2016 Oscar Nominations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best Picture
The Martian

Best Actor
Matt Damon, The Martian

Best Directing
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Film Editing
Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Original Score
John Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Production Design
The Martian

Best Visual Effects
The Martian

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Martian

Best Original Screenplay
Ex Machina

Best Cinematography

Best Costume Design

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Best Sound Editing
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Sound Mixing
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Here are my picks.

Nice to see The Force Awakens receiving the most nominations of any Star Wars film since the original. Abrams and Kasdan did a great job of making SW respectable again.

Nominations for the 88th Annual Academy Awards were announced today, and the latest film in the Star Wars saga, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has been nominated in five categories:

Film Editing – Maryann Brandon and Mary Jo Markey
Original Score – John Williams
Visual Effects – Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan, and Chris Corbould
Sound Editing – Matthew Wood and David Acord
Sound Mixing – Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio, and Stuart Wilson

This marks the most nominations for a Star Wars film since the release of the original Star Wars in 1977, which received 10 nods and won six Oscars; The Empire Strikes Back (1980) received three nominations, winning two Oscars; Return of the Jedi (1983) nabbed four nominations with one win; The Phantom Menace (1999) captured three nominations; Attack of the Clones (2002) and Revenge of the Sith (2005) both received one nomination.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Receives 5 Oscar Nominations | StarWars.com

movie-worries-walken-yawn.jpg

And hopefully Force Awakens doesn't win any of them. It reached it's goal, earning a lot of money based on a product that appealed to the lowest common denominator, the masses.

And hopefully Force Awakens doesn't win any of them. It reached it's goal, earning a lot of money based on a product that appealed to the lowest common denominator, the masses.

You sound very bitter.

Star Wars isn't exactly Jerry Springer, nor is it high art. It's accesible, engaging entertainment that has held many generations spellbound. There's a difference between lowest common denominator and crowd pleasing entertainment.

Now if you said that about Transformers, I might agree with you. Don't worry, looks like BvS will be lowest common denominator entertainment from what I've seen so far. I'm sure you'll think it's the second coming. ;)

And I don't disagree with any of that rushmore, especially about Transformers.

Oh and I see you edited your post. I don't agree with that last bit you included though. :lol Based on what I've seen, I don't think I'm going to like Batman v Superman very much. It looks bad, might even suck if that's the best WB is showing. Then again I thought Force Awakens looked like a fan film based on the trailers and it turned out alright.

To get back on topic, I really want George Miller, Sylvester Stallone and Ennio Morricone to win in their categories. I think it would be cool and I doubt they'll get another chance, especially Morricone.

Oh and I see you edited your post. I don't agree with that last bit you included though. :lol

Based on what I've seen, I don't think I'm going to like Batman v Superman very much. It looks bad, might even suck if that's the best WB is showing. Then again I thought Force Awakens looked like a fan film based on the trailers and it turned out alright.

I generally stay out of he BVS thread, so I just assumed you were fully invested in that one. ;)

Yeah, I probably edited it as you were agreeing with me, seems like a cheap shot now.

I have to stay out of BVS thread for fear of seeing Jessie Eisenberg gifs, I cannot stand him, very irritating. And to cast him as Lex Luthor?! Purely Vomit Inducing choice they made.

Seeing who Sly is up against i think he could take home his first Best Actor Oscar Award.What a moment when he walked up on stage at the Golden Globes.

Hope he gets it. His Rocky performances have always been good in my judgement as a newb Rocky fan but clearly this one in particular strikes a certain chord. It legitimises everything that went before and in a way feels more real because of all the previous films. You feel like you've actually seen this one guy's whole life (from 30 onwards) and now here he is up against his own mortality and trying to figure out what his place is at that point, especially when he's on his own again - wife is dead, friends are dead, children moved on etc

This was a pretty weak year in film from the looks of it.

My picks

Best Picture

The Revenant

Best Actor

Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs

Best Actress

Brie Larson, Room

Best Supporting Actor

My gut says Christian Bale, The Big Short

but I'm going with Sly

Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Best Supporting Actress

Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight

Best Directing

Alejandro González Iñárritu, The Revenant

Boy...was I wrong :lol

Very happy to see Ex Machina win Best Visual Effects and Vikander Best Supporting Actress for The Danish Girl. Her Danish Girl win instantly and retroactively makes Ex Machina a "Best Visual Effects, Featuring Academy Award Winning Actress..." film. Yes!

I was pulling for Brooklyn or Spotlight to take the top prize, I would have preferred Brooklyn but am still happy for the latter.

Back