3A - 1/6 & 1/12 Judge Dredd Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered Apocalypse War Dredd...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.O.'d War Dredd as well.
I've only read a few Dredd's stories, i've never seen him wear the rad cloak as depicted by 3A (exposed eagle and pauldron over cloak), just wondering if that was based on a comics storyline or artwork.

I've been googling comic art pics but found only one, of him wearing a white cloak... not the poncho type.
Would appreciate any info on this... thanks!

Dredd in disguise... interesting!
So 3A took some artistic liberties with the cloaked look. 10 years in the Iso-Cube!!!

Hi all, 40 year Dredd reader so hopefully i can offer a little clarity on some of the points above.

The Apocalypse war is an epic Dredd storyline originally printed in the early 1980's. It ran for half a year on a weekly basis in 2000AD. Notable at the time for being drawn by a single artist, Carlos Ezquerra (Dredd's co-creator).

I'm afraid the radcloak has absolutely nothing to do with "the Apocalypse war" storyline and i have no idea why it's included with the figure (though it is a nice accessory). He did wear a sort of hazmat suit at one point in the story but the radcloak didn't really appear until 20 years later.

The long gun the figure comes with is the "stub-gun", which is an Apocalypse war story specific weapon. It's an extremely powerful weapon that can cut tanks in two, the only downside being that it overheats and has a tendency to explode, killing the user. Dredd and the other mega city judges use them as a last resort as they are fighting a desperate guerilla war against a much larger, overwhelming, invading Soviet army.

The picture of Dredd above is from the storyline and is actually dredd disguised as a Soviet judge (hence the helmet). The cloak he is throwing off is part of the sov uniform, not the radcloak that the figure comes with.

Last thing I would also point out is that Dredd's uniform has always been black, never blue. The blue colour you will see on some of the comic drawings was used to highlight the uniform at a time of limited colour printing. Carlos tends to colour it with grey or white highlights in more recent years. It is officially on record that Dredd's uniform is black. They were originally designed as motor bike leathers as dredd was conceived as a bike cop.

I like the cloak and the stub gun, but for me the standard version is the definitive dredd in a Brian Bolland (legendary dredd artist) style. Dredd is a comic strip known for the fact that it lets its numerous artists draw their own take on the look of the uniform. Depictions of the character can therefore vary greatly from artist to artist. Carlos Ezquerra draws Dredd very, very differently to Bolland.....but the "Apocalypse Dredd" is oddly in the Bolland style (which makes no sense in this context). Don't get me wrong, the Apocalypse dredd looks absolutely lovely, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the storyline it's name references EXCEPT for the inclusion of the stub gun.

Hope that all helps.

Both figures look absolutely fantastic by the way and I can't wait to get mine!

Ps. If you've never read any Dredd, do yourself a favour and pick up a copy of "Judge Dredd the complete case files". Start at book 5 first (which includes the Apocalypse war). Some of the early books are a bit clunkier and this is the ideal starting point for classic quality Dredd. It's some of the best comics ever printed and you won't regret it! This series of books prints a whole year of Dredd stories in each book amd aims to print every Dredd story in......still a way to go yet!
Such a unique character who has actually aged in "real time" over the last 40 years. The character in now in his 70's.

Oh, one last thing....

To the best of my knowledge Dredd has NEVER been depicted in the history of the comic strip wearing shoulder armour over the top of a rad cloak, that's just plain weird. The cloak ALWAYS covers the armour.

Oh, one last thing....

To the best of my knowledge Dredd has NEVER been depicted in the history of the comic strip wearing shoulder armour over the top of a rad cloak, that's just plain weird. The cloak ALWAYS covers the armour.

I doubt anyone would display him like that anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard it had been bumped back to late July/early August, but that was a while ago, so no idea if that still stands.

5b8fb7d17e8727010b3c9033749c2089.jpg

9febbd3a0175c3996819934991b165a3.jpg

747df5b6edfb7c259814f981239ae3bf.jpg

Really cool. I was going to PO this but baulked 'cause my budget was tight. It's my favourite version of Dredd.

No a a few UK sellers will have them in stock by September 10th give or take as i ordered 2 Dredd's and they have both had that info.

No a a few UK sellers will have them in stock by September 10th give or take as i ordered 2 Dredd's and they have both had that info.

Yeah... I'm UK too... I guess ID Toys will be first to ship...

I ordered from Sideshow as I had loads of reward points to use...

Guess it's going to be a lot longer for me... :mad:

Back