Aliens Remote Sentry Guns Headcount...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mudshark. I'm just checking in with you about this project. I really don't want it to die, being the HUGE ALIENS fan that I am! :wave

I still want one of these complete sentry gun kits.

Any more news for us?

I hope to hear from you soon.

I'm still "frosty", and I'll finally get to meet Michael Biehn in person on the 28th at the Wizard World Comic Con in New Orleans! :yess:

Mega-Bump!!!

Just checking in to keep this thread from passing into total oblivion. Still alive and still very much wanting to see this project finally happen one day. Getting involved with the Aliens Legacy board has helped a lot, but still have a few big hurdles to overcome regarding some critical details that I believe are too important to just "guesstimate".

Mike, sorry I haven't been around here for so long! Did you get to meet Michael Biehn at the comic con in New Orleans? I hope I get a chance to meet MB or any of the other Colonial Marines some day, too!

I did get to meet Lance Henriksen at Dragon Con 2011 in Atlanta last summer and had a friendly chat with him for about 10 min. or so. Really a great guy in person, like talking with an old friend. It was one of the most enjoyable and memorable events of the entire con for me. I got an autographed copy of his autobiography "Not Bad for a Human" and when I left he tossed in a huge photo of Bishop (upper half of him on cargo bay deck after Queenie tore him apart) which he signed and added "Dru... Help!" in a dialog balloon above his picture. Extremely cool souvenir of the Aliens 25th anniversary festivities last summer!

Stay frosty! :D :wave

Thanks! It's good to hear from you too, and especially that you're still hanging in there! I hope there are more people like you and Mike who are patiently biding their time until this thing is finally ready to happen. That kind of encouragement is more helpful than you may imagine!

Thanks! It's good to hear from you too, and especially that you're still hanging in there! I hope there are more people like you and Mike who are patiently biding their time until this thing is finally ready to happen. That kind of encouragement is more helpful than you may imagine!

I am one tenacious bastard.:)

Thats not fair. Everyone has their 1:1 lives to keep up with too.

Besides these will go great with the DVD release of the Aliens
remake. :D

so more than 5 years later who's "still on deck"?? ROFL :lol !!!!

I guess this project fell into the same lava filled crater that the Chris memorial figure did, huh?

While it's obvious that both of these projects are all but forgotten, I don't think the Chris figure project and this one have much in common besides that.

Your original idea for a collaboration of board members here to honor Chris by making a figure of him and presenting it to his wife was a good one, and of the best intentions. If it had come together in a timely way it very well could have achieved its purpose. As you mentioned in the project's thread a while back, the window of opportunity had likely already passed some time ago, since Chris's wife has undoubtedly moved on and it may no longer be appropriate to remind her of the loss by presenting her with the figure, even if it was completed. It was a noble idea that just wasn't meant to be it seems. A shame really, but there it is.

If anything has fallen into a "lava filled crater", as far as this project is concerned, it’s me! The sentry gun project had different beginnings, in fact Chris himself was initially involved when it was first proposed so many years ago. Paul (pjam), Angie, and several others including myself have/had put much more of our time and effort into it, only to have it come to a standstill. Most of that is on me, since I ended up holding the bag for completing the mechanical drawings Angie needed to begin sculpting the prototype model, but a couple of key people bailed early on for no apparent reason, including Chris, which didn't help matters. Anyway, I set out intending to blueprint the most screen accurate, detailed model I possibly could, and that's part of what caused the project to stall. The rest was personal stuff that's of no real concern to anyone but me.

That said, I haven't been in contact with either pjam or Angie in years, but I want to believe that they'd be willing to pick up where things left off when the time comes. DBoz was to do the graphics for the decals and markings on the guns. I contacted him a while back on the Aliens Legacy Forum and he said he was still interested in the project. I continue to research and look for more detailed information and reference materials to help fill in the blanks that are holding things up. Progress is slow, but since having met some of the well informed people on the AL Forum I've gotten much closer to finding what I need.

If you compare the quality of the figures Hot Toys made 5 years ago to what they are turning out today, there’s something to be said for taking the time to make needed improvements and to get things right. The HT Colonial Marines figure thread is still going strong after all these years, so I don’t think interest in an accurate 1:6 scale sentry gun model is dead. Even if some people have given up on it there will surely be others who will be interested later on. And who knows, Hot Toys may decide to revisit the Aliens license and make improved models of the Colonial Marines at some point.

People can think what they want, make jokes, whatever, it doesn't affect my thoughts or intentions at all. I don't believe this is a lost cause, in fact I believe the additional time this has taken has been a necessary part of the process, even though it wasn't expected.

Last edited:
I have always believed in this project, and I still do. I appreciate your honesty, and that is to be commended. I really haven't posted here on the board in a while. But this has always been a project I supported, and wanted to own a finely made remote sentry gun kit. I still hope to get one someday.

As HUGE of a fan of ALIENS that I am, and too hope that they revisit the marines. Yes, their quality of figure making has improved so much now, it would be great to see better, screen-accurate versions of them. I know fans have repeatedly asked Hot Toys to re-release the marines, and I've seen that they have heard our please online. Here's to hoping it actually happens. Honestly I'm tired of seeing too may Predators, and Iron Man figures. I think Hot Toys should do a type of fan-favorite most wanted figures. Corporal Hicks, Private Hudson, and an Ellen Ripley with better head sculpts on all of them. Yeah, I'd love to see Hot Toys do a great remote sentry gun kit too. Along with a 1/6 A.P.C. and a Dropship! How cool would that be? I mean now that they're cranking out the Batmobiles, and other 1/6 vehicle that fit the figures in them now.

I always hoped this project would come to fruition. I can understand the difficulty, and all of the "roadblocks" in the way. Don't blame yourself Mudshark! :wave

So do we need to move this private forum over when we move forums? This project is DEAD, no?

Hi Dave,

First of all I want to thank you for leaving this thread open for so long.

I believe pjam started it, and even though he hasn't posted here in years, I don't think he's ever suggested shutting it down, or written the project off completely, at least as far as I know. The fact that you've left it open all this time seems to me you've been willing to leave some room for hope as well.

While it's obvious the thread has gone ice cold, and many of the people who were originally on board have long since moved on, I believe there are still some, including myself, who continue to hope interest in this project can and will ignite again at some point, however slim the chances may seem at this time.

I can only speak for myself, but I would ask that you please keep this thread intact, and move it to the "PRIVATE - Custom Fan" forum, or wherever you think it should go. I can't see what harm it would do, and it'd at least keep a thin ray of hope alive for those of us who do still care about this project.

Interest in the Hot Toys Aliens Colonial Marine figures is still alive and well elsewhere on the board, and will likely be for some time. No doubt some people would be interested in the content of this thread if they too had access to it. Just a thought.

The final call is yours, but even if you do decide to kill the thread, I'd ask that you at least archive it somewhere, so that all the information and photos people have shared here are not lost to the community forever. Thanks for listening!

Have the original artists that wanted this to be quiet moved on too? In other words - could we make the project public? As you say - there could be others out there that want it.

And knowing Hot Toys - if they see a bootleg project has a lot of interest, they could decide to do it themselves...

Making it public might be the thing to do. Who knows what kind of talent has developed in the Almost 7 years this has gone nowhere that can actually make this happen.

Have the original artists that wanted this to be quiet moved on too? In other words - could we make the project public? As you say - there could be others out there that want it.

And knowing Hot Toys - if they see a bootleg project has a lot of interest, they could decide to do it themselves...

Well, the artist who was going to do the actual build of the prototype based on my drawings is still around. I got a message from her on the AL forum a while back. It'd been a few years since I'd heard from her, and she made no mention of this project.

I don't see what harm there'd be in asking her if she has any interest in seeing this project resurrected, or what she thinks about making the thread public, for others who may want it.

I have no idea if pjam is still interested in this or not. I know he put a lot of time into organizing it, but I haven't heard from him in ages. I could send him a PM and see what he thinks about it, too.

Hot Toys has made quantum leaps in R&D of their figures the past several years, but I honestly don't believe they'd get the details right, even if they did decide to make a sentry gun model. Gearbox had all sorts of privy information for developing Aliens Colonial Marines, but their sentry gun rendering was sadly lacking the details I was hoping to find to clarify a couple of things for me.

Making it public might be the thing to do. Who knows what kind of talent has developed in the Almost 7 years this has gone nowhere that can actually make this happen.

I agree with you Pitu, but I don't think it's ever been about talent. In all honesty, I don't think anyone has, or ever will have access to better data than what I got from Angie, not unless they happen to know James Cameron or somebody who built one of the original sentry gun props personally.

I know some extremely talented prop builders who've actually built full scale, motorized sentry guns, with sound effects and the works, just incredible stuff. But I still find details they got wrong, simply because their builds were based on approximations, not solid measurements.

It may be good enough for a vast majority of people who wouldn't even notice, but some figure collectors are a picky lot when it comes to detailing and screen accuracy. My sole intention was to make the most detailed & accurate plans possible, so we ended up with a sentry gun model kit that even the pickiest collector would be happy with.

One of the things that complicated this project from the start was that nobody really knew just how much progress I’d already made on this, because I couldn't share anything with the rest of you. Depending on what Angie says, maybe that all can change if this project gets a second chance. Better late than never...

It may be good enough for a vast majority of people who wouldn't even notice, but some figure collectors are a picky lot when it comes to detailing and screen accuracy. My sole intention was to make the most detailed & accurate plans possible, so we ended up with a sentry gun model kit that even the pickiest collector would be happy with.

Uh, do you read these forums - you will NEVER make everyone happy.

And given the time this has taken and the huge advances in 3D printing recently - I'd think this is something that could be done sooner rather than later if someone wanted to get it moving.

Uh, do you read these forums - you will NEVER make everyone happy.

And given the time this has taken and the huge advances in 3D printing recently - I'd think this is something that could be done sooner rather than later if someone wanted to get it moving.

Actually Dave, I really haven't had the time to read these or any other of my favorite forums like I used to, but of course you are absolutely right. In fact I've probably already made a lot of people unhappy, and they've never even had to spend a dime on this! :lol

You kind of make my point though. If we'd whipped out something that failed to meet even the average collector's expectations, how well would that have gone over? I've been around here long enough to have seen some very exciting and well-intended projects fail dismally for any number of reasons. I didn't want to see that happen with this one. That said, reasons aside, I don't think this project failed, it simply never got off the ground as we'd all hoped and expected years ago.

The recent wonders of 3D printing aside, somebody still has to provide the basic designs, and how good a 3D printed object turns out largely depends on it. I've had some experience with providing data to others for 3D printed projects, and there are limitations to the process, not to mention high costs.

I honestly don't know, but I have a pretty good idea that a model this complex would not only be extremely difficult to produce by that method, but it would also be prohibitively expensive. I think the resin and die cast metal proposal is still the best way to go.

One other thing that came to mind as I spent some time getting reacquainted with everything that's changed here was in the forum dealing with custom figures and head sculpts of licensed properties. Alien & Aliens-related goods were clearly on the "off limits" list for FOX properties.

When this project was first proposed back in 2007, Chris Chulamanis and the artist he worked closely with in producing his Colonial Marines figure customizing kits were both approached to make this happen. Chris later backed out for some unexplained reason and suggested we keep this project quiet. One might assume he was concerned about possible repercussions from Fox. Unfortunately we'll never know, but I'm pretty sure this is something that should remain under the radar if it does get moved to another forum.

I'd really love to see this project move forward again, but only if the final product turned out to be worth all the effort some of us have put into it already. I'll do what I can to find out if pjam, and especially Angie still have any interest in this project, and whether or not they're willing to give it another shot. I believe they both deserve that much after all this time.

Back