2016 Oscar Nominations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't think that it's fair for a movie to come out between Christmas and the last day of the year, only shown in select cities then win at the academy awards. Spotlight??? The Danish Girl???? i may not be a movie aficionado but when did these come out?

I thought Chris Rock was mediocre at best with hosting. I knew he'd do nothing but make black jokes all night. Very ho-hum. I haven't seen any of the best picture
nominated films to really comment, but my wife said Spotlight was very good, so I guess.

I thought Chris Rock was mediocre at best with hosting. I knew he'd do nothing but make black jokes all night. Very ho-hum. I haven't seen any of the best picture
nominated films to really comment, but my wife said Spotlight was very good, so I guess.

Well, that's Chris Rock's "thing", not to mention that it was the major headline surrounding the Oscars this year.

I only saw 2, The Martian and Mad Max.

I really don't think that it's fair for a movie to come out between Christmas and the last day of the year, only shown in select cities then win at the academy awards. Spotlight??? The Danish Girl???? i may not be a movie aficionado but when did these come out?

Spotlight came out on November 6th, featured an all star cast, and grossed just under $50 million at the domestic box office. The Danish Girl was released on November 27th and grossed $44 million.

Prior to the Oscars Spotlight won the Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Cast, Writers Guild Award for Best Screenplay, and Critics Choice Award for Best Picture. It was a top shelf film on all levels focusing on a very relevant issue. So it had the "important" thing going for it in addition to the solid filmmaking. Perfect fodder for awards. If these movies are going under your radar it's simply because you weren't paying attention. Not that you need to but there's a whole cinematic world out there beyond Age of Ultron, Jurassic World, and The Force Awakens. ;)

I stopped giving the Oscars any real credence many many years ago. It's a self-congratulatory pat on the back, decided on by a private organization of industry players. Many awards, like Leo's, come because that group feels that it is time for X person to get one (Scorsese, Denzel, etc.). And voters can be swayed by timing, promotion, and other factors. It's not up to a public vote, and there are no objective standards. So really, it doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot.

BUT, still great that Mad Max got so much recognition. It should have won EVERY AWARD.

With all the fuss about African Americans not getting nominated, it was kind of appropriate. :lol Most of those movies, my friends and I forgot about, most of which are huge movie buffs and in one's case, it even ties into her job!

Leo getting an Oscar is nice. The reactions to that were outstanding.

They are going to start nominating a lot of black actors just to save face which to me seems just as racist. Or random wins, just as racist as not nominating

that's why I had trouble taking the black lives matter movement seriously, u have Latinos getting beaten left and right but we are all supposed to chant BLM..... ?

dNAlLQU.gif

Back