A New Hope Han!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
problem solved Paul, my good man! :) PM box empt-eh!

Justin- I use so much reference it's ridiculous! :D My final decision pended on Drew Struzan's messy awesome painting of Han (which is based on the shot that people are posting side by side with the Han figure) I don't know if you've seen it before. very yellow background, and Han is shadowy and awesome. It's strange, I suppose, but Drew is often where I turn to for these characters. not for details, but for spirit. his work is synonymous with Star Wars for me. for Ben, I had Drew's amazing grey colored paper drawing as my wallpaper(a drawing that's included on his Star Wars CD portfolio, where Guinness is looking down...it's beautiful!)

I do often times get to use archived photos for these, but they often don't help any more than low quality common shots. My greatest luck comes from the films themselves. just taking about 800 screen caps and studying the character intently. that's when you notice how often a person changes from film to film, (sometimes scene to scene!) Han's hair is very elusive, but not near as much as his face!

Of course, I always wish I could just have ONE more chance to redo a sculpture. :) You only truly learn in hindsight, unfortunately.

Trev

Now only if Sideshow would give us boots that look like those. I like the wrinkle at the ankle.

The ones that came with Kroenen are pretty nice. The opening looks accurate to the real boots. Don't know why they didn't just keep using those instead of making something that wasn't accurate and looked worse.

obi-wan drawing by Drew Struzan (1024X768 wallpaper size):

https://www.sycophant.net/trevorgrove/obiwan_wallpaper.jpg

d%20star%20wars051.jpg

*gasp!* That Obi-Wan wallpaper is BEAUTIFUL! If that's what you based the figure off of, then it's no small wonder it turned out so well! Augh, I can't wait anymore! I want Old Ben NOW!!!

I have no doubt that a repaint will totally bring out of the likeness in Han. Thank you Trev for the insight! I wish more Sideshow artists would choose to participate in these forums.

obi-wan drawing by Drew Struzan (1024X768 wallpaper size):

https://www.sycophant.net/trevorgrove/obiwan_wallpaper.jpg

d%20star%20wars051.jpg

Thanks Trev, that Han piece does add quite a lot to a simple publicity still, and great choice with Old Ben, it's quite clear why your Ben is more than just a good sculpt but one with character in it, you referred to a great source. Not only are you talented at sculpting, but wise in your methods. One last off topic comment, I love that picture of Old Ben, and I think it's amazing how much you can see Ewan McGreggor in that particular shot, great stuff.

For reference, here's the Bespin Han preview image and the original Prototype figure shot used to make it.

BHP1.jpg

BHP2.jpg

I'm really wondering if the regular images might even look better, nevermind the paint apps. Look how different, especially the eyes, the paint job looks in the two images, the regular shot was photoshopped into the preview image and some color and lighting changes had to be done on it because they're not identical.

haha! That's a good point Kevin. I think it's just really easy for all of us to forget the human hands behind these things. I do it too with other companies...

The painters at Sideshow are awesome guys and really extraordinary craftsmen and artists. I REALLY enjoy how they paint up the stuff I sculpt. For me, that's often the cherry on top.

Sean- Yeah, you gotta love what Drew can do when he adds his spin to any simple publicity still. He can really stir up your emotion for a character.

Trev

I stand by my statement. A good paintjob should accentuate the likeness, not alter it.

Sorry but that statement is borne from ignorance.

Have you seen Les' work? He can take a generic female sculpt and turn it into Sigourney Weaver in Aliens 3. Why? Because he paints the likeness on the sculpt. He took my Jedi Luke and didn't just paint it. He painted the face to reflect a specific moment in Jabba's palace.

A good paint job can either accentuate the likeness OR it can alter it.

A great painter can do both and a great paint job should do both.

I'm really wondering if the regular images might even look better, nevermind the paint apps. Look how different, especially the eyes, the paint job looks in the two images, the regular shot was photoshopped into the preview image and some color and lighting changes had to be done on it because they're not identical.

I brought that point up about yesterday but it was lost amid the josh vs. chavez crapola. :pow

I stand by my statement. A good paintjob should accentuate the likeness, not alter it.

Just so we're clear, its not the opinion I was so much referring to, but how it was stated. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to state how you did just now is totally fine. I just feel statements similar to the ones I quoted previously aren't constructive.

Sorry but that statement is borne from ignorance.

Have you seen Les' work? He can take a generic female sculpt and turn it into Sigourney Weaver in Aliens 3. Why? Because he paints the likeness on the sculpt. He took my Jedi Luke and didn't just paint it. He painted the face to reflect a specific moment in Jabba's palace.

A good paint job can either accentuate the likeness OR it can alter it.

A great painter can do both and a great paint job should do both.

Totally agree Pix. If the paint job is pretty crappy it will kill even the best sculpt.

Just so we're clear, its not the opinion I was so much referring to, but how it was stated. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to state how you did just now is totally fine. I just feel statements similar to the ones I quoted previously aren't constructive.

Not to be dense, but are you the actual painter that painted the Han prototype? By any chance did you paint the prototypes of ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan as well?

Back