3A HALO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started customizing him. I didn't like the height of the shoulder armorial as it left his rubber shoulder too exposed. It also stuck out and made him look fatter.

BEFORE
37b12edbe08d8ccec0159bb1523d0fe9.jpg

AFTER
c880256a9b15346a10e847a4b0bd08ed.jpg

I bought some high end magnets for $6 from the craft store which included 6 of them. Took off the original armorial and bent it slightly to loosen the inner plastic plate with magnet on it. Pried off easily with a knife.
e13943fbfee255e5969db6434b83559e.jpg

The armorial without the plate.
c5178793fb4ae3ae121e57227f1f0d46.jpg

Glued on the new magnet.
d31e073ed7041acf05aa509389ae7b37.jpg

All complete
e3c4a29c2fa0171099c73e3683f11d35.jpg
70b8a5149b7d72cf6ec8e47e47ae1f98.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Both Spartans have released in HK now. The moment of truth. I'll be picking mine up either today or tomorrow.....dreading since I could not cancel this at all after the MC fiasco.

Anyways, it is strange that no one received theirs through the bambaland store shipping method first???

Thanks for that Crazydragon. I have now done this to mine. I also removed the two black parts on his hips. Makes a world of difference to the proportions. I'll try a magnet mod to the back or weapons next. Some new hands would make this perfectly acceptable for me, as i don't do dynamic poses with rubber suits. Not perfect but acceptable.

004_1_zpss2gsohqs.jpg

Did some more customizing with paint and silver sharply weathering effects. I repainted using the prescribed citadel paints in black. It was too plain by itself so I used a silvery sharply weathering technique where I marker the bristles if a brush let dry for 10 seconds and brush on key areas of highlight on the figures I did keep midsection darker as it looked too much and ended up repainting it black there. The chest striations I also repainted black I'm the muscle creases for a more musculature look.
14b676f1a0ed6bf2aac3f6aa2f55991c.jpg
090d95d9354037746094ad357a18ff4b.jpg
454e69ca401d1d2987404851d52754ef.jpg

I also did the silver sharply weather on upper bodybsrmornajd kneepads for a more preferable look.
3c8516e68dce0af71396160902b472bd.jpg
b21e306ec215a31df559689e28116659.jpg
b406693753d78464ae8c235c38963a2b.jpg

Thanks for that Crazydragon. I have now done this to mine. I also removed the two black parts on his hips. Makes a world of difference to the proportions. I'll try a magnet mod to the back or weapons next. Some new hands would make this perfectly acceptable for me, as i don't do dynamic poses with rubber suits. Not perfect but acceptable.

004_1_zpss2gsohqs.jpg
Looking good

Thanks. I like the repaint of the suit you did.

I was thinking about taking the armor off, putting stronger magnets in the back to hold the weapons, and then black wash the suit, or something similar.
I was looking for photos of people who did I dismantle on Facebook but couldn't find it. If you attempt it take some photos I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Looking at the jet packs it looks like it might be possible to get a hatch open or something but kinda risky when it's a 300 figure.

Did some more customizing with paint and silver sharply weathering effects. I repainted using the prescribed citadel paints in black. It was too plain by itself so I used a silvery sharply weathering technique where I marker the bristles if a brush let dry for 10 seconds and brush on key areas of highlight on the figures I did keep midsection darker as it looked too much and ended up repainting it black there. The chest striations I also repainted black I'm the muscle creases for a more musculature look.
That looks great. Any worries that the paint might crack while moving the suit though?

Keep up the good work guys.

Crazydragon, no need to take everything apart.

I just checked where all the magnets are simply by dropping some 6mm x 1mm magnets on the back and weapons.

If you want to stick the weapons to the back, just pop two magnets on the back, and then pop the weapon on. Obviously the ideal solution would be under the armor, but i it's not worth it to me, as you can't see em, and you can pop em on and off as you please. Simple quick fix.

Makes me mad though. Which idiot at ThreeA couldn't work out a slightly stronger magnet would do the job. Complete lack of common sense.

I agree a simple set of molded gun hands would have made this much less of a disaster. If 3A really cared, they would have some made and sent out tot hose who bought this figure as a gesture of goodwill.

I also want to play around with stronger magnets on the back. I just have to get off my ass and do it.

I could get the weapons to cling to his back (except the lightrifle, what a useless piece of **** on all levels but a standalone gun), and I could even get it so that they're not stuck straight up and looking terrible back there. They're at the proper angle.

If you touched him, or if anything remotely transfers energy to the shelf he's on, they WILL fall off, and he WILL fall over. I could not get this mother****er to stand by himself for the life of me. And I'm not willing to use a stand.

All these mods are awesome but I have poor vision and can't do the detail work like painting etc. I will do the magnets on the back since it is the easiest.
It is great to see people work around poor designs from companies that don't care about Q.C. and fans / customers.

Picked my Thorne up already. Looking to post some unboxing photos for you all later tonight.

The truth will be known then.

All these mods are awesome but I have poor vision and can't do the detail work like painting etc. I will do the magnets on the back since it is the easiest.
It is great to see people work around poor designs from companies that don't care about Q.C. and fans / customers.

You don't have to paint anything if you don't want to. The magnets on the back are simple to do and i would do that for sure.

Picked my Thorne up already. Looking to post some unboxing photos for you all later tonight.

The truth will be known then.

Can't wait to see that. If he holds the weapons, then it looks like i'll be in the market for some Thorne hands. Hopefully ThreeA might consider letting the odd pair go to a worthy cause..................................

The recent pics of the new Spartans showed them having very similar gripping issues. I would bet if anything was fixed at all, it wasn't the hands.

Main concerns for me are

1) Does it stand on its own without using supports
2) Can he hold weapons with one AND two hands
3) Are the magnets strong enough AND placed correctly in the related areas
4) They can trim the fat off the suit but will this make it better overall.

Im thinking the hands will be same just like all other previous releases upto carter. Consistency (with problems) is their motto. lol

Back