ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: All things transformers!!!!

"Based on what I read, it does seem very unlikely for MP09 to be revisited. Man, I returned my V1 twice to BBTS, and I somewhat thought that V2 was going to be around for a while... Now I can't find one. Was it just like the US Hasbro release? I didn't really notice any improvements on that one compared to the TT V1..."

I had V1 and have V2 now and it was a bit better with his backpack tabbing better and hands that holds his gun better. I heard the US version had more QC problems than V1.

True. But remember the cartoons had the same issues with many of it's characters, especially combiners. This Bruticus set is represnting the cartoon accurately since they themselves were not scaled properly to each other in their vehicle modes. But in robot mode and combined, this set looks to be on point. Lol. If they were scaled correctly in vehicle mode, then you would have one odd looking Bruticus. With some of these you would just have to decide what would you rather have in scaled properly, their robot mode or vehicle mode. For me, I would rather have their robot modes in scaled.

Imagine the problems and decisions they will face if they would do Astrotrain!! In robot mode, he seems to be just as tall as your normal decepticons but in train and space shuttle mode, he somehow triple or quadruple in size and able to carry multiple decepticons including a combined Devastator!!!

Yeah I was going to touch on that; it wouldn't of been so glaring on the show if they didn't physically change scale mid episode FFS!lol

Third interview, Yuki this time!

Disclaimer: The original of this interview was published in Transformer Masterpiece Official Guide book. The reason I provide this translation is solely to help non-Japanese fans who are unable to read this insightful interview in the book they have purchased. Hope you'll enjoy and pardon the grammar errors and/or typo.

Credit to RedTruck for providing me with the material. If not for him I'd have had nothing to work on at this stage (hurry up, Australia Post!)
I'd also like to thank Underwear and Liampope for getting me off my lazy butt.

Hisashi Yuki
Joined Takara in 1992 and was in charge of MP-4 Convoy Perfect Edition (Trailer) and MP-5 Megatron. Currently working on MP Star Saber.

- I hear the first Masterpiece figure you created was MP-5 Megatron and you hold the fastest development record with it.
Y: That is right. (*laughs) I was not assigned to be in charge of it initially, but due to the circumstance within the company I was unexpectedly handed down the project. The schedule came with it and I was stunned when I realised that I was only given 12 days, about 2 weeks...To make it worse, at the time of my receiving the task, even the product size wasn't decided. (*tears)
Even more horrifying was the plan of reissuing MP-1 to go with Megatron - simply reissuing him wasn't considered to be appealing enough and it was decided to give him a trailer. That decision was made after the Golden Week (note by Sydney; The Golden Week is a period usually between the end of April to early May which include some public holidays and their makeup holidays) and I was told to come up with a proto (of the trailer) by the end of May, and I designed it in one night. This is how MP-4 Convoy Perfect Edition came into existence. I couldn't shirk my task as the release date had already been set by backward calculation. I really did the best I could though there just wasn't enough time.
As for Megatron, the more I watched him in the cartoon setting the more I wondered how that form could turn into a gun (*laughs) Looking back now, it was such a great effort on my part to have made him into a form within such a short time frame, if I may say so myself.

- It has been a long time since you went through such hardship, and now you are back to the MP series to work on the 30th anniversary project, Star Saber.
Y: That is correct. While I participated in brainstorming sessions to discuss the lineup and such, I did not contribute to any actual item developments as I was not a main MP designer.

- And where did the idea of choosing the first of the new lineup of Masterpiece figures according to the poll result of "Masterpiece Fan's Choice" come from?
Y: My memory is a bit fuzzy, but the main reasons were we were keen on doing something that the fans can participate for the 30th anniversary and we were also keen to know which characters in "The Headmasters" and the later series were more popular by asking the fans directly.

- So the idea was to ask the fans directly what they want first, then realise it as a product.
Y: Yes. It turned out Star Saber was the winner. Hasui, the main series designer, was going to be in charge of the 30th anniversary MP originally. But he was fully occupied with Bumble and Wheeljack, and since Star Saber was a character I was attached to personally, I stood for the job eagerly.
Actually, when I was still a student I tried to come up with my own way of turning Star Saber into a three-dimensional form. I considered scratch-building a fully articulated model though it wasn't meant to be transformable, and drew plans while watching the cartoon.
In fact I had a similar idea with Ginrai as well. I had fun drawing plans and trying to create Ginrai that was fully transformable yet proportioned as seen in the cartoon.

- You already had many ideas for Star Saber and Ginrai that far back?
Y: Well, because they were my favourite characters, or rather, as one of the fans I used to think they looked so cool. The original Star Saber released in 1989 has many excellent components as a toy and I embarked on the MP Star Saber project with an intention of being always true to those. Also I wanted to make him into a product which would remind you of that cool Star Saber from the cartoon as that's the characteristic of the Masterpiece series.

- The proto shown at Tokyo Toy Show had a very refined shape - were there lots of trial and error until you reached that stage?
Y: No, it went unexpectedly smoothly. I had a much clearer image of Star Saber in my head than I thought, so I could draw a good-looking Star Saber with hardly any effort, then added gimmicks here and there...and it was done.
My method is to outline the shape first, then draw the inner mechanism. As I draw, inconsistencies and hindrances to the transformation become apparent and gradually, the rough structure takes a form in my head. I add various mechanisms to it and consider suitable structures for the articulations, I contrive several patterns based on different ideas until I settle with the final one.

- In your mind, it is almost concluded.
Y: The appearance of Star Saber is quite set from the very beginning, so what I did first was to decide on the rough proportion, estimate the size and consider how many gimmicks could be incorporated.
The product size is slightly bigger than MP-22 Ultra Magnus. It is about the same size as the original Star Saber toy. I couldn't help it becoming one size bigger because I wanted to include the gimmicks the original toy had.
To be honest, during my long career as a toy developer, I have rarely had an opportunity to remake a robot toy I liked. When I was working on MP Star Saber, I discovered that a job with such fun actually existed. (*laughs)

- Is it possible that you will work on a MP figure again in the future?
Y: I can't say for sure as it also depends on the balance of the entire TF development duties at any given time, although I wouldn't say it's impossible. But if Ginrai gets a go-ahead, I want the job no matter what. I am still waiting for a fully articulated, anime-proportioned toy of my very favourite, Ginrai. (*laughs)

The product size is slightly bigger than MP-22 Ultra Magnus. It is about the same size as the original Star Saber toy. I couldn't help it becoming one size bigger because I wanted to include the gimmicks the original toy had.

Great news as he will be able to stand next to my G1 SS and be the same size.

MP-5 may be ****, the engineering has always been admireable and knowing that it was done in 12 days is just mindblowing, even if it does explain some things. And I think that MP Star Saber is also showing nicely what Yuki is really capable of.

I've never shared the hate others have toward MP-05. Could it look better, and be more stable? Sure. But it still looks pretty damn good to me. My main issue with it is the space rust. And fact that it isn't in scale with the new guys.

I'm loving and greatly appreciating these 3rd party company for taking a chance and fill in some of the gaps with official lines.
I'm loving how these dinobots are coming along. The scale for that snarl looks to be perfect. They should tower over the autobots, especially Optimus. As much as I love my masterpiece Grimlock, he is undersized. Hopefully these guys will come out with a Grimlock of their own in proper scale. Those minibots are looking smazing as well.

Maybe snarl will come with another pair of lifts for Grimlock to add to the ones that came with Scoria. By the time they do Sludge, Grimlock should tower over everyone :)

Wow, that looks so much nicer than the one by Gigatron or Gigapower, or whatever they're called! And I have to admit, Brawn is growing on me too... I hope they finesse a few things, but I will likely get it regardless.

These MP designer's need to stop blabbing and start revealing some new MP's

All things transformers!!!!

I'm sold on the dinobots. Fans Toys has become my favorite 3rd party MP. They know what we want and happy to see them filling in the gap. Please make Devastator!

Hopefully these guys will come out with a Grimlock of their own in proper scale. Those minibots are looking smazing as well.

Fans Toys have already confirmed they're going to do Grimlock last....unless Takara make a new one first, which isn't looking likely.

DPrime,
I agree. Both modes look like an actual Masterpiece, the Giga Power effort looks like a scaled up KO of the G1 toy with a bit more articulation and a few extra details.

Somebody at TFW posted some comparison pics with both stood next to MP10 and the difference in size was minimal so it also looks like FT have slightly tweaked their scaling.

If they learn from Scoria and make sure the shoulders have ratchet joints and the hip area isn't so heavy then the QC issues should be avoided and Sever should be another winner.

At this point it's hard for me to determine which one is better - Giga Power or Fanstoys. I think it's all going to come down to paint and quality in the end. The sculpts are so similar. Lots of folks on TFW are commenting though that the one problem with Fanstoys is that their Scoria and Sever look like figures from completely different lines. Scoria clearly fits in with MP Grimlock, but Sever has many more details.

Yes, dinobots are awesome, but give me something else that hasn't been done yet. Give me Galvatron, or Scourge, or Cyclonus. I jumped all over Quakwave because no one was doing a Shockwave mold, but everyone is doing dinobots.

I'm sticking to Takara for whenever they decide to make them. In fact, other than Quakewave, I'm done with third party.

TT gets my $$$ as their latest MP's have been nothing short of amazing, and I'm must be hard for them to keep up with these Third Party companies that can literally release anything they want as long as te names are different. If they release newly proportioned Dinobots, great, if not, then whatever.

Back