.

Insane.

To be fair, a lot of people would think we're insane for even buying the $70 Starscream. :)

But I gotta say... that paint work doesn't even look that good. Neat effect, overall, but man... yeah, that's a bit much!

Back