1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lukesnowspeeder.jpg

^
Way chunky. You can't tell me they're the same boots. He must've had three different pairs for the three outfits (Hoth / Snowspeeder / Bespin).

Ha, I was just about to post that photo. There's a difference between boots when feet are in them, for sure. Also some of the Hoth scenes with the Wampa or press photos Luke doesn't seem to be wearing the full outdoor gear on, fewer layers maybe. When you see him out in the cold, his hoth suit is bulked up.
LH6.jpg

Nah, it's nothing to do with feet in them, there were stunt and extra-cold versions done for various scenes as well. The extra padding meant they had to extend the straps on the boots.

But I guess the point is, he wore the same boots as he did in Bespin, according to the OT Costume book anyway, he must have pulled the white stripes off on Dagobah. Or he had a Zoolander *Derelicte* version ready for the swamps stored in his X-wing.:lol

esbe12_zpsf2tgc1sc.jpg

dotry_zpsvr31jurw.jpg

Last edited:
Sideshow really cheaped out on the boots. They feel like a very thin rubber. They are awful. They will probably deteriorate as fast as Hot Toys ED-209.

Frustratingly enough, I was trying to find some stills via google, & all that was coming up was the damn SSC figure - & some POTF2 12" crap. :lol

I'm pretty sure they're "supposed" to be the same boots, but clearly different props were used. When he changes into his flight gear he's wearing the same boots as when wearing his cold weather gear, with white-ish lashings. Still the same when he lands on Dagobah. When he changes into his Dagobah/Bespin fatigues he's now wearing cleaner boots with tan lashings. The fit a bit tighter but that's probably due to the outfit under them. When he leaves and changes back into flight gear the boots stay the same, tan lashings. I don't even want to know how many pairs of pants he went through, because even though they're a bit soiled, on Bespin they're clearly cleaner than when he was on Dagobah - and not nearly as obviously ripped.

All the companies have taken artistic liberties, including Hot Toys - while it's nice to have fabric, they're a little too form-fitting and the sole is wrong. Rory's last (figure) boot picture looks good though. Nice mods.

What I was looking at the movie for was to see if I could spot the lashings terminating on the inside of the leg - I couldn't. That's would just be bad design, you'd constantly be rubbing the ends together. If you look at one of those prop images you it looks like they took two left boots and put them on display - the lashings close to the left on both boots.

Yes, but look at the size of his orange flight suit there? :lol
That was a stand in cold weather version, they opened the straps on the boots to accommodate the giant michelin man suit.
They used several different versions, including a extreme weather version, a stunt version etc. I have some stills of the hero costume from the Costume Book, let me dig them out.
Yeah, good point actually - I thought about that after I posted those. :lol

They obviously 'open up' or widen, to accommodate varying legging / pant thicknesses, or padding etc.

But I guess the point is, he wore the same boots as he did in Bespin, according to the OT Costume book anyway, he must have pulled the white stripes off on Dagobah. Or he had a Zoolander *Derelicte* version ready for the swamps stored in his X-wing.:lol

Gotcha, so are you mainly going for consistency, then? Or cloth preference? To me I still don't see much wrong with the SS boots as there are shots like both where the straps are just as spread in the Hoth gear as when he's wearing the Michelin man suit as you put it.

I just like cloth/material boots as opposed to sculpted? Not a fan of rubber parts generally, and I always liked the design of the *mukluk* (learned that word from the OT costume book :lol) type boot.
The Bespin boots are pretty close, but too rigid and tight, so happy enough with these now I've done a bit of work on them. I will weather and snow them up with the rest of the figure. It would be easy enough to bulk them out, but I like Luke's look in the Wampa cave etc, when he is looking slender.

3_zpsd95otecc.jpg

By the way, it looks like mine came on a Pro 1.1 or 1.2. Anyway, it's about same size as Ht Bespin Luke.

By the way, it looks like mine came on a Pro 1.1 or 1.2. Anyway, it's about same size as Ht Bespin Luke.

HT Bespin Luke is shorter than most 1/6 scale figures (based on HT's slim model). Too tall for Hamill, but still shorter than a "regular" body. Kind of implies it would have to be the Pro 1.0 or something else besides the previously depicted 1.1 or 1.2.

Mine is the EX like TK and here's the body:

Looks like Pro 1.1. This pretty much confirms that these have been produced with different bodies.

Where did the earlier shipments come from? Direct from HK? It'll be interesting to see if the body swapping continues in the packages coming direct from Sideshow and authorized dealers. There could be something fishy going on... ;)

Back