3000 Han Solo's ???? Is that all!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread certainly deserves a dancing wookie! :chew :chew :chew

C'mon SW fans, you guys need to help Lucas buy another yacht!!!

:lol:lol:lol This thread is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. Oh and word has it that SSC IS dropping the SW line to focus on Bobbleheads.

What, this is an actual thread? I thought it was a joke! Sideshow is making bank off of the Star Wars license, they could make Cantina drunk-alien #372 and they'd still get the better end of the deal. The reason they do so well is because they make Endor troopers and Bib Fortunas--people want to see them! At least I do. Sideshow is a marketing genius; to mix in the Star Wars nobodies with the main stars has made theirs the THE line to collect because it's the most diverse, the most unpredictable, and the most well-done. At least, that's coming from my point of view. Feel free to disagree, of course, but honestly, by lowering the edition size for Han, especially when he's so highly anticipated, they're going to sit back and enjoy as his secondary value skyrockets out of control.

Oh, those clever geniuses . . .

I am not sure how anyone would see a reduce edition size on Han and assume the end of the line is near.

I have also heard that SS is being more picky with their accnts that they sell figures to.....

What I immediatly saw with all of this is that Sideshow perceived as many of us did: secondary characters (and some main) flooding the market: Sideshow retailers reducing Boush Leias or Endor Soldiers down to $35 to sell out OR some chains that carry Sideshow, such as Hastings, just sat due to price or over-availability.

SO,

It seems that Sideshow is very much taking steps to make sure the line stays collectible AND as a result of that, people will start buying figures again. If I saw a $60 Han at Sideshow and $45 at one of the online retailers, there are many that sit there and say 'I'll wait for it to be even less expensive' and the whole 'spoiled collector' mentality comes into play. We all would love to get something for almost nothing and if I see every online retailer not selling their two Endor Figures, I may tell myself that if I wait a year, they may be 50-75% off the price, but then that BODES disaster from a Sideshow perspective.

Sideshow is finally being smart with this line - for a bit there, I saw these 6000-7000 numbers as corporate greed, so I applaud them for making my ANH Han collectible AND with the improved paint quality, I feel like I am getting something special (once again).

So, Homer, with all due respect, the line is no where near coming to an end with this improved-in-strategy marketing approach.
Cool. It took 25 replies, but at least a reasoned answer.:lol I tend to agree with you, but I wonder at what point and what edition number these become unprofitable. I hope they continue, because believe it or not I've got most of them and collect them. But I want to collect the whole Star Wars 'family' which off course includes the likes of 3PO/Vader/Armoured Troopers, and the longer we go without any hint of these the more I worry that they never will be done.

With all due rescept, I moaned last year that they were releasing to many 3rd rate characters to early in the line, and the fact that the edition numbers have dropped for major characters to 3000, might suggest I had a point. Sideshow obviosuly did their sums on selling 7-10,000 of each character when they brought the license, so for a core characters edtion to go so low, it just a concern, they are obviosuly not selling the volume they expected.

Hopefully this will make these more collectable, but as I said the Star Wars License probably costs more than the others Sideshow do put together, and with only having 3000 regular pieces, this would suggest lesser figures, may only have an edition of 1000-2000 and at these levels is it profitable for Sideshow.

You can all have your snide digs, but I thought the reason of a forum is to discuss things, or do you only like threads that guess the next figure, show thousands of pictures of the same figure standing in various kitchens around the world, or telling everyone who's got what!!

Last edited:
...do you only like threads that guess the next figure, show thousands of pictures of the same figure standing in various kitchens around the world, or telling everyone who's got what!!

Well ... yeah. :lol When I want serious discussion, I discuss election issues, or the reasons behind the latest conflicts in Africa, or how I can help my company's advertising people rake in more dough. I come to this forum precisely to unwind, have fun, and, along with fellow fiends, to pat each other on the back for having such cool toys. :D

Discuss the maybes, why, why-nots, and cost-effectiveness of Sideshow's marketing strategy all you want. We're still talking about toys.

Just as a weird sidenote-- what are you doing on a site where SIDESHOW's biggest fans (ie freaks) discuss positively (and sometimes critically) their love for their hobby when you say that you are not a fan?

I'm going to pop over to the New England Patriots website and tell them (in the fan forum) how much they suck since I don't like them. Love the logic.:rotfl
Err, where did I say I'm not a fan. Have a go, but at least stick to the fact. I said I don't claim to be Sideshow biggest fan. I'm a fan, otherwise I wouldn't collect their stuff, but that doesn't mean I have to slap them on the back over everything they do. I for one thought that the Obi Wan just released (both Obi Wans for that matter) are simply stunning. I thought Leia was crap, but doesn't mean I'm not a fan of Sideshow. I certainly think there far more great figures in this line than crap ones. I just think they could do things better in some cases, and I would imagine some would agree, due to the fact they are obviously not selling the edtion numbers, for what ever reason, they were this time last year.

Time will tell if the next few releases announced next week will have larger or smaller edtion sizes. Sure they may be using the Han Solo edtion number to try and make these figures more collectable, but the fact they are having to do that suggests they haven't got it spot on in the past.

As I said, I hope the suceeds and goes on for years, as I for one would like to see most of the characters done (I would love to get a Sideshow figure for each of the orginal 80s Kenner 3 3/4 inch Figures as well as probably the same amount for the prequels and hope we do), but it's just a topic I thought I would put up for debate, and see what people thought, but as usual a few post reasoned replies, most of which I agree with, and everyone else who just slags anyone off who dares maybe not to kiss Sideshows arse at every chance they get.:monkey5:monkey5:D Anyone for Bossk?

Well ... yeah. :lol When I want serious discussion, I discuss election issues, or the reasons behind the latest conflicts in Africa, or how I can help my company's advertising people rake in more dough. I come to this forum precisely to unwind, have fun, and, along with fellow fiends, to pat each other on the back for having such cool toys. :D

Discuss the maybes, why, why-nots, and cost-effectiveness of Sideshow's marketing strategy all you want. We're still talking about toys.
:lol:lol:lol

I understand their decision to switch to more profitable licenses.
Making all the Star Wars characters would have taken them many years.
If the end is nearing, I hope they they release a 5th version of Luke.

G.I. J.O.E.--"Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity"

A Real <strike>American</strike> International Hero!!!

I wonder what the edition sizes will be on the first few figures in that line...

I'm very confident that SSC is in the black on each figure after the exclusives have sold out.

G.I. J.O.E.--"Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity"

A Real <strike>American</strike> International Hero!!!

I wonder what the edition sizes will be on the first few figures in that line...

And with that politically correct change, they managed to destroy another bastion of Americana. Oh well... :rolleyes:

What's next?

SUPERMAN: "Standing for Truth, Justice and the United Nations' way!"

I think Simpson is just sad his last predictions of demise haven't come about yet... have you met Chavez? I think you guys would get along well.

Seriously, no one else is concerned that they're selling less figures?

I don't know about all the other licenses that SS has made 12" figures for in the past, how many of each Buffy or Highlander were available? If I remember, the LOTR figures had around 2500 total between the regular & exclusives. It will be interesting to see the edition size of the ANH Luke since there is obviously more interest in that figure.

Oh and Homer, I think you meant to say "expect" rather than "except" several times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back