Alien Quadrilogy on Blu Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally! Can't wait for it to come out!
I hope the transfer is better than Predator.

I think Alien will look similar to the quality of some of the top shelf restored films like Blade Runner and 2001 because the directors cut of that movie on DVD looks fantastic.
Aliens is the film I have my doubts over. Fox didn't really put a whole lot of love into the restoration of Predator, it looks very grainy and the sound mix is terrible. Watch it then a movie like Hellboy 2 - now that is how guns should sound....
Since Alien 3 and Resurrection don't get much love I'm expecting the same from their treatment but both should be decent.
I hope Fux pulls out all the stops, but the way they have treated the franchise lately really just gives them another chance to wipe their arse with it and release another version later.

I've been waiting for this release since I converted to bluray two years ago. I'm not totally knowledgeable about the different types of transfers, but I really hope they don't skimp on the resolution. What I mean is some blurays of older movies I have bought look just like the DVD, or what my bluray player would do with a DVD when upsampling. I'm sure that's not going to happen with this release, right? It's nice to hear there will be so many extras included. I can not wait to watch Alien for the first time on bluray. I love all of the first three films, but Alien is my all time favorite film.

Ditto.

Hope they can dig up some more special features specifically for ALIEN.

I think Alien will look similar to the quality of some of the top shelf restored films like Blade Runner and 2001 because the directors cut of that movie on DVD looks fantastic.
Aliens is the film I have my doubts over. Fox didn't really put a whole lot of love into the restoration of Predator, it looks very grainy and the sound mix is terrible. Watch it then a movie like Hellboy 2 - now that is how guns should sound....
Since Alien 3 and Resurrection don't get much love I'm expecting the same from their treatment but both should be decent.
I hope Fux pulls out all the stops, but the way they have treated the franchise lately really just gives them another chance to wipe their arse with it and release another version later.

Aliens looks terrible on DVD, hope they do a good job with the grainy transfer.

it's funny I think it was my first blu-ray too. (although it might have been The Dark Knight). It's incredible that a film made in 1967 or something can look so unbelievably amazing. It's just flawless, both in film quality, visual effects and blu-ray transfer. True reference quality.

I was just thinking I saw one problem with some matting around one of the ships in 2001 while in earth orbit, but then I realized, that was Star Trek. I think the bluray of Wrath of Khan has this terribly exaggerated matting around the Enterprise or another ship that just totally stripped me out of the movie, into critique-ville. I wondered why that could not have been fixed for an audience who has so lavishly spent a ton of money on the franchise over the decades.

Ditto.

Hope they can dig up some more special features specifically for ALIEN.

Nice to have a fellow die-hard Alien fan around. There's a lot of love for Aliens here, but for me nothing beats the original. And, I discovered it after Aliens in 1987. I must have made my mother rent Alien for me twenty or so times. And I too am most looking forward to more features concerning Alien. Perhaps a commentary with Giger himself, at least for key scenes. I could listen to the man talk about anything. He is awesome.

:rotfl

Just watched Alien, such an awesome movie! I will definitely rebuy 1 and 2 on blu if they release them individually. But my SD Quadrilogy will do for the others since I never watch them. Alien looked pretty good in close-ups with up-res-ing-ish, but anytime there was movement in distance shots, you could see lots of artifacting. So Blu will be a definite improvement in that regard. Although I expect 1-3 will all be pretty noisy (lots of grain) since shot on older cameras and in dim lighting. Can't wait to see for myself!

Agreed, the transfer for an American Werewolf in London is amazing.
I'd like to think they've held off as they've done a proper job on it as Alien is one of Fox's flagship properties. Plus the fact that they've recorded all new commentaries nods to a step in the right direction.

Hi everyone. New to the board but I've been lurking for a while.

I'm really excited about this set and am dying to see it released. I'm always up for Alien-related extras and it sounds like this will be full of them.

I used to run an Alien site at 8thpassenger.com that might be the subject of one of the extras. Unfortunately my site crashed and I lost everything, but before that happened I was working with a guy to get some of my information on the set in a "collectibles" feature on the set. He has all my pics, but with the site gone now I have no idea if he intends to use them. What really sucks is, I lost all his contact information so I have *zero* idea what his plans are and no way to contact him. I can't even remember his last name. :( Guess we'll see later in the year, huh? :)

John

Back