3.75" Collecting Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Luke figure but they didn't give him the Lightsaber hilt and he is holding it on the card. I need the Dr. Aphra from this wave.

35 years after ROTJ and we finally get a new Luke Skywalker figure on a Kenner card from a new film. The prototype had saber tossing arm action but a choking accident caused by a similar toy prompted them to cancel that feature at the last minute.

VC131-Luke-Skywalker-The-Vintage-Collection-Hasbro-011.jpg

I really hate the film but damn! That figure on the vintage card really sends me back :love

I really hate the film but damn! That figure on the vintage card really sends me back :love

I believe that's precisely the intended effect.:monkey3

And yet - I would argue that it's presentations/products like this - "forced" meldings of classic SW iconography with new SW creations that are... let's say "divisive"... that powers a lot of the extreme toxicity that infects discussion about TLJ. The idea the controversial new should be held in equal esteem with the accepted old.

But then I recall this in the PT days - picking up books that had OT stuff at the start and PT in the last third (or vice versa in that "prequel" way) and feeling a little uneasy about it - despite liking some of the PT designs.

I believe that's precisely the intended effect.:monkey3

And yet - I would argue that it's presentations/products like this - "forced" meldings of classic SW iconography with new SW creations that are... let's say "divisive"... that powers a lot of the extreme toxicity that infects discussion about TLJ. The idea the controversial new should be held in equal esteem with the accepted old.

But then I recall this in the PT days - picking up books that had OT stuff at the start and PT in the last third (or vice versa in that "prequel" way) and feeling a little uneasy about it - despite liking some of the PT designs.

I have similar feelings that go all the way back to the SE's which to me was even worse. New "Making Of" and art books that inserted SE revisions and CGI as if that's what the OT was all along. With regard to non-OT figures on Kenner cards, I'm honestly all for it. I even like the PT figures on Kenner cards. I think that Hasbro *never* should have altered the card designs of the figures, going back to 1999 and possibly even 1995.

I have similar feelings that go all the way back to the SE's which to me was even worse. New "Making Of" and art books that inserted SE revisions and CGI as if that's what the OT was all along. With regard to non-OT figures on Kenner cards, I'm honestly all for it. I even like the PT figures on Kenner cards. I think that Hasbro *never* should have altered the card designs of the figures, going back to 1999 and possibly even 1995.

:exactly:

But there were bigger problems in 1995 than altered card designs...

star-wars-luke-skywalker-x-wing-pilot-potf-collection-1995-hasbro-3-75-inch-action-figure-johannesburg-south-africa-oobakool_361.jpg

4612649.jpg

Very true, lol. Don't know what they were thinking with those body proportions. They had largely come to their senses by about 1997 I believe though.

Very true, lol. Don't know what they were thinking with those body proportions. They had largely come to their senses by about 1997 I believe though.

Yeah, I guess it was a trend in the early 1990's.

It was like everyone had testosterone treatments, and I do mean EVERYONE... :lol

potf2leiaface.jpg

Yeah, I guess it was a trend in the early 1990's.

It was like everyone had testosterone treatments, and I do mean EVERYONE... :lol

potf2leiaface.jpg

Yep, Carrie Fisher herself even laughed about that figure on Jay Leno when the SE's were released. Their Slave Leia that was released shortly after was a home run though.

25657072471_f067b459c0_b.jpg

For the time. You forgot to add 'for the time'. :lol

Back then I was just overjoyed to see Star Wars figures being made again. I was too young for the original vintage line and my brothers had lost or destroyed almost everything they had.

Yeah I suppose with regard to the near life-like sculpts that they are capable of kicking out now. But since I grew up with original Kenner I've always been fine with the charm of the more simplified vintage aesthetic. Just not that He-Man crap, lol.

Back then I was just overjoyed to see Star Wars figures being made again. I was too young for the original vintage line and my brothers had lost or destroyed almost everything they had.

Yeah I suppose with regard to the near life-like sculpts that they are capable of kicking out now. But since I grew up with original Kenner I've always been fine with the charm of the more simplified vintage aesthetic. Just not that He-Man crap, lol.

People always seem to forget that the POTF mid eighties line had some decent sculpt figures by modern standards - Lando General, Amanaman, A-wing pilot, EV9D9 plus even a few from ROTJ assortments (I still like vintage Kenner Klaatu and Ackbar) were equal or superior to the mid 90's stuff a decade later. I mean in terms of "accuracy."

I agree newer isn't always better, I just happen to think it is in the case of Slave Leia and certainly any of the initial POTF2 figures.

POTJ had some very good figures that I don't think have been or will be bettered by later updates. Bespin Escape Leia for example - the only problem with that figure is the arms and legs being largely pre-posed. Just aswell that it was a good pose though, apt for running through the halls of Cloud City shooting at Stormtroopers. She also had a good headsculpt which I think could only be disimproved if they added a ball joint, which they likely would.

I agree newer isn't always better, I just happen to think it is in the case of Slave Leia and certainly any of the initial POTF2 figures.

POTJ had some very good figures that I don't think have been or will be bettered by later updates. Bespin Escape Leia for example - the only problem with that figure is the arms and legs being largely pre-posed. Just aswell that it was a good pose though, apt for running through the halls of Cloud City shooting at Stormtroopers. She also had a good headsculpt which I think could only be disimproved if they added a ball joint, which they likely would.

Yeah, that late 90's to mid 2000's (maybe 1998 to 2008) really was the new golden age of 3 3/4" SW. Great sculpts, some great choices and then super articulated came in as standard around 2004 or so, and all for about $5 at most retail.

I'd have to say the vehicles got amazing in the mid-2000's onward though. Some great reissues (I still have the reissued Shuttle Tydrium) plus the TIE Bomber is my all-time fave 3 3/4" vehicle other than the new sculpt Snowspeeder and ATST.

Most of my vehicles are in storage, I hope and pray they haven't gotten warped out of shape as can happen with TIEs and X-wings etc.

A vehicle release I loved was the Dagobah X-wing, the one that came with the swamp weed that draped over various parts - really cool idea. And you're right the TIE bomber was very well done.

The only ones I currently have access to are the BMF, BAT-AT, new sculpt snowspeeder and the Cloud car. Everything else is in storage, just don't have the room unfortunately.

Most of my vehicles are in storage, I hope and pray they haven't gotten warped out of shape as can happen with TIEs and X-wings etc.

A vehicle release I loved was the Dagobah X-wing, the one that came with the swamp weed that draped over various parts - really cool idea. And you're right the TIE bomber was very well done.

The only ones I currently have access to are the BMF, BAT-AT, new sculpt snowspeeder and the Cloud car. Everything else is in storage, just don't have the room unfortunately.

Yeah, I only take them out periodically - 1/6 takes up all my space (only really SW/Indy plus also Terminator prop stuff I designed.)

The Dago X-wing is still near top of my list - still have it. The weed affect looks great. And yeah, the new sculpt Cloud Car is very cool too. The reg TIEs are tough - the wings are so huge.

Hasbro gets a lot of flak, but wow, do they do an amazing job with the vehicles (and obviously about 1/3 of the figures are superb, it's just the other 2/3 that people freak out over.)

What interesting about most 3 3/4" vehicles is that that they are in perfect scale with the somewhat shortlived "Unleashed" 2" figures which I have a few Hoth sets of. I really like those pieces - the Unleashed Hoth turret is perfectly in scale with the 3 3/4" ATAT and ATST.

I have a buddy who must have every 3 3/4" vehicle made since 1995 all displayed, both PT and OT, plus many variants (all the gunships etc.) It is just nuts how many pieces there are.

Yeah, that late 90's to mid 2000's (maybe 1998 to 2008) really was the new golden age of 3 3/4" SW. Great sculpts, some great choices and then super articulated came in as standard around 2004 or so, and all for about $5 at most retail.

I'd have to say the vehicles got amazing in the mid-2000's onward though. Some great reissues (I still have the reissued Shuttle Tydrium) plus the TIE Bomber is my all-time fave 3 3/4" vehicle other than the new sculpt Snowspeeder and ATST.

For me personally it was the period of 07 - 12 that really impressed me. There was the odd brilliant moment like the Dagobah X-Wing, Ephant Mon, amongst some fabulous early molded stuff that was improved upon in later releases.

Some of the mass produced stuff though from Comic Packs to new sculpted classics were works of art. The Rancor, AT-ST, Snowspeeder, A-Wing, BMF etc just blew me away. All available at mass retail and for £20 - £40. Even the BMF could be had for sub £100. Great days.

Hey all, long time 3.75 collector here but have never bought troopers. Just decided that I am going to jump into building imperial troops and wondering if anyone has suggestions on cost effective ways on doing it.

I’m not really keen on 5poa but okay weaving a few in here and there. Also don’t want to be driving around a lot as I prefer buying online.

Looking at only OT, R1, solo and EU troopers. Any advice on getting some good deals? I haven’t seen many lots on ebay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all, long time 3.75 collector here but have never bought troopers. Just decided that I am going to jump into building imperial troops and wondering if anyone has suggestions on cost effective ways on doing it.

I’m not really keen on 5poa but okay weaving a few in here and there. Also don’t want to be driving around a lot as I prefer buying online.

Looking at only OT, R1, solo and EU troopers. Any advice on getting some good deals? I haven’t seen many lots on ebay

The are re-releasing the Storm Trooper for the Vintage Collection early next year...you could order a lot of those for retail cost when they come out.

So I just got back from Disneyworld. And my 3 year old daughter pretty much got a suitcase full of toys and stuff, but she wants to play with my souvenir instead. Makes me proud :lol

25a1140880b3e703b8bdb77f8b1b1a37.jpg

I would go with Superman-Prime’s suggestion for the troops more in the front of your display. The Range trooper and RO Tank Driver VTC’s are out now as well.

Then go for the 5 poa stuff for more the space fillers. The RO 5 poa regular stormy sports an amazing sculpt by the way!

There’s also a really nice Solo trooper multi pack at Targets now. You get the mimban trooper, two mud troopers, the patrol trooper, Sandtrooper, and a tie pilot. Its probably the best deal you’ll get as far as army building goes.

Back