All Things ANIME

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ANIME???

Seaward said:
Did anybody else order the Rei and Asuka Medicom figures from Sideshow? I am really looking forward to these myself, and hope they at least offer a Shinji in the future, but I think interest is pretty low.:monkey2
I can tell you that I'm also looking forward to Rei and Asuka! This weeks newsletter said that the figures are arriving in the warehouses (US and EU) within the next 30 days. I'll be a happy camper if they're here!
I agree, Shinji is a must, and I can't imagine for Medicom to pass on him. He's a to important character. I could understand if they decided to pass on the fourth and fifth children, but Shinji? Personally, I'm more impatient for some Eva's of an acceptable size. The best Eva's I've seen so far, are the once made by Bandai/Soul of Chogokin. They are die cast, and really detailed and posable. But they are a bit small. Still Bandai/Soul of Chogokin rocks. I own several of their robots, among which a fantastic Goldorak/Grandizer.

anyone else going to the con?? they have bunch load of anime stuff every corner.

student_toe5 said:
anyone else going to the con?? they have bunch load of anime stuff every corner.

I wanted to, but I got this new job plus two summer courses. ALso, the World Cup is going on so I can't make it. Def. next year..:chew

I'm also a huge anime fan, and have been for 15+ years. I fondly remember the days of tape trading for horrible 10th generation fan subs (that looked only somewhat better than the scrambled channels on cable tv), as this stuff was NOWHERE to be found. :lol My first exposure to Japanese animation was through Robotech, and with the help of fellow traders I soon discovered the unedited Japanese Macross series (from which the first saga of Robotech is molded from), movies and spinoffs. To this day Macross is my main hobby/passion, second only to Star Wars. If any of you guys and gals dig Robotech, you seriously need to do yourself a favor and track down the original/unedited Super Dimension Fortress Macross series (which isn't difficult at all, considering the series has been released by Animeigo and, more recently, by ADV films in an English dub) and any of the spinoffs. Though I tend to focus on all things Macross, I also have a fondness for a select group of other anime. Here's my list of favorites:

Super Dimension Fortress Macross (tv series)
Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? (possibly THE best anime film of all time)
Macross: Flashback 2012 (OVA)
Macross Plus (OVAs and movie)
Macross 7 (tv series, OVAs, and film)
Macross Zero (OVAs)

Non-Macross:

Bubblegum Crisis (original OVA series)
AD Police (original, darker spin-off of BGC)
Genesis Climber Mospeada (also known as the "New Generation" portion of Robotech)
Escaflowne (the movie is interesting, but the series is prefered)
Cowboy Bebop (tv series)
Samurai Champloo (tv series)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and 2nd Gig, and the 2 films)
Project A-Ko (OVAs...just NOT the Versus Battles)
Record of Lodoss War (original OVAs)
Crest/Banner of the Stars (OVAs)
Megazone 23 (OVAs)
Rahxephon (tv series)

Movies:

Akira
Nausicaä
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away

And more recently I discovered Karas, which is a gorgeous blend of CG and cell animation.

It's good to see there are more fans of this stuff out there in SSF land. :chew :chew

crasis said:
I'm also a huge anime fan, and have been for 15+ years. I fondly remember the days of tape trading for horrible 10th generation fan subs (that looked only somewhat better than the scrambled channels on cable tv), as this stuff was NOWHERE to be found. :lol My first exposure to Japanese animation was through Robotech, and with the help of fellow traders I soon discovered the unedited Japanese Macross series (from which the first saga of Robotech is molded from), movies and spinoffs. To this day Macross is my main hobby/passion, second only to Star Wars. If any of you guys and gals dig Robotech, you seriously need to do yourself a favor and track down the original/unedited Super Dimension Fortress Macross series (which isn't difficult at all, considering the series has been released by Animeigo and, more recently, by ADV films in an English dub) and any of the spinoffs. Though I tend to focus on all things Macross, I also have a fondness for a select group of other anime. Here's my list of favorites:

Super Dimension Fortress Macross (tv series)
Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? (possibly THE best anime film of all time)
Macross: Flashback 2012 (OVA)
Macross Plus (OVAs and movie)
Macross 7 (tv series, OVAs, and film)
Macross Zero (OVAs)

Non-Macross:

Bubblegum Crisis (original OVA series)
AD Police (original, darker spin-off of BGC)
Genesis Climber Mospeada (also known as the "New Generation" portion of Robotech)
Escaflowne (the movie is interesting, but the series is prefered)
Cowboy Bebop (tv series)
Samurai Champloo (tv series)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and 2nd Gig, and the 2 films)
Project A-Ko (OVAs...just NOT the Versus Battles)
Record of Lodoss War (original OVAs)
Crest/Banner of the Stars (OVAs)
Megazone 23 (OVAs)
Rahxephon (tv series)

Movies:

Akira
Nausicaä
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away

And more recently I discovered Karas, which is a gorgeous blend of CG and cell animation.

It's good to see there are more fans of this stuff out there in SSF land. :chew :chew

welcome!!! i like your list of shows i watch just about all of them. i too remember the old VHS trading at conventions to get the older shows. i sitll have the first copy of Akira on VHS that i got at a convention when i was 13. Karas is a great show... i went out and bought the first dvd a couple weeks back after watching a episode i downloaded.

Oh, and to keep this relevant to my fellow 1/6 scale collectors...

If any of you are Robotech/Macross fans, a new company in the high-end figure market, PopBox Collectibles (distributed in the US by Toynami) is releasing a series of Macross character figures this summer! Their Hikaru Ichijo (you may know him as Rick Hunter from the Americanized Robotech) figure is off the charts! I've been waiting for anime-accurate figures of the main characters of this series for over 15 years. They chose to go with the likenesses/outfits from the MACROSS: Do You Remember Love? feature film, which you just can't go wrong with.

hikaru_listing.jpg

More pics can be found here:
https://www.popboxcollectibles.com/macrossI1.html

From the site:

"Specifications: Premium rendition of your favorite Macross characters. Figure will have sculpted hair and highly detailed real cloth outfit with inner lining including miniture zipper, button, insignia patch and boots reproduced in exact likeness from the animated movie, “Do you Remember Love”. Body will have an awesome 23 points of articulation for greater posability. Each 12” scale figure will be correctly sized to character's proportion and height (for example, Roy will be approximately 1” taller than Hikaru). Comes with bonus collector's insignia patch and dogtag with chain.

Series 1 – 12” Scale Figures in Blue Utility Uniform - Hikaru Ichijo (Rick Hunter)
- Maximillian Jenius (Max Sterling)
- Roy Focker

Series 2 – 12” Scale Figures in Pilot Gear Suit
- Hikaru Ichijo (Rick Hunter)
- Maximillian Jenius (Max Sterling)
- Roy Focker "

Between these, the Sideshow Star Wars 1:6 line, and the Yamato Toys transformable Valkyries (Macross), my wallet is going to be in SEVERE pain this year. :monkey2 :monkey1 :lol :maul

First of all, welcome to the board Crasis. I am also a very big anime fan, but unlike you, my first anime experience was with Captain Tsubasa back in Germany. I am glad you like Macross because it is one of my favorites as well (pretty much all of them are). I never really liked robotech much but I am a huge Gundam as well as other Mecha anime fan. I have most of Miyazki's movies at home and I like all of them very much. My favorite movie of his is Laputa: Castle in the Sky.....just loved the graphics.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. :) I've been lurking around these parts since November, when I first discovered Sideshow Collectibles through the amazing Luke figure. This place has become one of my daily stops ever since. I tend to be a bit shy, however, which generally keeps me from posting all that often. I'm trying to correct this and come out of my shell a bit more... :D

carbo-fation -
Miyazaki is, hands-down, one of the most brilliant filmmakers alive today. I am always amazed by the depth of emotion, detail and incredible animation he packs into each and every film. Laputa and Nausicaä will always have a special place for me, as they were the first I saw from the director. Oh, and I'm thrilled to see another Macross fan around here! We seem to be a somewhat rare breed. I can't tell you how annoying it is to have to constantly explain to coworkers that the robot sitting at my desk is NOT Jetfire from Transformers, but Roy's VF-1S Valkyrie. :lol Have you seen the latest series in the franchise, Macross Zero? It's not available in the US yet (due to a nightmare of legal issues), but the animation in that series is absolutely incredible. And it's a prequel, so we get more Roy action. Woot! :chew

hairlesswookiee -
Akira is definitely a classic. My dream is to own Sideshow/Medicom-quality figures of Tetsuo and Kaneda some day. :monkey5 And I'm still new to Karas, but from the first volume, I'm hooked. I just pray they explain a few more things in the next dvd, since the plot is a tad on the vague/confusing side. :confused: :eek:

Last edited:

crasis said:
I can't tell you how annoying it is to have to constantly explain to coworkers that the robot sitting at my desk is NOT Jetfire from Transformers, but Roy's VF-1S Valkyrie. :lol Have you seen the latest series in the franchise, Macross Zero?

:rotfl :lol You can find downloads for it online. I haven't tried downloading it yet because I am behind on my anime. I need to finish 3 more series then I can start watching Macross Zero. Oh.....we have a board member who has the Kaneda figure. I think his name is Weapon X.

Last edited:

So what three series are you currently watching? I definitely know what you mean about needing to catch up though, as I'm still trying to plow through Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig, Samurai Champloo, Heat Guy J... the list goes on and on. :monkey3 :lol

I so need that Kaneda figure. :monkey5 :monkey5 I think Sideshow needs to start an "Icons of Anime" 1/6 line. :maul

crasis said:
So what three series are you currently watching? I definitely know what you mean about needing to catch up though, as I'm still trying to plow through Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig, Samurai Champloo, Heat Guy J... the list goes on and on. :monkey3 :lol

I so need that Kaneda figure. :monkey5 :monkey5 I think Sideshow needs to start an "Icons of Anime" 1/6 line. :maul
Crasis, just for you! Please review the Kaneda (Medicom) Jpegs on this url

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8256&page=7

:eek I checked your pics of Kaneda on the other page, and I just have to say WOW!!! If you don't mind my asking, just how did you manage to score one of those? I know there are only 300 or so in existence, so you must have paid some serious dough for him, no? :monkey2 :google :drool

Consider me incredibly jealous. :bow :lol

I am trying to finish Paranoia agent, Prince of Tennis, and Gantz. I am almost done with all three of them. I also watch many ongoing shows such as One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fate/Night Stay, Black Lagoon, Mushishi, and others (can't remember on top of my head). I've been wanting to see Karas as well but never got around to it. Def. on top of my list besides Macross.

that Macross Rick Hunter 1:6 is great looking. if i get into those i will wait for the series 2 flight suits they mentioned. right now im not really watching anime. i watch the weekly Naruto that comes out so i dont fall behind, but other than that im trying to watch all the Angel episodes since i havent watched any until a couple weeks ago. when i do i will pick up with Samurai 7, Ghost in the Shell second Gig and some other anime that i havent gotten around to.

~~~Adven Children is a great movie if you are looking for some cool stuff to watch. after a year of delays i think it is perfect!!!

okay...I love the show Trigun and thinking of getting the figs.

question: jazwares or kaiyodo?

Kaiyodo released the Black beast Gazelle but not sure is Jazwares did too? Any info on the size difference and material would be cool.

I HATE anime, screw anime, stupid anime. They keep anime, but cancel JLU. AHHHHHHHHH. Sorry, I'm just a little bitter than cartoon networks keeps 2500000 anime show, but cancels Justice League..... :( :( :( :(

congerking said:
I HATE anime, screw anime, stupid anime. They keep anime, but cancel JLU. AHHHHHHHHH. Sorry, I'm just a little bitter than cartoon networks keeps 2500000 anime show, but cancels Justice League..... :( :( :( :(

sorry about your show, but in the past two or three years Anime has picked up and the ratings are much higher than most "Western" shows. i wish they still had the old WB Batman show on--that was awesome.

congerking said:

i love anime and JLU. I didn't know CN canceled the show, that show was great. :monkey2

you know which show needs to get canceled, and this is just my opinion, the One piece show. :monkey4

Back