1000toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1000toys - TOA Heavy Industries Synthetic Human

I'm just saying translation in general.

I'm just saying
'重力子放射線射出装置' translated to 'Gravitational Beam Emitter'
doesn't have the same nuance when I read them.

If you don't read Japanese, how would you possibly know the difference I feel here?

If you think French literature can be perfectly translated into Japanese or even English, then fine - we can stop discuss it.
That's what I'm saying, the style may be lost, or as you say, the nuance, but the meaning gets across, or how would you translate "Gravitational whatever" that would so utterly change the atmosphere or the subject matter?

I don't know the difference, my point is that the fact that style is affected is always taken into consideration when reading foreign stuff, but that doesn't keep it from landing what it wants to land.

I never said it can be perfectly translated, but it can be functionally translated well enough, it's not some lost or dead language and we're not dealing with poetry either.

So me not liking some manga because of translation is a nice scapegoat to relieve the material from any responsibility, but anyone who reads manga is well aware of the possibility of style differences, so the excuse is not effective, especially considering I'm an avid manga fan and have liked plenty of manga throughout my life without any cultural impediments, again, check the sig :lol

So again, what is there in Biomega that could've possibly made me misinterpret it so bad due to translation that it made me not like it? It's an honest question, since this is the point you're getting at.

I'm just saying translation in general.

I'm just saying
'重力子放射線射出装置' translated to 'Gravitational Beam Emitter'
doesn't have the same nuance when I read them.

If you don't read Japanese, how would you possibly know the difference I feel here?

If you think French literature can be perfectly translated into Japanese or even English, then fine - we can stop discuss it.

that is actually a poor translation with 30% message lost.

Google translate did better:

'重力子放射線射出装置' Gravitator radiation emitting device

but a cooler translation would be something like 'Gravitational particle radioactive launcher device'

many jokes gets lost even if the translator put foot note about them because you won't really get it unless you understood the original language. especially those puns.

but hey if you don't read the language the 2nd best option is reading the translated ones where things bound to go lost on translations. especially those soft touches.

i would think a decent fan translated comic would be better than the official ones because fans know the comic inside out while the ones working on the official translation may have better translation skills they might not know the comic well enough to translate them close to perfect. Since to describe things there's multiple ways of doing it the translator might have chosen the less optimal choice for a certain character because he/she doesn't know the character well enough. unless they've been working on it since 1st volume to know the story inside out.

That's what I'm saying, the style may be lost, or as you say, the nuance, but the meaning gets across, or how would you translate "Gravitational whatever" that would so utterly change the atmosphere or the subject matter?

I don't know the difference, my point is that the fact that style is affected is always taken into consideration when reading foreign stuff, but that doesn't keep it from landing what it wants to land.

I never said it can be perfectly translated, but it can be functionally translated well enough, it's not some lost or dead language and we're not dealing with poetry either.

So me not liking some manga because of translation is a nice scapegoat to relieve the material from any responsibility, but anyone who reads manga is well aware of the possibility of style differences, so the excuse is not effective, especially considering I'm an avid manga fan and have liked plenty of manga throughout my life without any cultural impediments, again, check the sig :lol

So again, what is there in Biomega that could've possibly made me misinterpret it so bad due to translation that it made me not like it? It's an honest question, since this is the point you're getting at.

I'm not trying to convince you to like his art. No. That's never a point.
First I was curious about how different approach to this figure line lead to different opinion.
While discussing it, you mentioned reading translated manga have zero impact on decision factor on liking/not liking.
Functionally translating word to word is just tasteless dry interpretation of someone's art in any way.
So I said I don't agree on that with importance of subtle nuance of each choice of word - not the culture.

BTW, for the other thread readers. I'm sorry to drag this conversation.
While I was taking photos of my figures, I found his original concept art for the base body and originally planned other figure concepts.
They are quite nice.
11868310374_534d23261c_z.jpg
11868165153_993a91e450_z.jpg

I think this one is much cooler than released 黒疾
11868164873_aaabdee671_z.jpg
These also
11867878865_e4a0fb76b9_z.jpg
11868309794_ea35101de8_z.jpg

Maybe they will continue the line with these after the old man 'KAIGEN'

While discussing it, you mentioned reading translated manga have zero impact on decision factor on liking/not liking.
Which holds true, especially for avid manga readers who are aware of style shortcomings in translations.

Functionally translating word to word is just tasteless dry interpretation of someone's art in any way.
It can be, at times, not always though, luckily manga doesn't hang on the single thread of the writing style and skill of manga artists in relation to translations.

So I said I don't agree on that with importance of subtle nuance of each choice of word - not the culture.
Oh so not the culture, I did ask for a specific example of severe effects of poor translation, but anyway, if you don't agree, then you don't agree.

You and me both Echo! Now if only DHL could track down the second one :(

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You and me both Echo! Now if only DHL could track down the second one :(

Oh wow now whatif they can't find it will 1000toys make good ?
I like these so much I bought two of them

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I hope so! I'm in a weird situation: I had them delivered to my university's package centre, and the staff over there say only one package was delivered. DHL tracking doesn't say if both packages were delivered, or just one, and 1000Toys definitely shipped both out. Hopefully they will replace it if it was lost, but I'm not expecting anything since that would really be going above and beyond.

Shipping notice came through for the 1/12.

". . .will be shipped out sequentially between January 30th and February 4th."

I hope so! I'm in a weird situation: I had them delivered to my university's package centre, and the staff over there say only one package was delivered. DHL tracking doesn't say if both packages were delivered, or just one, and 1000Toys definitely shipped both out. Hopefully they will replace it if it was lost, but I'm not expecting anything since that would really be going above and beyond.
Any sign of ur second figure ?

Any sign of ur second figure ?

1000Toys has been exchanging emails with me. I confirmed with the package center that they only received one package, so now 1000Toys is following up with DHL. If DHL says both were delivered, I don't know what will happen. I can't blame 1000Toys for a delivery problem and they shouldn't have to pay for DHL's mistake. But making a claim for items lost during shipping is such a pain.

So my experience with dhl and this recent batch of figures, I had ordered 3. They all shipped on the same waybill, however they got transfered to usps for some reason. One would think that if all three figures were all on the same waybill, it would be one package, right? Well it was 3 individual packages, so when usps received it it then became three tracking numbers but only one got delivered to me. Thusly I had to go through the hassle of calling dhl, speaking with the post office and waiting a while until the other two boxes ever showed up... what alerted me to this all is on the dhl label is it will say 1 of 2 or 2/3 ect. So if you only got one but we're expecting two, check the label for the piece quantity because it might be on a different waybill number entirely.

Oh god. My package was 1 of 2, yeah. Did yours show up eventually?

I just called DHL and according to their courier both packages were delivered. What a mess.

Hopefully no DHL employee stole one.

Oh god. My package was 1 of 2, yeah. Did yours show up eventually?

Well I hope things work out for u..I had to pay $70 more to buy a second one ..now prices are about $110 more and rising
1000Toys has been exchanging emails with me. I confirmed with the package center that they only received one package, so now 1000Toys is following up with DHL. If DHL says both were delivered, I don't know what will happen. I can't blame 1000Toys for a delivery problem and they shouldn't have to pay for DHL's mistake. But making a claim for items lost during shipping is such a pain.

Yeah, mine all came. Check if they maybe used a different waybill number for the second. I'm not fond of dhl, I've always seem to have issues with them...

Turned out I'd preordered the 1/12 Synthetic Human with HLJ and completely forgotten about it. Decided to just pay up for it rather than putting them to the trouble of cancelling it. Any in-hand pictures yet? I'd like to know what I'm in for.

Still sour about missing the original 1/6 release and the convention exclusive variant, if I'm honest.

Back